JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

It is my opinion that daily pictures is a little too much. Once a week would be more realistic and nice. With school almost out, I'll have more time to go around getting some shots myself.

Yeah you're right. Tell me one thing though, how is downtown? I live in the suburbs and I've never really been to downtown and I've lived here my whole life! I've been to NYC downtown more than Houston's! Are there a lot of people roaming the streets, and shops?

Yeah you're right. Tell me one thing though, how is downtown? I live in the suburbs and I've never really been to downtown and I've lived here my whole life! I've been to NYC downtown more than Houston's! Are there a lot of people roaming the streets, and shops?

Not really. Except for weekdays, downtown is usually pretty quiet, to put it nicely. There have been some major improvements though in the last decade or so and hopefully the improvements continue to happen.

You should make your way downtown sometime soon. Check out Discovery Green, some of the places in Houston Pavilions, Warren's, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the expected completion / opening date? Pearl Real Estate lists 2013 on their website (http://www.pearl-realestate.com/portfolio.html) but Central Houston estimates fall 2014 in their Q4 2012 downtown real estate update (http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-01-02/Downtown_Real_Estate_Update_2012-4Q-2.pdf).

Here's a construction photo update. Not a lot has changed week-over-week.

post-11762-0-60552900-1358994845_thumb.j

Also, this is interesting: the adjacent building on Rusk looks like it has rooms in it. Not sure if its connected to the hotel or not.

post-11762-0-53898300-1358994926_thumb.j

• Like 2

Does anyone know the expected completion / opening date? Pearl Real Estate lists 2013 on their website (http://www.pearl-realestate.com/portfolio.html) but Central Houston estimates fall 2014 in their Q4 2012 downtown real estate update (http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2013-01-02/Downtown_Real_Estate_Update_2012-4Q-2.pdf).

I would be surprised if this hotel is up and running in 2013. I understand that removing the skin is a tedious process and takes a lot of time, and for that reason I just don't think guests will be moving in in the next 11 months. I'll believe the 3Q 2014 date.

That's a different building. There's also an adjoining building on Main that looks similar but is vacant. I've long thought that both would make awesome condos. The buildings are so thin that I've thought you could put one unit per floor although I have no idea of what the floor plates look like.

I would be surprised if this hotel is up and running in 2013. I understand that removing the skin is a tedious process and takes a lot of time, and for that reason I just don't think guests will be moving in in the next 11 months. I'll believe the 3Q 2014 date.

Much of the exterior brick looks to be coated with something fairly heavy, like asphalt. Not sure how or if they will be taking that off. 

Exterior progress is slow. I still walk by there fairly often, but since it has not changed much, I haven't taken any new pictures. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Taken yesterday:

8483150405_aeb7c7204c_b.jpg

On the bottom left in this picture, through the branches, you can see where they've painted 5 different paint swatches, different colors of brown. I'm assuming they're planning to paint the concrete columns one of those colors. There is lots of nice brickwork underneath, but they seem to have ruined some of it with the concrete, so seems like they had to improvise a little.

On the bottom left in this picture, through the branches, you can see where they've painted 5 different paint swatches, different colors of brown. I'm assuming they're planning to paint the concrete columns one of those colors. There is lots of nice brickwork underneath, but they seem to have ruined some of it with the concrete, so seems like they had to improvise a little.

Whatever was under the facade skin on the brick looked really thick, like tar. I doubt it would come off easily. Some of the texture should still show through it after paint. 

Whatever was under the facade skin on the brick looked really thick, like tar. I doubt it would come off easily. Some of the texture should still show through it after paint.

I did work removing this thick black tar from the old historic courthouse downtown. They usually use an acid to burn the tar away and clean uo the area. From there I could seem them painting it after its cleaned up.

• Like 1

I did work removing this thick black tar from the old historic courthouse downtown. They usually use an acid to burn the tar away and clean uo the area. From there I could seem them painting it after its cleaned up.

Interesting. I guess abrasive sand blasting isn't an option due to the historical preservation? 

Interesting. I guess abrasive sand blasting isn't an option due to the historical preservation?

Yea a lot of the work is going to be done section by little section until all of that black tar is removed. Very time consuming, literally toothbrush work. I highly doubt any sort of sandblasting due to its historical significance.
  • Like 2