JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

is that skinny building actually part of the hotel?  upon what capacity?  if it is actually part of the hotel, then what is it's history vs function?  was it annexed?  

It was being renovated concurrently. I don't think anyone ever figured out if it was previously internally contiguous with the 806 Main building (or if they did, I missed it), why it was clad in a different curtain wall than 806's 1960's reskin, or really what it's deal was in any respect. Its mystery was always part of its charm. 

They added a new stairwell up out of its roof to the top level of the 806 Main building, and there are new interior walls being constructed in it, so it's part of the hotel, not sure if there is any real difference at all, apart from the exterior.

I think they should make it a separate Super Secret Exclusive Black Label Executive Club hotel and keep with the building's obscure history. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 3

You know - I wish the materials were better (real brick / stone), but at the same time... this building was farther gone than we thought... and we are lucky to have a reincarnated version of this building.

• Like 1

You know - I wish the materials were better (real brick / stone), but at the same time... this building was farther gone than we thought... and we are lucky to have a reincarnated version of this building.

I think it looks more like a reincarnation of the Magnolia Hotel. But, all snark aside, I'm really happy this is the fate of the building and not the wrecking ball.

• Like 1

More great news on the dining team: Plinio Sandalio to join JW Marriott Houston Downtown

http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/2014/04/plinio-sandalio-to-join-jw-marriott-houston-downtown/

Erin Smith was previously confirmed as the executive chef so it sounds like they are creating a serious restaurant and lounge.

My wife and I will be there the week it opens ...... Anyone know when that might be?

My wife and I will be there the week it opens ...... Anyone know when that might be?

Late summer or early fall if memory serves. You can check the Marriott website and see when they start to allow reservations. The restaurants may have a soft opening prior to that, maybe it would be worth asking around. 

That skinny building, is it a separate building or is it actually part of the Marriott?

It is part of the hotel. Monarch just asked the same question. Post #456 above, to which I responded:

It was being renovated concurrently. I don't think anyone ever figured out if it was previously internally contiguous with the 806 Main building (or if they did, I missed it), why it was clad in a different curtain wall than 806's 1960's reskin, or really what it's deal was in any respect. Its mystery was always part of its charm. 

They added a new stairwell up out of its roof to the top level of the 806 Main building, and there are new interior walls being constructed in it, so it's part of the hotel, not sure if there is any real difference at all, apart from the exterior.

I think they should make it a separate Super Secret Exclusive Black Label Executive Club hotel and keep with the building's obscure history. 

Facade still looks pretty cheap--did they actually say, by the way, that they would "restore" the facade or just resurface it as something similar before the first resurfacing?

I doubt that anything was specifically mentioned about how the exterior would be refurbished. The only real indications of intent that I saw were the renderings, but there may have been some description along with one of those presentations at some point.

The original facade did not look capable of being restored. The mastic that was applied over the brick pretty much ruined it. There were strips taken out of the 60's curtain wall for a long time prior to the restoration work being started, which I took as a sign that they were evaluating their options there. 

Short of re-bricking the whole thing again and doing new stone work around the details, what they used is probably about as good as you can get. Who knows how the economics shake out, but I would imagine that there was no one willing to pay for new brick/stone. It took a city backed loan to get this to happen at all. As it sits, I wonder if similar square footage could not have been constructed on an empty lot for less from scratch.

It is a compromise to be sure, but I don't think it looks bad, just not as good as it would have with real masonry.

Judging by the new scaffolding, I am guessing that real brick might be going up on the bottom 3 floors.  

Edited by Nate99

Judging by the new scaffolding, I am guessing that real brick might be going up on the bottom 3 floors.  

I think it will be stone / limestone type... That with maybe a mixture of some brick... judging on the renderings

I doubt that anything was specifically mentioned about how the exterior would be refurbished. The only real indications of intent that I saw were the renderings, but there may have been some description along with one of those presentations at some point.

The original facade did not look capable of being restored. The mastic that was applied over the brick pretty much ruined it. There were strips taken out of the 60's curtain wall for a long time prior to the restoration work being started, which I took as a sign that they were evaluating their options there. 

Short of re-bricking the whole thing again and doing new stone work around the details, what they used is probably about as good as you can get. Who knows how the economics shake out, but I would imagine that there was no one willing to pay for new brick/stone. It took a city backed loan to get this to happen at all. As it sits, I wonder if similar square footage could not have been constructed on an empty lot for less from scratch.

It is a compromise to be sure, but I don't think it looks bad, just not as good as it would have with real masonry.

They did take out pretty much everything related to the building's previous life: you can see the riveted I-beams first installed years and years ago.

I believe it about putting brick on the lower levels though--a large apartment tower in the "far northwest exurbs" here has brick on the first floor (where a CVS and sandwich shop are) and surrounding the parking garage directly above it, but stucco on the building above. The end result, unfortunately, is still pretty hideous (http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/hkM5d7_SePkabqyNa2VxgQ/l.jpg)

They did take out pretty much everything related to the building's previous life: you can see the riveted I-beams first installed years and years ago.

I believe it about putting brick on the lower levels though--a large apartment tower in the "far northwest exurbs" here has brick on the first floor (where a CVS and sandwich shop are) and surrounding the parking garage directly above it, but stucco on the building above. The end result, unfortunately, is still pretty hideous (http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/hkM5d7_SePkabqyNa2VxgQ/l.jpg)

I agree, but I think we will see real stone.

it does look somewhat cheap, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why.  It is fairly close to the original, at least in the middle range of floors.  I think maybe it's that beige color.  Perhaps if it were painted white like the original building it would look nicer.

• Like 1

it does look somewhat cheap, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why.  It is fairly close to the original, at least in the middle range of floors.  I think maybe it's that beige color.  Perhaps if it were painted white like the original building it would look nicer.

I think you're right. Beige stucco is the worse, methinks.