Apartments At 405 Hawthorne St.

kdog08

I'm a native Houstonian but don't really know too much about Montrose. I found a very reasonably priced 1 br at the address and like amenities around this area. I'm a 23 year old straight recent grad who works near the Greenway Plaza area currently and will be working in the Medical Center in the near future so the location is pretty close to perfect. I'm really trying not come off as homophobic nor do I think there will be a gay pride parade down my street every day but I don't want to feel out of place. I'd prefer to live in a diverse area with straight, gay, minorities, singles, families, etc. and that's my impression of Montrose from what I've heard. I was hoping to hear some input on the area so I can make an informed decision.

sounds like this is what you are looking for, great neigborhood, very close to action in midtown, montrose, and close to work. i would make sure you had an assigned parking spot in a gated secure area. there is some crime around here and cars get broken into.

dream

I'm a native Houstonian but don't really know too much about Montrose. I found a very reasonably priced 1 br at the address and like amenities around this area. I'm a 23 year old straight recent grad who works near the Greenway Plaza area currently and will be working in the Medical Center in the near future so the location is pretty close to perfect. I'm really trying not come off as homophobic nor do I think there will be a gay pride parade down my street every day but I don't want to feel out of place. I'd prefer to live in a diverse area with straight, gay, minorities, singles, families, etc. and that's my impression of Montrose from what I've heard. I was hoping to hear some input on the area so I can make an informed decision.

If you're a single guy conscientious of 'The Scene'--and especially the ability to walk to and from it--Montrose is the place to be. But for my money, a neighborhood like Eastwood is hard to beat. More of a neighborhood feel. Very balanced demographics. Off-the-radar. Lots of curbside parking, even on Friday and Saturday nights. And I don't have the complete dataset to prove it, but I "feel" much safer here than in Montrose, FWIW.

Montrose or Eastwood are good choices - though the fact that you brought up "I'm really not trying to come off as homophobic" seems like you're going in with some kind of preconceived notion and you will be uncomfortable no matter what. Fwiw, that locale is quite busy during the weekend pride events..

I'm really trying not come off as homophobic nor do I think there will be a gay pride parade down my street every day

Funny. I had a gay pride parade come down my street ( well, within a block ) the weekend after I moved to Montrose. While it certainly didn't bother me or my wife.. I was glad we didnt choose that weekend to have the in-laws help us move.

In all honesty.. even though Montrose is home to Houston's gay community, I don't think they make up the majority of the area's residents.

Disclaimer.. I Do live on the West side of Montrose.

No really.. living in Montrose is great.. convenient to everything.

I'm sure Eastwood is great too.. certainly a place to consider when you're ready to buy, but you'd be much closer to work living in Montrose and you'd be a 5 minute walk to a 1 bus trip to Greenway or a 10 minute walk to a 1 bus trip to TMC.

If you're a single guy conscientious of 'The Scene'--and especially the ability to walk to and from it--Montrose is the place to be. But for my money, a neighborhood like Eastwood is hard to beat. More of a neighborhood feel. Very balanced demographics. Off-the-radar. Lots of curbside parking, even on Friday and Saturday nights. And I don't have the complete dataset to prove it, but I "feel" much safer here than in Montrose, FWIW.

Funny. I had a gay pride parade come down my street ( well, within a block ) the weekend after I moved to Montrose. While it certainly didn't bother me or my wife.. I was glad we didnt choose that weekend to have the in-laws help us move.

In all honesty.. even though Montrose is home to Houston's gay community, I don't think they make up the majority of the area's residents.

Disclaimer.. I Do live on the West side of Montrose.

No really.. living in Montrose is great.. convenient to everything.

I'm sure Eastwood is great too.. certainly a place to consider when you're ready to buy, but you'd be much closer to work living in Montrose and you'd be a 5 minute walk to a 1 bus trip to Greenway or a 10 minute walk to a 1 bus trip to TMC.

Thanks for the input. I am not single, and I do enjoy bars and going out. I am not familiar with Eastwood, roughly where is that? I didn't mention this in the OP, but decent access to 59 is important to me also.

Montrose or Eastwood are good choices - though the fact that you brought up "I'm really not trying to come off as homophobic" seems like you're going in with some kind of preconceived notion and you will be uncomfortable no matter what. Fwiw, that locale is quite busy during the weekend pride events..

I brought it up because I personally wouldn't want to live in a predominately gay area, just as I wouldn't want to live in a predominately hispanic, black, or asian area. I would feel more comfortable in an area full of diverse people. I would love to go to the Pride festival, seems like a great event. I just don't want to be the only straight person on my block (I say that jokingly), as I prefer a mix of people.

