Straight Out Of Law School

dachmation

Wondering how to navigate this economy straight out of law school, in top 55% of class, no experience, didn't make the law clerk "click", frightful amount of education loans to pay off begining 7 months from graduation

maybe other grandparents wonder this too

helpful discussion would be appreciated

The military may be about the only industry actively hiring right now. I don't know if Niche was being sarcastic or not, but in truth, this really is your best bet.

I don't know if Niche was being sarcastic or not, but in truth, this really is your best bet.

I took the Census worker exam this morning. And the military option becomes basically unavoidable for me if I'm not employed by mid-summer. So...I'll let you be the judge as to my level of seriousness.

Sorry if I've been a little edgy lately, btw. I've applied to dozens of jobs throughout the United States since just the beginning of the year and have received zero (0) responses. I'm starting to wonder whether it'd be advantageous to eliminate all my post-collegiate work experience from my resume in order to distance myself from real estate and hopefully land a clerical job in a large organization that I can move up within as hiring improves. Also, I've been reading Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground over the last several days. A 110-page stream of consciousness interspersed with introspective back-and-forth argumentation is my rhetorical point of reference.

Since you already have an understanding of our laws:

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/careers.htm

While a cop with a law degree is an extremely valuable commodity, if you prefer a slightly less athletic form of law enforcement, many District Attorney's offices are hiring. Harris County is always filling positions within its 300 member staff, I've recently seen Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston Counties advertising openings, and I am pretty sure that Montgomery County is looking for good lawyers as well. Salary in Harris and surrounding counties usually begins in the mid-50s, but can jump fairly quickly, if you are good and dedicated.

http://www.tdcaa.com/job_bank/

While a cop with a law degree is an extremely valuable commodity, if you prefer a slightly less athletic form of law enforcement, many District Attorney's offices are hiring. Harris County is always filling positions within its 300 member staff, I've recently seen Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston Counties advertising openings, and I am pretty sure that Montgomery County is looking for good lawyers as well. Salary in Harris and surrounding counties usually begins in the mid-50s, but can jump fairly quickly, if you are good and dedicated.

http://www.tdcaa.com/job_bank/

Every once in a while I have to agree with Red. A DA or assistant DA is a fantastic opportunity. You will not make alot of money right out of school, but you will be getting incredible experience, and you will be trying cases, and doing things that those top 10% folks who think they are all that and more will not get to do for years even though they make 4x your salary.

Learn all you can, then go open your own practice and pay your loans off then. Think of it as deferred gratification.

A DA position is a great opportunity.

I took the Census worker exam this morning. And the military option becomes basically unavoidable for me if I'm not employed by mid-summer. So...I'll let you be the judge as to my level of seriousness.

Sorry if I've been a little edgy lately, btw. I've applied to dozens of jobs throughout the United States since just the beginning of the year and have received zero (0) responses. I'm starting to wonder whether it'd be advantageous to eliminate all my post-collegiate work experience from my resume in order to distance myself from real estate and hopefully land a clerical job in a large organization that I can move up within as hiring improves. Also, I've been reading Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground over the last several days. A 110-page stream of consciousness interspersed with introspective back-and-forth argumentation is my rhetorical point of reference.

...Maybe not to distance yourself from real estate, but to distance yourself from that dreaded over-experienced, too highly specialized category. I get what you're saying. When I moved back to Houston a couple years ago, nobody wanted (nor needed) an itinerent archaeologist. Hell, the only people who would give me interviews were those shady "direct-marketer" companies. Fortunately I didn't have to take one of those jobs, but I did have to humble myself and take a job that was beneath both my education and my experience. Desperate times and all. Of course, finding a job then wasn't even as difficult as it is now.

Wondering how to navigate this economy straight out of law school, in top 55% of class, no experience, didn't make the law clerk "click", frightful amount of education loans to pay off begining 7 months from graduation

Dachmation, You'll make a great attorney, you haven't answered LTAWACS questions yet. Seriously, what was your specialty, and did you attend any of the pre-grad employment mixers? What law school did you attend? You should have learned from your mentors that attorneys are not employed, they are recommended. Give us some facts, and maybe we can help.

By the way Red, that Leadbelly! Man, now you talkin' some soul. I've loved these performers since my youth, and watched street corner performers like BB King, and Lightnin' Hopkins jump to stardom with the blues & a whole lotta soul. I'm a hammer lover too! Thanks for the post.

