Club Deanna Giant Woman At North Houston Strip Club

clintor3

Does anyone recall a north Houston men’s club in the '70s that had a statue of a giant woman oriented so that patrons entering or leaving had to walk between her legs?

The tale may be apocryphal. Here's what I've been told about it: It was in the vicinity of IAH. The statue measured 50 feet or more. And it chagrined critics because of a loophole the club found to circumvent the city's building codes: being a self-supporting structure unattached to the club itself, the statue wasn't subject to the codes. The city and club were at loggerheads, so the story goes, the former stymied in finding a way to force removal, and her reign ended only when the club closed sometime later that decade.

A name or even general location would be really helpful! Thanks!

Does anyone recall a north Houston men’s club in the '70s that had a statue of a giant woman oriented so that patrons entering or leaving had to walk between her legs?

The tale may be apocryphal. Here's what I've been told about it: It was in the vicinity of IAH. The statue measured 50 feet or more. And it chagrined critics because of a loophole the club found to circumvent the city's building codes: being a self-supporting structure unattached to the club itself, the statue wasn't subject to the codes. The city and club were at loggerheads, so the story goes, the former stymied in finding a way to force removal, and her reign ended only when the club closed sometime later that decade.

A name or even general location would be really helpful! Thanks!

It wasn't a statue. It was a big sign. I remember seeing it all the time when I was a kid as we lived nearby. (It was around in the 80s too.) It's right off the Beltway, north side of town between 45 and 59 on the east bound side (opposite side of the Beltway to Greenspoint Mall). The sign's still there, but rather than a lady, the picture's been replaced with a big arrow or something like that. The building is a carpet store or a furniture store or something like that now.

Excellent info, AtticaFlinch. Thanks!

So this sign with the 2-D giantess in question -- is it a standalone sign in the parking lot, like a billboard, or is it set up like I heard (i.e., so that patrons at one time could have entered/exited between legs)? I tried nosing around that part of the Beltway on Google Maps, but I couldn't find a furniture or carpet store. Do you maybe know the cross street? Is it right on the feeder?

or something like that..... or something like that now....or something like that....or something like that...or...

Flinch, quit thinking about the giant woman, and get it together mate!

Clintor3: Message from Clintor 1, " That was NOT excellent info dude...?

This post has officially restored my lagging faith in the HAIF. It sums up everything I love about it here: history, buildings, intellectual curiosity, community, freaky things.

If 'giant woman at 70s north Houston strip club' doesn't pique your interest, you are officially dead inside.

This post has officially restored my lagging faith in the HAIF. It sums up everything I love about it here: history, buildings, intellectual curiosity, community, freaky things.

If 'giant woman at 70s north Houston strip club' doesn't pique your interest, you are officially dead inside.

Actually, considering what I THOUGHT this thread was about, I can hardly hide my disappointment that the subject matter is merely a sign.

Does Summit Flooring ring a bell, AtticaFlinch? It's on the eastbound Beltway 8 feeder just east of the Hardy Toll Road and has a big arrow-like freestanding sign at the parking lot's entrance.

Yep. That's it. I just looked it up on google maps street view to verify it. The sign's still there on google, though I must admit it's considerably less impressive than your friends had led you to believe. Though as a young boy, it made a hell of an impression on me.

There was a club like you described on the feeder road of 59 just past the (northbound) Aldine Mail Route exit. I went in there in 1978 or '79 on a lark with my boss at the time, along with a couple of customers/friends from Odessa. I think I went back once, but my boss was a frequent customer there.

I'm not sure, but the name of the place may have been Shady Lady, or something like that. It may have been a “strip club”, but it was definitely a club of “ill repute”.

There was a club like you described on the feeder road of 59 just past the (northbound) Aldine Mail Route exit. I went in there in 1978 or '79 on a lark with my boss at the time, along with a couple of customers/friends from Odessa. I think I went back once, but my boss was a frequent customer there.

I'm not sure, but the name of the place may have been Shady Lady, or something like that. It may have been a “strip club”, but it was definitely a club of “ill repute”.

So it was actually a statue, not a big sign like the one AtticaFlinch recalled? That sounds like it. Do you remember anything else about it?

No, it was a two-dimensional sign and not a statue, and the entry door was situated between the woman's legs. My guess is that it was about 15-20 feet tall.

Shady Lady was basically a small, sleazy nudie bar that sold sex in the back room. What else do you want to know?

As I was posting the above, it came to me that I do recall seeing the sign on the North Belt knowing it was the same sign that was at Shady Lady on 59. But I can't remember if it was still a woman, or something else, like a cartoon-like character. But I did know it was the same sign.

As I was posting the above, it came to me that I do recall seeing the sign on the North Belt knowing it was the same sign that was at Shady Lady on 59. But I can't remember if it was still a woman, or something else, like a cartoon-like character. But I did know it was the same sign.

The sign on the beltway was definitely a woman. In the early 80s my family lived in Greenridge North and we drove past it all the time. That sign used to drive my preadolescent mind crazy.

Flinch, quit thinking about the giant woman, and get it together mate!

Clintor3: Message from Clintor 1, " That was NOT excellent info dude...?

Can't one of the admins just delete posts like this?! Or better yet, the entire account... :angry2:

Please use the report button located beneath each post - it's not guaranteed that all complaints will be seen by moderators within the thread.

That being written, I can urge folks to keep it on topic but that's about it. Deletion or editing is usually reserved for privacy, copyright, or other similar issues..

Can't one of the admins just delete posts like this?! Or better yet, the entire account... :angry2:
Just what was it about this thread that you found so offensive? I can't for the life of me find a single salacious or vulgar word or sentence in the entire thread.

Just what was it about this thread that you found so offensive? I can't for the life of me find a single salacious or vulgar word or sentence in the entire thread.

What I find offensive are posts that contribute absolutely nothing to the topic, but instead, are offered merely to ridicule others. Sef: sorry, I didn't see the little "report" button that was right in front of me. :rolleyes:

What I find offensive are posts that contribute absolutely nothing to the topic, but instead, are offered merely to ridicule others. Sef: sorry, I didn't see the little "report" button that was right in front of me. :rolleyes:

Considering I was the object of the "ridicule", or as I actually saw it, the joke, and I didn't get offended by it, I think you'd be best served not getting your knickers in a knot. I appreciate your concern for my delicate ego, but really, I'm quite alright. People make jokes on the ol' interwebs, and not all of them start out "Knock knock" and end with "Orange you glad I didn't say banana".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a picture of the big gal in an old book (in storage at the moment).

I knew I had a picture of this!

I give you....the Shady Lady!!

Shady_Lady.png

This is a Paul Hester photograph from a book of his photos from the early 80s.  Great shots of how the city looked back then.

Wow, Subdude, you did come through with your promise! Google Earth shows a house there in 1978, then a single building in 1989, then a second building behind it by 1995 (must have closed by then). The most recent section (built in front) was added between '95 and '02.

• The title was changed to Club Deanna Giant Woman At North Houston Strip Club

Archived