Sign in to follow this  
Jessica N

New Strip Malls on Washington Ave

I read online last year that Les Givrals, a restaurant I love that is in Market Square, is supposed to be opening in the new strip mall just east of Shepherd. Anyone have an update on that opening? I also read a downtown law firm was moving in the 3rd story of that building.

http://www.lesgivrals.com/11.html

I also noticed Berripop and Buffalo Wild Wings are moving in the strip mall closer to Yale Blvd and Zoes. Any news on anything else moving in there?

While waiting for an order at Les Givrals last month, I was talking to the cashier who mentioned the new location on Washington. She didn't say exactly where on Washington it would be, but I believe she said it would be a spring opening.

BW3 in the Heights? Awesome. Bad beer prices, awesome wings.

Their wings suck, they are tiny and their sauces are not great. But at least they have Fat Tire and also sell buffalo style drumsticks.

I have been dragged to BW3 by my coworkers multiple times - the first time I got naked wings (no skin or bones). The grilled chicken was totally overcooked and chewy. The next time I got the salad with fried chicken, thinking that maybe they at least knew how to fry. Yet again the chicken was overcooked and nasty. Last week I ordered a burger which, according to the menu, was cooked medium well. I asked the server if mine could be cooked to medium rare instead. He told me it could not, because the patties are precooked and frozen.

dry.gif

There is just nothing at this place I can tolerate eating...

Who can tell me the history of Les Givrals?

The story I heard is that a family started Les Givrals leasing from a landlord, the landlord jacked up the rents or something and took over the business as a concession and the family was forced out and the family started Cali Sandwich. Story doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's what I heard.

I have been dragged to BW3 by my coworkers multiple times - the first time I got naked wings (no skin or bones). The grilled chicken was totally overcooked and chewy. The next time I got the salad with fried chicken, thinking that maybe they at least knew how to fry. Yet again the chicken was overcooked and nasty. Last week I ordered a burger which, according to the menu, was cooked medium well. I asked the server if mine could be cooked to medium rare instead. He told me it could not, because the patties are precooked and frozen.

dry.gif

There is just nothing at this place I can tolerate eating...

It's pretty bad when a restaurant doesn't even have the confidence that their cooks can make a hamburger patty. I don't understand why anyone would pay restaurant prices for food that was basically just heated up.

It's pretty bad when a restaurant doesn't even have the confidence that their cooks can make a hamburger patty. I don't understand why anyone would pay restaurant prices for food that was basically just heated up.

BW3 was good if you have ever eaten at the few local ones years ago in Ohio before they became corporate. All their stores now have the same interior look too. Now to justify a 20% revenue & profit increase every year due to stockholder pressures, they have to open new places (for revenue) and use cheapest possible ingredients (for profit) and cheapest possible labor (for profit) yearly.

All I can say is bring on The Counter! I used to stop in a one when I was working in Santa Monica... Premium build your own burgers (with price to match) but man they are good. Their sauce selections are outstanding, so I can't wait to go get one.. it might not be great for my waist line tho. The shakes are perfect and a word of warning... don't order fries per order...do it by the table. Going there with friends once we each ordered our own fries and ended up with a mountains worth. You can safely get an order per table hehe.

Edited by adkat

All I can say is bring on The Counter! I used to stop in a one when I was working in Santa Monica... Premium build your own burgers (with price to match) but man they are good.

I agree, this place will be a hit. i've had it here in Chicago and the varieties and sauce options demand multiple visits.

Checking it out, it seems like a cool idea but then again it makes me run into the same problem i have with restaurants like IHOP/Denny's. Too many options to make, and that frustrates me.

Back to the original poster re: Les Givrals. It opened last week, i believe, complete with beer and liquor license (unlike the other locations). Well, it is Washington Ave, after all.

Back to the original poster re: Les Givrals. It opened last week, i believe, complete with beer and liquor license (unlike the other locations). Well, it is Washington Ave, after all.

woo hoo! can't wait to check it out

Their wings are like any other wings anywhere else.

Is that BW3 a two story version?

I'd eat there, but every time I'm in the area, I wind up at El Rey's.

Is that BW3 a two story version?

I'd eat there, but every time I'm in the area, I wind up at El Rey's.

I just threw up in my mouf a little.

How dare you mock El Rey :angry:

Slow down there tigre. My stomach acids arent as strong as everyone elses...

Not on Washington Ave...but does anyone know what is being built at the 1500 block of Shepherd (between Eigel and Maxie)? The lot next to Rag Printing has been leveled, and a parking lot has been poured.

Not on Washington Ave...but does anyone know what is being built at the 1500 block of Shepherd (between Eigel and Maxie)? The lot next to Rag Printing has been leveled, and a parking lot has been poured.

Prince's Hamburgers

are you sure about Prince's? I know they had a sign there a while back but it disappeared last year. Is there a new one up?

was heading towards El Rey, when I noticed something pecular, a "Jitney Stop" sign. I noticed there were a few more, one by the drinkery, but it was certainly interesting to see.

Kinda' makes me wonder how their business is doing.

Also, between the Counter & Les Givrals is "TQLA Restaurant & Bar" and "360 Sports Bar & Grille." Looks like there's another 360 in Columbia, SC - not sure if it's related or not?

I also heard (from one of the guys that owns Sugarcane) that there is an 80s dance place opening somewhere on Washington Ave. He says they are trying to attract the "older" patrons of Washington Ave. Interesting.

• Like 1

I saw a sign at the west end of the Berripop/Buffalo Wild Wings strip mall that 5 Guys Burgers is moving in! Yea!! Their burgers and fries are great.