Insulation For Crawl Space

I always assumed that builders would put a layer of insulation under the floorboard for crawl space foundation. Boy was I wrong. No wonder the downstairs wood floor was like walking on ice.

Can anybody recommend a company that will go under the home and put insulation?

thanks

There is a good handyman that I use to do things like that. You just have to pay for the supplies (he'll buy them if you aren't sure what is needed) and then his labor cost. He does an excellent job and not very expensive. Here is his website:

http://www.houstonhandyman.com/

You might want to use a wire to hold the insulation in place, but stay away from "chicken wire" because you don't want animals nesting in it (so I was told). Hopefully you will have better results, but our builder insulated under the house and it's still like walking on ice in the winter... but the a/c bill is almost non-existant in the summer (not a bad trade-off for a place like Houston).

Send me a message if you want more info.

I always assumed that builders would put a layer of insulation under the floorboard for crawl space foundation. Boy was I wrong. No wonder the downstairs wood floor was like walking on ice.

Can anybody recommend a company that will go under the home and put insulation?

thanks

with the humidity involved, over a few years the insulation absorbs moisture more than one would think. you should factor the short lifetime into your decision. cold feet for a few days is much different that the hundreds you may spend.

Along with musicman's advice, keep in mind that heat rises and cold sinks. Your floor will always be cold, unless you install a floor heater. If air is seeping between the floor boards, that's a different story, but insulation will not do much to warm up a cold floor. Your 2nd floor feels warm because the heat from the first floor is rising to heat it.

• The title was changed to Insulation For Crawl Space

Archived