Sterne Building At 300 Main St.

Nit Noi Thai Cafe opened for business last week downtown on the block of 300 Main Street and they were packed for lunch. Nit Noi had butcher paper up on the windows while they were doing construction to their space at 301 Main Street( previousely Cava's)at the corner of Congress. Cava's moved right across the street next to Cielo Bistro.This block seems to have emerged as Downtown's Restaurant Row as it seems to have the most restaurant cafes and bars in downtown that are all located on the same block and or within close proximity including: Mia Bella,Grum Bar, Clark's,Notsuoh,The Office Bar, Martel's Bar,Cava's Bistro,Cielo,Red Cat Jazz Cafe,Del Rey,and Voice within Hotel Icon."The Hub" building is the only remaining location on this block available for a restaurant or bar and has an updated tan stucco facade which replaced the fire engine red tile and large neon "Hub" signage. If you go to this link

and scroll towards the bottom of the page there are some cool photos of this historic block and "The Hub" building over the years:

http://www.hsacq.com/312-main-street-downtown-houston-texas

Edited by 312
  • Like 1

Too bad there's such limited residential options...

I haven't heard that there was a lack of residential in mid town...

Actually,I consider mid-town to be downtown's neighborhood which seems to have 100's of apartments and options within 2 minutes from downtown.

Is that the old Burgheim's Drug Store? If so, it was an icon when I worked downtown in the 70's-80's and 90's. They had a very good lunch counter too, something that was hard to find back then. Loved that 'witch's hat'on the roof.

Yes.I believe it's a white building with a green cone shaped roof.

Speaking of this block, Cava Bistro recently had a small budget movie shot in it and I got to be an extra. ;) Its called Playing House and its currently in post-production. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1529564/

I would like to ask the HAIF members what kind of restaurant or bar would be a fit for the "The Hub" building and that would compliment this block ? I think that a BBQ restaurant, Chinese Buffet or restaurant with crawfish might do well here. I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Here is a picture of the exterior (bottom of page):

http://www.hsacq.com/312-main-street-downtown-houston-texas

Edited by 312

Kylejack and Redscare: I appreciate your input. I figured that BBQ would be a good business downtown because it appeals to a lot of people and figured it would be great to have a place for lunch or the late night crowd frequenting the bars. I think Phili sandwiches would do well also, very unique. I have heard that on the weekends there are limited places to eat in downtown and that people end up driving either to Mai's or to Katz in the montrose area. Del Rey and Frank's pizza are apparently the only operators open late night and have heard that they have a line so long it requires a police officer to monitor it. In speaking to Nit Noi it is my understanding that this weekend they are going to start staying open late night to acommodate the crowd. I believe they will stay open until 3 am.

• Like 1

Kylejack and Redscare: I appreciate your input. I figured that BBQ would be a good business downtown because it appeals to a lot of people and figured it would be great to have a place for lunch or the late night crowd frequenting the bars. I think Phili sandwiches would do well also, very unique. I have heard that on the weekends there are limited places to eat in downtown and that people end up driving either to Mai's or to Katz in the montrose area. Del Rey and Frank's pizza are apparently the only operators open late night and have heard that they have a line so long it requires a police officer to monitor it. In speaking to Nit Noi it is my understanding that this weekend they are going to start staying open late night to acommodate the crowd. I believe they will stay open until 3 am.

wow that's awesome... thanks 312!!! I have a rehearsal in downtown late Saturday night... I'll be sure to tell people about Nit Noi!!!!

BTW... restaurants for downtown. We need more "chain places" in downtown too! A Freebirds, Taco Cabana (don't understand why this hasn't happen yet) and some other places that can immediately help to stir late night and weekend culture. Mongolian BBQ joints are always a plus for me too.

wow that's awesome... thanks 312!!! I have a rehearsal in downtown late Saturday night... I'll be sure to tell people about Nit Noi!!!!

BTW... restaurants for downtown. We need more "chain places" in downtown too! A Freebirds, Taco Cabana (don't understand why this hasn't happen yet) and some other places that can immediately help to stir late night and weekend culture. Mongolian BBQ joints are always a plus for me too.

I agree with you that some more "chain places" with name recognition at street level would be awesome. Especially, types like the ones you have mentioned that are fun to visit. Burger King as you probably know used to be located next door to Nit Noi, and am not sure why they closed that location. It would be nice to have another chain type of option other than only Subway across the street like Mc Donalds or Whataburger that might offer another reasonably priced breakfast option or even a Denny's.

There's also some kind of Seafood and Sandwich place or something coming in the old Quizno's slot (500 block).

I believe that I might know which one you are talking about it. I think it has a large red and white banner in the window. ..The Shay Mcelroy construction also on the 500 block of Main Street looks fantastic. They really did an awesome job !!

Yes, in the tunnels. Specifically, under the Reliant building. Weekdays, business hours.

I was aware of this, but still believe Whataburger could still do well at street level. I'm not sure though if the proximity to the other location would be an issue.

