The case for Bikeability in Houston

WAZ

The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) recently published a study, “Cities for Cycling,” in which they review emerging best practices for the engineering of roads for bicycles. The goal is to make cities more bicycle friendly, so that people can use bicycles for transit; not just for recreation and exercise.

Urbanists spend a lot of time on walkability, but bikeability is often ignored. That’s a shame for Houston. Walkability is easiest to accomplish in dense urban cores, where travel distances are short. Houston has a handful of those, but most of the city was developed after World War II. Most of our neighborhoods are too spread out for walking. In many Houston neighborhoods, bikeability could be drastically improved with a few small changes – a new path here; a footbridge there; a crosswalk. Compare that to the upheaval of trying to turn suburbs into dense urban cores in order to get walkability.

Houston’s natural features lend themselves to cycling. The City is flat, which makes it easier to cycle. Additionally, Houston is criss-crossed by bayous. Many of those bayous have become greenways – the longest of which goes for eleven miles. These are in addition to the greenways we’ve built on old railroad rights of way – something most cities have done. Greenways can be to cyclists what highways are to drivers; a fast, direct way from point ‘A’ to point ‘B’. They just need to be properly linked to on-street bikeways and transit centers, so that they are more than just recreational parks.

Houston’s handful of dense neighborhoods should keep working on walkability. It’s the right answer for places like Downtown, Montrose, and Midtown. But for all the suburban neighborhoods where most Houstonians live – bikeability is a much more reachable goal.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree with you that the cool kids in the urban planning racket harp on walkability but rarely discuss bicycle-friendly infrastructure. And it does make sense on a certain level; most of these people live in walkable neighborhoods and old cities, and most of their audience does not but have experienced such places as tourists and as such tend to idealize that urban form. So the literature takes on a myopic view towards pedestrian-friendliness as the pinnacle of urban form and as a goal for all places. The legacy of post-WW2 development patterns is swept under the rug; that's where poor people and the uncouth masses live.

FORTUNATELY, the City of Houston and H-GAC are aware that bicycles are a valid form of transportation that is a far more practical alternative to auto use in most of Houston than is walking. These organizations actively plan and develop infrastructure that furthers their use. I wish that they'd move a little faster (though I'm willing to cut them a little slack on account of the budget crisis), especially on Buffalo Bayou trails projects, but it is nice to see how much work is in progress along Brays Bayou as well as with the rails-to-trails programs.

Agreed. Most transit stops assume that people will walk up to a quarter mile to reach it. After that, the percentage drops way off. However, for a cyclist in a flat city, the are that is 'bikeable' can expand to 2 or 3 miles. Virtually all of the Inner Loop and much of the Beltway areas are accessible, IF there are bike lanes or paths.

Maybe I'm failing to see how "walkable" and "bikeable" are mutually exclusive. Both would be good to have. Though outside the loop where things are more spread out, maybe one will lead to the other.

Your assessment is correct. They aren't mutually exclusive. In dense urban cores, walkability is easy to do and desirable. In suburban areas, walkability is hard to do, but bikeability is a lot easier, and brings the same benefits.

I have to ask, how do you think bikeability will lead to walkability, or vice-versa?

How do you figure? Or will people go back to driving golf carts around their subdivisions when oil hits $4-something again?

Then we'll talk about "cartability." lol

Sidewalks help walkability but not bikeability. Bike lanes and improved shoulders help bikeability but not so much walkability.

How do you figure? Or will people go back to driving golf carts around their subdivisions when oil hits $4-something again?

Then we'll talk about "cartability." lol

Maybe when gasoline (not oil) is over $15 per gallon. It'll take some doing, and even then I suspect you're right that electric motors will be the preferred alternative. Most people just don't like to sweat.

I always thought that most of Houston was fine for getting around on bike, with exceptions around the Galleria area and the villages. At one time I was a big fan of dedicated bike lanes, but it became apparent that they were frequently too poorly maintained to use, so you just have to share lanes with the cars.

