JW Marriott At 806 Main St. & Expansion Into Battlestein’s - 812 Main St.

Houston19514

I see something there, can't really say if it's stars....

I pulled out an old picture of 806 Main and you're right, there is something there that might very well be stars.  Unfortunately the resolution wasn't high enough to know for sure.  I couldn't rule out stars, but it does seem like someone of an odd touch on structures of that vintage.

• 2 weeks later...

They did a lot more painting today. Relief is done everywhere except between floors 15 and 16. Unfortunately the texture still looks really bad, so you can see many of the individual foam pieces that make up the fake stone, especially below the 15th floor in the middle of the building (click for a better view):

rjdnguNl.jpg

• Like 3

They did a lot more painting today. Relief is done everywhere except between floors 15 and 16. Unfortunately the texture still looks really bad, so you can see many of the individual foam pieces that make up the fake stone, especially below the 15th floor in the middle of the building (click for a better view):

rjdnguNl.jpg

My god they need to do something. I hope they do add that faux brick because that looks terrible.

They absolutely need to do something

Not all of it. Still missing the detail from the roof level (22nd floor), though it looks like the detail below the roof level has been mostly retained. Compare, for example to this rendering from before. They said it would be an "abstract" interpretation of the original appearance, but it does seem like they've scaled the design back somewhat (click for higher resolution):

j5RgwzAl.jpg

Here are the more recent renderings, where you can see the missing detail (they even only have a nighttime rendering of the top to make it less obvious!):

dawK95Z.jpg

yu8QoJN.jpg

I don't think the brick is happening... Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

That looks fantastic. So far so good.

It seems with indirect light, it does look good, but with direct / certain times of the day causing shadows... it looks pretty bad. Do you know anything about the facade / brick component of this?

Edited by Avossos

Part of an email I got yesterday:

Please be advised that beginning Friday, 3/28, at 11:00 pm through Sunday, 3/30, Rusk between

Main & Milam and Travis between Walker & Capital will be closed due to the

JW Marriott construction at 806 Main. 

Considering that the building itself is at the corner of Main and Rusk, whatever it is that they are planning to to ought to be interesting.  

It honestly doesnt look "bad", especially in this light.

I just hope something more has done to add any sort of brick that i feel like we were promised.

I don't think it looks terrible. I think a little bit of weathering will make the colors not so... ehhh... ticky tacky?

I'm still lost as to what exactly the fake/partially real brick actually is and how they are putting it on there. 

I think the end result will look better than plain stucco-ish whatever that is. 

Given that they have done nothing to the lower three floors, that bit of execution will be interesting to see, and I imagine that will have to start soon. Interior work is definitely moving. 

• Like 1

upon my opinion, i honestly believe that the very top of this edifice certainly needs a bit of a "crown" to make it a bit more complete.  it just seems that this effect shall indeed make the edifice more substantial and yet elegant.  nonetheless, i think that the overall concept as per this particular "marriot" shall be beautiful upon completion.

• Like 1

Let there be stick-a-brick:

IMG_0195_zps0e92f2ef.jpg

IMG_0196_zps5f59d92d.jpg

IMG_0197_zps41476bcc.jpg

yay!

that is definitely an improvement than stucco whatever!

Do you think the bottom will be real stone? my guess is the bottom 3 floors will be real limestone or something. If they do that, the building as a whole will give the impression it is real stone all over. fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Scroll through for renderings of some of the interior areas:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/eight-zero-six-main-street-houston-downtown.en-gb.html

I think it looks good - simple and classic.

It does look good considering the constraints posed by the large number of interior framework elements of a building of that vintage.  You can compare and contrast with the original interior in post #240 above.