I spoke with a person yesterday that told me that NNks and Ktz were competing for the same space in M.Square Park.I was told that the space in the park was app. 400 SF and that this person actually made the decision to select one of these concepts. Learning of Ktz interest in the downtown area it sounded like a good idea to explore this further especially since 312 has a grease trap already w/ a starting rate of .50/SF/NNN being offered at 312. So,I asked the person who I was speaking with for the contact information for Ktz so that I could contact Ktz to see if there was potentially any interest in 312. I was told by this person that they didn't have the contact information, and couldn't even recall the name of the contact person.

• 12 years later...

In recent years the ground floor of the Sterne Building, 300 Main St, has housed several food and beverage tenants. Some of those businesses have included: tapas restaurant Cielo, coffee shop and cafe The Honeymoon, and coffee shop Boomtown.

According to an article yesterday, the owner of casual Mexican eatery and bar La Calle is opening a bar concept in the ground floor unit of the Sterne Building at 300 Main St. The bar will pay homage to 80's Spanish pop & rock music.

Posts about it were found in the Downtown Bar and Restaurant Scene - More Coming post:

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

"Ramon Soriano, owner of wildly popular taco shop La Calle, is slated to open an '80s Spanish pop and rock bar on Main Street this summer, in the space that formerly housed Boomtown Coffee."

https://www.chron.com/food/article/the-80s-are-back-downtown-houston-17272132.php

15 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Was hoping for another cafe but beggars can’t be choosers 🤷🏻‍♂️  

14 hours ago, editor said:

I won't go.  Bars (other than tiki) aren't my scene.  But I appreciate him trying to at least be a little different.

Unless 80's Spanish pop/rock bars are all over the place, and I just haven't noticed.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Sterne Building At 300 Main St.
  • 3 months later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:56 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

In recent years the ground floor of the Sterne Building, 300 Main St, has housed several food and beverage tenants. Some of those businesses have included: tapas restaurant Cielo, coffee shop and cafe The Honeymoon, and coffee shop Boomtown.

According to an article yesterday, the owner of casual Mexican eatery and bar La Calle is opening a bar concept in the ground floor unit of the Sterne Building at 300 Main St. The bar will pay homage to 80's Spanish pop & rock music.

Posts about it were found in the Downtown Bar and Restaurant Scene - More Coming post:

On 6/29/2022 at 10:03 AM, hindesky said:

"Ramon Soriano, owner of wildly popular taco shop La Calle, is slated to open an '80s Spanish pop and rock bar on Main Street this summer, in the space that formerly housed Boomtown Coffee."

https://www.chron.com/food/article/the-80s-are-back-downtown-houston-17272132.php

On 6/29/2022 at 2:50 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

Was hoping for another cafe but beggars can’t be choosers 🤷🏻‍♂️  

On 6/29/2022 at 3:32 PM, editor said:

I won't go.  Bars (other than tiki) aren't my scene.  But I appreciate him trying to at least be a little different.

Unless 80's Spanish pop/rock bars are all over the place, and I just haven't noticed.

The name of Ramon Soriano's forthcoming bar is La Diabla / La Liabla Retro Bar. This is the bar opening soon in downtown Houston's Sterne Building. It will occupy the ground floor space at 300 Main St. 

La Diabla is the sister concept to casual Mexican restaurant and bar La Calle.  Soriano's latest bar pays homage to 80's Spanish pop & rock music.

The bar was announced last week on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/ladiablaretrobar/

"Coming soon..."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj9F53YJYW0/

Vnawxp9.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2022 at 3:33 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The name of Ramon Soriano's forthcoming bar is La Diabla / La Liabla Retro Bar. This is the bar opening soon in downtown Houston's Sterne Building. It will occupy the ground floor space at 300 Main St. 

La Diabla is the sister concept to casual Mexican restaurant and bar La Calle.  Soriano's latest bar pays homage to 80's Spanish pop & rock music.

The bar was announced last week on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/ladiablaretrobar/

"Coming soon..."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj9F53YJYW0/

Vnawxp9.jpg

The owners behind La Diabla probably sent press releases out this week. There are various articles reporting the name of the bar, along with the upcoming opening date. Here's the earliest article about the latest details from Houston Chronicle yesterday:

"... La Diabla Retro Bar by La Calle Tacos, opening Dec. 15. Envisioned as an ’80s and ’90s-inspired nightclub and bar, La Diabla will take up residence in a 4,000-square-foot space at 300 Main that once housed Boomtown Coffee...With space for 200 guests (including a 400-square-foot patio, La Diabla will be anchored by a 30-foot-long bar showcasing a vast tequila and mezcal selection." 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/New-Mexican-tequila-bar-set-to-open-downtown-17637730.php

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

14 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

including a 400-square-foot patio

Since when does this venue have a 400 square foot patio? Do they just mean tables running alongside the building or have they built out a more formal patio area on the side? I haven't walked by this location in several months.

32 minutes ago, bookey23 said:

Since when does this venue have a 400 square foot patio? Do they just mean tables running alongside the building or have they built out a more formal patio area on the side? I haven't walked by this location in several months.

La Calle utilizes the sidewalk as patio space, so I would guess this concept will do the same. And I'm all for more restaurants offering street-front seating.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...