Thanks for the input. I am not single, and I do enjoy bars and going out. I am not familiar with Eastwood, roughly where is that? I didn't mention this in the OP, but decent access to 59 is important to me also.

Eastwood is about a mile east of downtown and just to the north of I-45 from UH. Cullen, Lockwood, and Dumble are north/south thoroughfares. Polk and Leeland are east/west thoroughfares. The housing stock is very similar to Montrose in many respects, but it's a quieter neighborhood. There are a few small multifamily properties (including the one I live in) and many garage apartments. You can rent a house in Eastwood for what some people pay for a one-bedroom apartment in Montrose.

It's still something of a transitional neighborhood. It was predominantly Hispanic but is increasingly white. This is different from Montrose because Montrose is pretty much all white...even the dark-skinned people in Montrose are white. That would make me feel uncomfortable, which is of course a characteristic trait of a white person. Go figure. There are a fair number of gay folks here, but it isn't really a gay neighborhood. There are a number of UH students, including both my roommates, one of whom is gay. But it's awesome because he cooks for me and is often overwhelmed with the compulsion to bake muffins and such other things, and he is generous with them. Apparently there are also some Angolans down the street. They practice voodoo rituals in their backyard with their children and cook barbecue, which they share with you if you happen upon them. My Mexican-Chinese neighbor does too, and is generous with it.

In the mornings, if you sleep in at all with a window open, you can hear the PA system at the schools wafting through the neighborhood. In the afternoons, the neighborhood rings with the sounds of children walking home, and then with the sound of the Austin HS marching band practicing. There is a near-constant aroma of coffee being roasted because of the monolithic plant over at Harrisburg and Dumble.

Retail is somewhat limited. Deed restrictions will do that. But we've got Bohemeo's and Kanomwon (BYOB) within walking distance. These are good. There is also a Kroger (circa 1979) and convenience stores such as are adequate for malt liquor runs when you're in need.

But I'd say that to fully appreciate Eastwood, you have to be a UH student, introverted, at least 30 years old, or a tightwad that is always searching for the best deal.

Here's a link to the Eastwood Civic Association website.

Montrose is not predominantly gay. It does have the highest density of gay bars in the city, but I would say its more of a neighborhood of young people than a neighborhood of gay people. Go have a meal at Brasil or Empire Cafe or Feast or Niko Niko's and you'll find you're eating mostly with straight people. Go have a beer at Poison Girl, Ernie's on Banks, Anvil, Lola's, trust me, you won't feel like you're in a "gay neighborhood".

Thanks again for the replies. I've looked into Midtown but the 1BRs there are out of my price range at the time. Do any of yall know about the electricity usage of window units vs. not having central air (the apartment I'm looking at has window units)? I'm on a budget so I would try to minimize electricity use.

Thanks again for the replies. I've looked into Midtown but the 1BRs there are out of my price range at the time. Do any of yall know about the electricity usage of window units vs. not having central air (the apartment I'm looking at has window units)? I'm on a budget so I would try to minimize electricity use.

It really depends on the place. My first place in Houston was a Montrose carriage house; we were on the first floor, there was a place above us, and the whole building was completely shaded. We hardly ever turned the a/c on. I guess at night, to sleep, but I worked from home and never needed it during the day. But if you choose a place on a higher floor, or one without shade, it would be a totally different story.

Montrose is not predominantly gay. It does have the highest density of gay bars in the city, but I would say its more of a neighborhood of young people than a neighborhood of gay people. Go have a meal at Brasil or Empire Cafe or Feast or Niko Niko's and you'll find you're eating mostly with straight people. Go have a beer at Poison Girl, Ernie's on Banks, Anvil, Lola's, trust me, you won't feel like you're in a "gay neighborhood".

Not even San Francisco is predominantly gay. By definition, 90% or more the population is str8. But, for some reason, San Francisco and Montrose are tagged as gay, by historical or present day perceptions.

Someone concerned about being surrounded by gay people, may not want that stigma, regardless of the reality. And as such, midtown, or somewhere other than Montrose, is probably a better fit. For those that don't care, live wherever. I find it hard to believe that other parts of the city do not have affordable rentals/housing.

