Sign in to follow this  
torvald

Greenbriar & Richmond

yesterday, i noticed that they finally tore down the former pub/club on the corner there -- the mismatched one that looked as if it were from a grimm's tale. i never took a photo of it because it irritated me so.

its been empty for a good while and housing scary folks & lots of neighborhood mischief. does anyone know what's "going up" there? i can only assume something is since it has been empty for so long.

does anyone remember that place for some reason i think it had pig in the name --or maybe it's that nursery tale it reminds me of.

If I remember the corner correctly, it was the old Pig and Whsitle...or as it was fondly known, the P*ss and Wiggle.

hmm, the pig finally met the wrecking ball.... I always thought the owner of the place really lost a bundle during the shepherd plaza heyday since it sat there the entire time while all the other buildings packed them in. Oh well, the whole area ought to be a great example for downtown boosters as what happened at shepherd plaza could happen downtown. That 20's-30's crowd is fickle, they like to go there now but they can change their mind the minute a new area starts to sprout trendy nightclubs.

Oh, and yes, I remember it well. During the 80's and early 90's, it was one of the few places in Houston that offered decent live music. It was the Pig and Whistle for a long time, then reopened for a while as The Pig Live. It had a pretty happening scene, lot's of college kids, good music. The crowd I ran with would barhop between there, The Alehouse and Gingerman. You would run into the basically the same demographic at all three. It kinda died just as all the clubs started opening in shepherd plaza and never reopened to take advantage of the influx of nightclub goers.

When I was little we would drive by and I would see the bouncer. It was this huge dude who looked like the lead singer to Blues Travler. I always thought that he was the owner, that he was the "Pig". --No disrespect to the larger crowd.

The Pig used to be the best darts scene in houston. I think I was 18 the first time I went there, so that would be umm yeah about 18 years ago.. hehe.

Man. The Pig guy out front was a trip.

I heard he died, but it may just be urban legend.

I remember seeing Wayne Delchfino (sp?) there all the time.

The Pig used to be the best darts scene in houston. I think I was 18 the first time I went there, so that would be umm yeah about 18 years ago.. hehe.

so where are the good places for darts now?

think i've only been to the harp, rudyards & the gingerman.

That's a good question. I usually play either Ruds, Gingerman or McElroys. None are spectacular.

Not sure exactly why I found this or why I am responding, but his name was Mike and he did die. He was one of the nicest guys in the world.

Man.  The Pig guy out front was a trip.

I heard he died, but it may just be urban legend. 

I remember seeing Wayne Delchfino (sp?) there all the time.

Does anybody know what is going on at Richmond and Greenbriar, site of the old Pig Live? The site is being prepared.

Does anybody know what is going on at Richmond and Greenbriar, site of the old Pig Live? The site is being prepared.

real old topic, someone please merge this one with the other thread.

Go to original topic...

Edited by Pumapayam

I hear from folks in the neighborhood that this will be a professional building for a dentist.

From HBJ construction notices:

Don Tamberollo, commercial construction at 2150 Richmond Ave., Greenbriar Office Shell (new shell building-future office building with parking below, $300,000.

Does anyone remember the other Pig & Whistle?  It was also on Richmond but more to the west, maybe around Fountain View area?  I think it closed in the early '90s maybe?  Where was it exactly, anyone remember?

Renderings of "The Center @ Greenbriar 3636 Greenbriar" from Loopnet:

Existing two-story retail buildings being remodeled and updated. I drove by today and "Building B" is well underway. Flyer states that it is ready for occupancy mid-2019.

image.png.cf365eb6f10c0509342a7a53bec240f8.png

image.png.974ea5457911f7fb14c36a1bace47fd9.png

image.png.6cf6a8ecaf6cb897cc1ae8d3cb74f278.png

image.png.576582768fff543050489f58e76fa6f6.png

image.png.1fbc495800a228e2f5dd8feaa84a7789.png

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3636-Greenbriar-Dr-Houston-TX/14750850/

Edited by LBC2HTX
  • Like 3

If I remember correctly, the owner was a man named Fintan Keys. Does anybody have any pictures or plans of this 90's Houston landmark? I would be interested in seeing any -- I'm trying to remember the interior layout, and my old brain is failing me.