JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

However, I'm a bit concerned with how "convincing" the fake stone is. Under the right (wrong?) light, you can see the imperfections in the finish, making the various bumps and stuff in the fake stone very visible:

876mwyXl.jpg

(

On the bright side (no pun intended), most people wont be able to tell for the street, correct?

Rechlin since you obviously have access to some good views of this project. I was wondering in your birdseye view of the penthouse i notice in the background what looks to be a rooftop garden. The curve in the edge of the wall makes me think it might be the gap in the Hine's  Main street  building. Am I close?

Rechlin since you obviously have access to some good views of this project. I was wondering in your birdseye view of the penthouse i notice in the background what looks to be a rooftop garden. The curve in the edge of the wall makes me think it might be the gap in the Hine's  Main street  building. Am I close?

You are mostly correct. That is on top of the garage podium for BG Place.

bobruss,

User brijonmang is correct. Here's the uncropped photo, taken from the Chase Tower Sky Lobby, with BG Group Place in the middle and 806 Main in the lower right (click for 3 megapixel resolution):

XoBNxAol.jpg

Someone said they are going to add a rooftop patio for the JW Marriott, but I'm not sure where it will go. As you can see, on the top there isn't much room for it, so either it will go there anyway around the penthouse and A/C equipment, or more likely, it will have to be on the roof of the next-door Battlestein's, which is much larger, and already has a door to it from the 13th floor of 806 Main.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, H-Town Man, the Sky Lobby has been open for at least a few weeks.

Back to 806 Main, they've made tremendous progress this past week. The penthouse is now painted on the southeast side (changed from white to tan), and the façade now has paint down to the 17th floor. They added more detail between the 20th and 21st floors with a circle/arc pattern. They also added a little bit to the southwest façade wrapping around the corner (not really visible in this photo but on the left side). Click for a larger view:

D2HkGtul.jpg

• Like 1

Not all of it. Still missing the detail from the roof level (22nd floor), though it looks like the detail below the roof level has been mostly retained. Compare, for example to this rendering from before. They said it would be an "abstract" interpretation of the original appearance, but it does seem like they've scaled the design back somewhat (click for higher resolution):

j5RgwzAl.jpg

Here are the more recent renderings, where you can see the missing detail (they even only have a nighttime rendering of the top to make it less obvious!):

dawK95Z.jpg

yu8QoJN.jpg

• Like 1

I agree that this was better than the God awful mostrocity that existed there before. I worry how this fake stone lasts long term, because i think we are all aware... it doesnt. It is not stone, so it will eventually need to be redone. But you are all right, this will give an impression of the original state of the building - which is good. One thing missing, is the top detail, which really makes these buildings in my opinion. Without that detail, it doesnt look quite right.

Comment to the picture above - whats the plan for the dark colored concrete on the lower section? painted brick? brick tiles? or...?

• Like 1

I'm Sorry...what's the problem with the rendering and why is this such a disappointment? 

It is my opinion. You can certainly have yours. Why is it a disappointment?

1. Because the initial renderings showed the building back to 100% true form

2. Because materials they are using are untrue and lower end than I hoped

3. Because the last rendering shows much detail taken away

4. No clock on the bottom

5. The coloring and contrast looks to lessened.

That is why I think it is a dissapointment. I am a traditionalist though when it comes to renovations.

It is my opinion. You can certainly have yours. Why is it a disappointment?

1. Because the initial renderings showed the building back to 100% true form

Well, that would have been nice. And they tried. But after removing the facade, the brick wasn't in good condition. They would have had to redo the entire thing.

Well, that would have been nice. And they tried. But after removing the facade, the brick wasn't in good condition. They would have had to redo the entire thing.

It goes back to the short sighted, idiot who thought it was a great idea to mess alter this in the first place.

I wish that never happened.

I hope it comes together and is still impressive. My biggest grievance is the top detail gone. completely gone... they need an overhang in there, but didn't design for that in the redesign. I hope to be impressed, but my expectations have gone down.

Much of the original top detail was lost when the additional floors were added to the first incarnation of the building. As far as the loss of detail between the original and final renderings, the new version is simpler but I still think it will look good.

• Like 2