By the way Red, that Leadbelly! Man, now you talkin' some soul. I've loved these performers since my youth, and watched street corner performers like BB King, and Lightnin' Hopkins jump to stardom with the blues & a whole lotta soul. I'm a hammer lover too! Thanks for the post.

Man, listening to some Sam Cooke now. 24zulu, I bet you'd love the Big Easy.

On the Leadbelly note, when my wife got a cat, she swore to me beforehand I'd get to name it. She nixed the idea when I chose the name Irene. So, we don't have the cat anymore.

Man, listening to some Sam Cooke now. 24zulu, I bet you'd love the Big Easy.

On the Leadbelly note, when my wife got a cat, she swore to me beforehand I'd get to name it. She nixed the idea when I chose the name Irene. So, we don't have the cat anymore.

Been there, and dooooo be lovin' iiit ! Sam Cooke is down & out brother --- - Smooooth as the Mississippi ----. Speaking of Mississippi, check out my street corner Delta blues man, "Mr." Johnny Billington, the Mississippi Bluesman :

** Note : Thanks for the cat name - strategy game idea. I'm going to try that on my wife, and maybe she'll get rid of hers....keep you posted.

Been there, and dooooo be lovin' iiit ! Sam Cooke is down & out brother --- - Smooooth as the Mississippi ----. Speaking of Mississippi, check out my street corner Delta blues man, "Mr." Johnny Billington, the Mississippi Bluesman :

** Note : Thanks for the cat name - strategy game idea. I'm going to try that on my wife, and maybe she'll get rid of hers....keep you posted.

So you know, you're talking to a guy who chose his grad school based on the quality of the school city's reputation for the blues. Go Memphis Tigers!

Yeah, that really was most important criteria.

Not too bright, I guess, but that foray managed to introduce me to the woman who's now my wife.

Anyhow... law school. My (very expensive (by my standards)) education has absolutely nothing to do with my current job. Perhaps the OP needs to be willing to branch out if employment in law proves too elusive. Just an option.

Edit: Great call on Johnny Billington. There's something about the sweet sounds of a well played guitar that makes me very happy.

Dachmation, You'll make a great attorney, you haven't answered LTAWACS questions yet. Seriously, what was your specialty, and did you attend any of the pre-grad employment mixers? What law school did you attend? You should have learned from your mentors that attorneys are not employed, they are recommended. Give us some facts, and maybe we can help.

That might be because there are no specialties in law school. You are simply awarded a Juris Doctor degree. Not sure what the last part means, as I most certainly was employed. The interview and hiring process was identical to the process for a regular job.

So you know, you're talking to a guy who chose his grad school based on the quality of the school city's reputation for the blues. Go Memphis Tigers!

Yeah, that really was most important criteria.

Not too bright, I guess, but that foray managed to introduce me to the woman who's now my wife.

Anyhow... law school. My (very expensive (by my standards)) education has absolutely nothing to do with my current job. Perhaps the OP needs to be willing to branch out if employment in law proves too elusive. Just an option.

Edit: Great call on Johnny Billington. There's something about the sweet sounds of a well played guitar that makes me very happy.

I know now, that I'm talkin' to a man who loves his wife - and that makes me just as happy as a well played guitar.

On topic: Law degrees are only as good as the user, in my experience. Dachmation has got to get his networking suit on, or your right, the alternatives will be the only route - which, for some I know turned out to be a blessing in disguise - some, not.

Now - Dachmation, please answer our questions, so that we may try to help.

Attica, over & out for tonight, but - I'll be dreamin' the blues. .. ....zzzzzzzz

I am the grandparent of law school grad--------have watched as this youth embraced a wild and reckless lifestyle, paid for said lifestyle, wanted to "turn his life around" , did the 12 step programs, decided on lawschool, knew his family couldn't pay for law school so indebted himself, concentrated on criminal law--perhaps because of "embrace" of reckless lifestyle and how how that was met by law enforcement?--who knows--

still he completed law school and passed the bar ---------------------with out elusive recommendations that usually accompany that accomplishment. For what ever reason--pulling himself up by his boot straps and finishing his goal of becoming a lawyer--didn't get him employment.