Window units are no where near as efficient as central air. You might find paying more rent in one place, but less for electricity is a wash (or cheaper) against paying less rent, higher electricity bills.

i think your neighborhood assoc is "audubon" they are fairly active and host gatherings and try to keep that neighborhood character--maybe you've notice their "historic audubon" signs for historic designation-- joining the civic club will help you meet the neighborhood-- and it is diverse--

but remember to lock your car and don't leave anything visible-- car break-ins are the #1 crime in that area---not burglary or robbery--car break-ins-

your not too far from the ensemble theater metro stop-- i've walked it myself and i live closer to KATZ's

you can walk to great bars and restaurants--and that helps because parking in those great restaurants to difficult--but lots of your friends will be impressed to park at your place and be able to walk to where you're going--

it's funny but we actually toured the house we live in now during the hours before pride parade in 2005 with our high schooler in tow--it reminded me of mardi gras--we knew we didn't want to be marooned in the suburbs after that kid went off to university--we wanted a pedestrian lifestyle and we we loved the "look" of these neighborhoods--lots of different kinds of people-- a wide age range of residents, lots of different kinds of events,

we bike, we walk, we actually know our neighbors and some of the people who work in the stores,bars and restaurants we frequent have gotten to know us--it's like that small community feeling i had as a kid--it really has a "neighborhood" feel that's hard to find in other parts of Houston

Kdog, go for it. It's a great area with lots of stuff happening, it's a 1 BR so window units are no big deal, and it's only a year lease, right? What's a year? It'll fly by before you know it. You'll be happy with the decision, I think. Be sure to follow the advice about street parking, and enjoy yourself.

Looks good to me. You're close enough to midtown if you don't wind up liking the Montrose scene...

I live in the far western part of Montrose, and I honestly think just about everyone around me is straight. Even out here it is still pretty diverse in terms of race, income level, etc. Anyway, I have a lot of gay friends, though ironically none of them live in Montrose anymore. They do all still go out here, though

I brought it up because I personally wouldn't want to live in a predominately gay area, just as I wouldn't want to live in a predominately hispanic, black, or asian area. I would feel more comfortable in an area full of diverse people.

LOL. read what you wrote.

This is actually the Westmoreland Historic District, which is where I live. It's a great area and has a lot of people on bikes, scooters and on foot, walking dogs. Sure you'll see the occasional crazy bag lady or a can man or two, but they are harmless. The Civic Association hosts great parties and is inclusive to all residents.

I live in a small 20-unit complex and out of the 20, you will find: Ages ranging from 21-71. Blonds, brunettes, red-heads, black - guys, girls, gay, straight, Bi (probably) - Asian, Black, Hispanic, White and so on. So, if my immediate surroundings are an indicator, it is very diverse.

The Ensemble Station would be less than a 10 minute walk for you. Traffic on this street is minimal because it dead-ends into the Spur (Where you will find St. Danes - cool, straight bar).

Sure there are car break-ins, but no serious crimes that I'm aware of. Hell, my damn tire got stolen right off my car. I have a new car with wheel locks now. With the new mayor living approximately a block away, I would expect patrols to increase. I do know that some of our usual uniformed officers have gone to street clothes.

On another note, does anyone know what the montrosedisctrict.org black Ford Explorers are up to? The windows are pretty darkly tinted, but are being driven by a uniformed peace officer of some sort.

This is actually the Westmoreland Historic District, which is where I live. It's a great area and has a lot of people on bikes, scooters and on foot, walking dogs. Sure you'll see the occasional crazy bag lady or a can man or two, but they are harmless. The Civic Association hosts great parties and is inclusive to all residents.

I live in a small 20-unit complex and out of the 20, you will find: Ages ranging from 21-71. Blonds, brunettes, red-heads, black - guys, girls, gay, straight, Bi (probably) - Asian, Black, Hispanic, White and so on. So, if my immediate surroundings are an indicator, it is very diverse.

The Ensemble Station would be less than a 10 minute walk for you. Traffic on this street is minimal because it dead-ends into the Spur (Where you will find St. Danes - cool, straight bar).

Sure there are car break-ins, but no serious crimes that I'm aware of. Hell, my damn tire got stolen right off my car. I have a new car with wheel locks now. With the new mayor living approximately a block away, I would expect patrols to increase. I do know that some of our usual uniformed officers have gone to street clothes.

On another note, does anyone know what the montrosedisctrict.org black Ford Explorers are up to? The windows are pretty darkly tinted, but are being driven by a uniformed peace officer of some sort.

the "montrose district.org" was the old "east montrose management district HCID#6" dallas to bagby to I59 to Montrose-but now expanded down Montrose to Bissonet for that one civic club then over to shepherd and back up to Dallas--

having an extra patroling (only the area of the district) car driven by an off duty HPD officer is one of the things the assessment($) of businesses pays for --

formally meeting at the Freedman library but now HCID # 6 (Montrose) Board meeting Wednesday, January 20, 2010 @ 3:00 pm Vinson & Elkins ( Please note location change. Library was unavailable because of Library Event) Conference Room 26 G 1001 Fannin Street Suite 2500 --open to public etcetcetc

Go have a beer at Anvil, trust me, you won't feel like you're in a "gay neighborhood".

I'm surprised they sold you one. Last summer when I went they recommended some drink that was weaker than a beer (as some collegiate band music was playing in the background)

Archived