BikeHouston Annual Meeting - Tues 1/26/10, 6:30p CST

Gina Mitteco, pedestrian-bicyclist coordinator of the Houston-Galveston Area Council, will talk on the future of bicycling in the region Tuesday, January 26, 2010, at the Annual Meeting of BikeHouston, Houston’s organization that advocates making the city safe and accessible for cyclists.

The meeting will begin with a reception at 6:30 p.m. followed by the program at 7 p.m. in the first floor conference room at the Houston Environmental Center, 3015 Richmond. Food and refreshments will be provided by El Meson Restaurant.

Mitteco, who joined H-GAC in 2008, will give an overview of H-GAC’s Pedestrian-Bicycle Program, discuss upcoming initiatives and update BikeHouston on the Regional Bikeway plan.

She has a Master of Arts degree in Community and Regional Planning from the University of British Colombia and worked as a transportation consultant before taking her current post. While living in Vancouver, Matteco enjoyed the benefits of car-free living by relying on the city’s extensive network of bicycle boulevards, pedestrian friendly destinations, and transit for all of her transportation needs.

In addition to Mitteco’s talk, Robin Stallings, Executive Director of Bike Texas / Texas Bicycle Coalition from Austin will provide a legislative update on bicycling initiatives pending before the Texas Legislature this year.

BikeHouston is a local Houston organization promoting bike access, safe bicycling, education, and public awareness of the personal and community benefits of cycling. The meeting is open to all cyclists and anyone interested in learning about cycling in Houston.

The network exists but is nowhere near decent. And they are not pretty well marked, in fact, some bikeways are not marked at all.

Well it is certainly better than I expected as I was getting to know Houston. I've used it for numerous rides and not had a problem finding my way.

It can be decent for recreational rides, but significant improvements are needed for transportation purposes.

I agree for the most part, and this infrastructure is coming along incrementally. Having said that...I would suggest that you go to this event on the 27th and ask the speaker about his own personal commute to work. You'll be impressed, I promise.

I only ride 4.5 miles to work so I'm a lightweight, but I know people who do 25 miles one-way. There's a guy on a forum that claims to do 80 miles one-way. Yikes.

Anyway, Houston car culture seems to be very hostile to bikes. I get a lot of honks even if I'm riding on the edge of the road. Thankfully I have a really loud airhorn to strike back. ^_^ The infrastructure is coming along (they completed bridges on the Columbia Tap trail over Brays Bayou and MKT over White Oak Bayou) and hopefully it will remain a priority with the new administration.

I only ride 4.5 miles to work so I'm a lightweight, but I know people who do 25 miles one-way. There's a guy on a forum that claims to do 80 miles one-way. Yikes.

That's Galveston to Conroe.

4.5 is reasonable. 25 is doable. 80 is pure BS.

From some other board I just googled:

In the TDF last year, Stage 19 was a TT, Lance did the 55km course in 1:06:49. Wow.

For those who don't feel like doing the math, that is 32.24mph average.

It would take that guy over two and a half hours each way - if he was Lance Armstrong - and that may be about the only way I'd believe that 80 mile claim.

Well, he says he showers at work before starting. Who knows, it does seem pretty unlikely. You wouldn't have a lot of time for life's other little errands.

I ride to Galveston sometimes, but that's recreation on a weekend, not a daily ride. 160 miles a day PLUS working would be pretty hardcore.

Well, he says he showers at work before starting. Who knows, it does seem pretty unlikely. You wouldn't have a lot of time for life's other little errands.

I ride to Galveston sometimes, but that's recreation on a weekend, not a daily ride. 160 miles a day PLUS working would be pretty hardcore.

Unless he owns the company, goes in only two or three times a week and when he does go in, he stays no longer than five or six hours. It's just not possible to maintain that level of intensity every day of the week while working a normal ten hour work day.