I am the grandparent of law school grad--------have watched as this youth embraced a wild and reckless lifestyle, paid for said lifestyle, wanted to "turn his life around" , did the 12 step programs, decided on lawschool, knew his family couldn't pay for law school so indebted himself, concentrated on criminal law--perhaps because of "embrace" of reckless lifestyle and how how that was met by law enforcement?--who knows--

still he completed law school and passed the bar ---------------------with out elusive recommendations that usually accompany that accomplishment. For what ever reason--pulling himself up by his boot straps and finishing his goal of becoming a lawyer--didn't get him employment.

Dachmation, My hat's off to you in admiration, and my wallet sympathetically ails with you. I paid for a son who wanted to be a pilot, and found that airplanes don't burn fuel, they just devour money.

Please go to the State Bar of Texas website, and click on the section titled, Starting Your Law Practice, then click on, Non-Traditional Career Paths. There are some books there that may guide him well. Also, have him join the Texas Young Lawyers Association, and go to their website. They have a really extensive career support center resume posting, job search, etc. He can also call them @ 1-866-376-0948.

Has he thought about applying for membership on a board of a non-profit? They are always hiring, and it's good duty that can be rewarding, and lead him to other areas. Might be good mentoring as well, and who knows, maybe that's his calling.

I hope your grandson returns your love someday. You're the best kind of grandpa - not matter what he does! Bets of luck to you, and your grandson in the new year, sir.

Dachmation, My hat's off to you in admiration, and my wallet sympathetically ails with you. I paid for a son who wanted to be a pilot, and found that airplanes don't burn fuel, they just devour money.

Please go to the State Bar of Texas website, and click on the section titled, Starting Your Law Practice, then click on, Non-Traditional Career Paths. There are some books there that may guide him well. Also, have him join the Texas Young Lawyers Association, and go to their website. They have a really extensive career support center resume posting, job search, etc. He can also call them @ 1-866-376-0948.

Has he thought about applying for membership on a board of a non-profit? They are always hiring, and it's good duty that can be rewarding, and lead him to other areas. Might be good mentoring as well, and who knows, maybe that's his calling.

I hope your grandson returns your love someday. You're the best kind of grandpa - not matter what he does! Bets of luck to you, and your grandson in the new year, sir.

Why are you sympathizing with dachmation's wallet? The grandson took out the loans.

Why are you sympathizing with dachmation's wallet? The grandson took out the loans.

Red, Thanks for the clarity here, as I was confused between post#1 & #20, as to who was writing, the grandson, or the grandfather. I re-read them, and still don't get it... maybe that's why you got hired right away through normal protocol ( Ha! Ha! ). I did pay for my son's flight school, and I'm at least clear on that - my wallet cries alone.

BM&Y: I just downloaded a cd with Leadbelly & Hooker!

I didn't get hired through "normal protocol". I don't even know what "normal protocol" is. I worked my way through school, paid my own loans, and hired on with a DA's office when nothing else was working for me. The $32,772 annual salary was a 26% increase in pay. Some of the top 10 percenters may get wined and dined, but 90% of law school graduates are on their own. 50% of law school grads never even practice law. I don't know where you got your ideas about how things work for law school grads, but reality is a far cry from what you are spouting.

To dachmation, I know that you want the best for your grandson. But, it sounds to me that he is figuring things out pretty well on his own. If he'd like to chat with someone who's been in those 'not top 10 percent' shoes, feel free to PM me, and I'll give you an email address. The law biz has been good to me, but I have not become a millionaire at it. Frankly, I've never wanted to be one. Most millionaire lawyers I know sold their souls to do it. As such, I have no delusions about the profession, but I sleep well at night.

My first job out of college (undergrad) was at HVLP (Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program). I loved it. Located at 806 Main Street. Maybe he wants to check that place out. It's funded by the Houston Bar and there are several attorneys on staff who help Houston Bar members fulfill their pro-bono requirements. Lots of family law stuff (child custody, divorce, protective orders, etc...) but a really great place to network and meet all sorts of attorneys in the area. I loved working there. A fun place and you are doing good work for people who really need it. Fortunately, it also scared me away from Law School (that and the LSAT).

• 2 months later...

Seems to be a lot of JD's flooding the job market. Then again, I have a masters and many of my classmates from grad school are either unemployed or under-employed. I have two resumes; one for AutoCAD jobs which i did to put me through college which I leave off the masters degree and while I hated it, it is something to fall back on in a pinch and the other resume where I do include my graduate work and send that to employers in my field.

*knocks on wood...so far have been with same company for 4 years and pretty much rode out the recession so far and haven't had to use either of them.

• The title was changed to Straight Out Of Law School

Archived