Sign in to follow this  
Houston19514

Converting 806 Main Into a JW Marriott Hotel Downtown

Part of the corner, above Dominos has been removed. I just noticed today. Maybe work is commencing.

Can anyone downtown confirm, and take a picture?

It looked like they had the sidewalk blocked off with yellow tape yesterday. I was going to look again this morning, but the train was so dang packed I couldn't see out.

There is a large dumpster on the sidewalk. Looks like some serious interior demolition work going on. Hopefully, they have finally gotten back to work on the conversion to a hotel.

Yes, former Domino's and the Christian Science Reading Room are all tore up.

Thank god.

Interesting. In the tunnels, there was once a staircase that went in to this building, I'm guessing that once they closed it up, they must have walled over the stairwell/elevator area down there, because I can't even tell where it used to be at this point, but a hotel could certainly make good use of the connection.

Hope it works out.

I was in Miami a few months ago and we stayed at a Kimpton. The guy working the front desk, upon seeing my license, said they were opening a downtown Houston hotel in the near future to join the one in Dallas already open.

It's been rumored that this is the location. I hope it's true because the Kimpton brand is top notch. I've stayed in Kimptons in NY, LA, and Miami and all were very well run, fun, quasi-hip places.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for Kimpton. Have stayed at Hotel Monaco San Francisco, 70 Park avenue NYC, Ink 48 NYC and the Eventi NYC. All were excellent and will be an excellent addition to downtown.

I was in Miami a few months ago and we stayed at a Kimpton. The guy working the front desk, upon seeing my license, said they were opening a downtown Houston hotel in the near future to join the one in Dallas already open.

It's been rumored that this is the location. I hope it's true because the Kimpton brand is top notch. I've stayed in Kimptons in NY, LA, and Miami and all were very well run, fun, quasi-hip places.

http://www.houstontx.gov/housing/publiclegal/806main.pdf

• Like 1

Kimpton brand

OK. Thanks I think. But more generally. Is it a 4-star, 5-star? What does the term actually mean in this context?

I stayed at a Hotel Monaco in Old Town Alexandria and also a Lorien in the same place. Nice places, both Kimpton.

Edited by kylejack

There is a large dumpster on the sidewalk. Looks like some serious interior demolition work going on. Hopefully, they have finally gotten back to work on the conversion to a hotel.

They had the doors open on Rusk when I walked by today. I grabbed a quick shot. It looks like the whole street level is gutted with lots of activity going on.

2m5m9du.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing news!!! So great to hear/see all of the restorations going on in Houston now!

BTW... what the HELL were people thinking in the 50s and 60s? It's like their only goal was to make buildings look as fugly as possible.

I don't guess I knew, or remembered, that this 100+ year old building was Houston's first skyscraper office building. Good to see it being saved (and revealed). I went in there one time to get a watch battery from some jeweler. It was kind of funky and reminded me of the old Cody's/Skybar building on Montrose.

There was a low rent gym on like the seventh or ninth floor of the building that I actually wanted to join, but the owner told me about the building's pending bankruptcy and how they were going to have to shut down. That was the only time I ever went in there. From the neglected tenant directory in the lobby, it looked like a pretty rag-tag list of folks in there.

http://www.downtownh...tion_Part_1.pdf

It say the hotel will be a JW Marriott brand

Wow, they are still listing Hardy Yards as a potential development site? I guess it is, but I wonder how far out it's still a possibility? My guess it's still a good ways away.

http://www.downtownh...tion_Part_1.pdf

It say the hotel will be a JW Marriott brand

That would be good. Marriott has apparently been getting more and more into the downtown market in recent years. Courtyard and Residence Inn followed by adding Hotel Icon to their Autograph Collection. Don't be surprised if the new convention center hotel ends up with a Marriott badge (e.g. Marriott Marquis)

But we still need Kimpton downtown (and one Uptown as well)

There is a very narrow vacant ~10 story office building that is immediately south of 806 Main. The main entrance to it was open one day a few months back when I walked by, couldn't make out what was going on inside apart from the ground floor being a fairly open floor plan. I have heard exactly nothing about it, and it has been empty as long as I've been walking past it.

With the refurb of 806, it makes you wonder if a structure like this is a more attractive option to renovate or if it is basically doomed to sit empty since you can't tear it down. Maybe if the hotel does well enough, they could take it too and add rooms or meeting space.

EDIT - it was the Battlestein's department store building.

Edited by Nate99

I saw a tweet that the loan application got tagged at the City Council hearing. Anybody have an update?

I saw a tweet that the loan application got tagged at the City Council hearing. Anybody have an update?

I doubt there will be any update until next week's Council meeting.

They've got a big hole at the corner of Rusk and Main now.

epr806.jpg

Yep, lots of work underway. I was going to snap a pic today, but didn't have time. Maybe after work.

Yep, lots of work underway. I was going to snap a pic today, but didn't have time. Maybe after work.

The other day I could see a bundle of large pressurized gas cylinders hoding what I preumed to be some kind of welding/cutting torch gas. Possible it could have been some kind of construction phase fire protection/extinguisher system.

They're definitely busy, but I can't imagine how long a full refurb on an old building like this would take. How long did the Inn at The Ballpark take?

Looks like they are prepping the Main Street side facade for the installation of a construction elevator. A bunch of windows are knocked out and a non-cotinuous vertical strip of facade has been stripped off.

The hole they made. During the workday those doors are open and there's lots of workers going in and out.

post-4616-0-50381300-1344959064_thumb.jp

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

The market is strong in this city. Developers know that the more people they can get to stay in the core of the city, the more it will draw retail. Such a promising development.

I was told once that the original facade was more or less intact under the newer facade panels. It will be interesting to see how true this is, and how much restoration treatment will be necessary.

Once 806 Main is restored, the disco glass facade on the Kirby Building will be one of the last remaining traces of the great wave of Main Street "modernization".

I was told once that the original facade was more or less intact under the newer facade panels. It will be interesting to see how true this is, and how much restoration treatment will be necessary.

Once 806 Main is restored, the disco glass facade on the Kirby Building will be one of the last remaining traces of the great wave of Main Street "modernization".

Based on what I saw when I was taking pictures near the site, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. Here are a few snaps...

DSC09066.jpg

DSC09063.jpg

DSC09065.jpg

There's a Wexler's Jewelry, but that was incorporated in the early 1970s so it might not be the same. The covering up of the original facade on 806 Main was completed in about 1965.

old rendering. but nice to see it again anyway. if that's the final product, it'll be one of my favorite buildings in all of Houston

• Like 1

old rendering. but nice to see it again anyway. if that's the final product, it'll be one of my favorite buildings in all of Houston

Agreed. That looks pretty sharp.

To go from what is there now to that would completely transform that block.

It is really interesting and sad to see the progression of this building.

687091-0-0-1.jpgsecnd.jpg

Love that new rendering. This is going to be a GREAT addition to downtown!

Comparing this old picture with the new rendering, it appears 6 floors were added to the building at some time.

Edited by editor
Image 404

Construction elevator has arrived.

I walk by the place all the time, so I'll do what I can to chronicle the refurb.

impduh.jpg

• Like 2