I guess it's not impossible (I don't want to get into that Yoda that's-why-you-fail defeatism), but it's not very likely.

I digress. I'd like more bike paths too. I'd also like a bike. I should probably buy one.

I'd also like a bike. I should probably buy one.

If you enjoy it, it will change your life.

I guess that can be said of a lot of things, softball, driving, heroin, etc.

Houston's current bike lanes (I prefer to call them gutter lanes) are the poorest excuse I've ever seen at a bicycle lane. Road debris, getting buzzed by METRO, potholes.

I would love to see some real bicycle lanes that offer me more safety than no lanes at all.

I would love to live in a Houston where I could safely commute the 15 miles (30 total) to work.

I guess that can be said of a lot of things, softball, driving, heroin, etc.

Houston's current bike lanes (I prefer to call them gutter lanes) are the poorest excuse I've ever seen at a bicycle lane. Road debris, getting buzzed by METRO, potholes.

I would love to see some real bicycle lanes that offer me more safety than no lanes at all.

I would love to live in a Houston where I could safely commute the 15 miles (30 total) to work.

Sure will, if you don't stay off the road, and out of the way of traffic. I'm all for bike lanes, off, and away from the roadway. Then, and only then will you see me out there.

Sure will, if you don't stay off the road, and out of the way of traffic. I'm all for bike lanes, off, and away from the roadway. Then, and only then will you see me out there.

The thing is I don't know if it's practical to think that there will ever be a network of off-road bikeways sufficient to get you where you want to go. Not just in Houston, but in any city. If there are bike lanes then fine, but lack of them isn't going to keep me off the roads.

...Houston’s handful of dense neighborhoods should keep working on walkability. It’s the right answer for places like Downtown, Montrose, and Midtown. But for all the suburban neighborhoods where most Houstonians live – bikeability is a much more reachable goal.

Thank you for a fantastic post and a fantastic thread!! I was riding regularly, but I ran over a pothole one day and didn't recover in time for a car to come and hit my bike (and grazed my hip as well). That happened a month ago, and I've been too scared to touch my bike ever since. The motorist was driving and texting of course, and barely noticed what happened until they looked up and saw that I was writing down their license plate. THEN they pulled a decisive U-turn to come and see if I was okay. Gotta love irresponsible drivers.

Houston is an amazing city in so many ways... but perhaps more amazing than anything is how neglectful we have been of our infrastructure. It's just plain unsafe. Like other forumers have said, the bike lanes are really sad... most of them are literally falling off of the road or sinking down into oblivion. As nice as these brand new hike and bike trails are, it would also be nice for us to take care of the existing trails that we have too. There's no reason that every road in Houston can't look like the newly refurbished Kirby drive (between Westheimer and Richmond)... a road that can be safe and usable for pedestrian, cyclist and auto alike.

Sorry the rant, but you get the idea.

Be like Vancouver and convert full traffic lanes to bicycles and pedestrian only.

http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?pageID=124&loc=#321

This is a good idea. Along what corridor could this be done? Anybody have any suggestions?

Houston is an amazing city in so many ways... but perhaps more amazing than anything is how neglectful we have been of our infrastructure. It's just plain unsafe. Like other forumers have said, the bike lanes are really sad... most of them are literally falling off of the road or sinking down into oblivion. As nice as these brand new hike and bike trails are, it would also be nice for us to take care of the existing trails that we have too. There's no reason that every road in Houston can't look like the newly refurbished Kirby drive (between Westheimer and Richmond)... a road that can be safe and usable for pedestrian, cyclist and auto alike

I don't recall Kirby having bike lanes...are you just referring to the relative absence of potholes along that stretch?

I think the best thing to do overall is to not discourage density. So those planning "guidelines" should be followed and businesses also should not have to put parking in front of their businesses. Let them build up to the street and outsource all parking to a parking garage and then the number of in-out driveways (meaning auto right turns) to be paranoid about will be reduced.

Archived