Sign in to follow this  
Simbha

What would make our city 'better'?

But hey, if some of you have it out for Sugar Land and want to see it decline like Spring ISD did... fine! I guess you must like sprawl, because that will just encourage it further (families will just flee for Richmond/Fulshear, just as families flee Spring ISD for The Woodlands and Cypress)!

I didn't realize that singles and childless couples were replacing families in Spring ISD. Why do you think that is? <_<

As a last resort, people will flee to Austin. If you think this is good for Houston, I don't think you have Houston's interests in mind.

Cities need to be able to attract young, educated, successful, ambitious people and families. Sugar Land and Austin do just that. Maybe Houston could learn something from these cities. (I'm not trying to dog Houston; I love Houston and participate here because I do.)

Our vast base of impoverished residents is an amenity. Cheap labor increases the purchasing power of those who have means, thereby enticing affluent people and their employers to locate here.

Also, poor people seem to remember what good food is supposed to taste like.

Why not build on something that's honestly Houston like Houston's musical heritage? Think about it, Lightnin' Hopkins was associated with Houston, the zydeco beats you hear at Jax Grill on Friday nights had their roots in the Frenchtown section of Fifth Ward, and Fifth Ward was once the home of Don Robey's Peacock Record Label. You can say we've got House of Blues, but that's faux dive. We've got the authentic Eldorado Ballroom on Dowling. It's really amazing that such a historic structure is still standing in Houston and is still being used. While it would be nothing like Beale St., maybe something can be done to Dowling St. to a similar tune?

Why not build on something that's honestly Houston like Houston's musical heritage? Think about it, Lightnin' Hopkins was associated with Houston, the zydeco beats you hear at Jax Grill on Friday nights had their roots in the Frenchtown section of Fifth Ward, and Fifth Ward was once the home of Don Robey's Peacock Record Label. You can say we've got House of Blues, but that's faux dive.

There was this planned, but not sure what the status is right now...

http://www.yesmamh.org/

http://www.houstonpr...thank-you-mamh/