Houston19514

What do y'all think happened behind the scenes with all this? There must have been corruption...if not, very good communication and agreement.

Three things all happened at once, more or less. Exxon, Grand Parkway and Springwoods Village.

My guess is Exxon told TxDot about their plans and their requirements. TxDot conceded and then Exxon hired Springwoods Village people secretly to build the master planned community right next to them. If nobody else knew Exxon would be doing this, how would SpringWoods Village?

Conspiracy theory already? Jeez. Unless I'm missing the sarcasm...

How about this:

ExxonMobil was looking for a large tract of land with good access for a 2014-2016 timeframe. Grand Parkway has a planned completion of 2015 I believe. So that satisfied one of XOM's requirements for a good site.

The fact that ExxonMobil has been looking at this area for quite a while is no secret at all. It was only *formally* announced a few days ago, but they've been working on the area for some time.

Springwoods Village saw where the wind was blowing, and jumped on the opportunity. If you're looking to build a community, and suddenly see a nearly 400 acre plot of land with good access be purchased, I think that'd be a pretty good clue that something big was happening.

Conspiracy theory already? Jeez. Unless I'm missing the sarcasm...

How about this:

ExxonMobil was looking for a large tract of land with good access for a 2014-2016 timeframe. Grand Parkway has a planned completion of 2015 I believe. So that satisfied one of XOM's requirements for a good site.

The fact that ExxonMobil has been looking at this area for quite a while is no secret at all. It was only *formally* announced a few days ago, but they've been working on the area for some time.

Springwoods Village saw where the wind was blowing, and jumped on the opportunity. If you're looking to build a community, and suddenly see a nearly 400 acre plot of land with good access be purchased, I think that'd be a pretty good clue that something big was happening.

eh, maybe you're right :P

But I forget...how long had it been public that Exxon was looking to study their consolidation and that we knew it was considering it's current site? Did SpringWoods Village get something together that fast? Maybe they did. Plus, it hasn't really been a slam dunk for the GP to get built, has it? There's even been speculation in the past months.

But I forget...how long had it been public that Exxon was looking to study their consolidation and that we knew it was considering it's current site? Did SpringWoods Village get something together that fast? Maybe they did. Plus, it hasn't really been a slam dunk for the GP to get built, has it? There's even been speculation in the past months.

The real estate study has been going on (publically) for at least the past 18 months or so, though the current location has only been known (speculated, whathaveyou) for maybe 6 months? 9? Somewhere in that range, from what I've heard/read/seen. Maybe even longer... folks 'in the know' signed some pretty significant Nondisclosure Agreements. It's been known long enough to get plans drawn up, land purchased, trees cleared, a test building built (yep, a test building - visible on Google Maps, just south of ExxonMobil's property), cranes leased, etc etc.

I mean, it's ExxonMobil... it's a slow moving boat, at best. They take their time on things. I'd wager the higher-ups have known for quite a while.

Edited by Jesse

I think you had them mistaken with the blond executive assistant girl that moved here from Dallas, the jock salesman, the summer intern, and the fruity accountant...none of whom are assumed to be married, have children, or have other dutiful obligtations and routines.

It must be eating away at you (and others) that executives in Dallas made a decision that will have long-term effects on Houston's real estate market.

It must be eating away at you (and others) that executives in Dallas made a decision that will have long-term effects on Houston's real estate market.

Not hardly, so long as the Irving corporate executives keep making decisions to invest in billion dollar projects in the Houston metro area and relocate more jobs here, have at it! Thanks Irving.., thanks for showing H-town some Luv! :)

It must be eating at you that there are no Exxon executives in Dallas at all. There are a few in Irving, but none in Dallas.

But, no, we have no problem with Irving executives making decisions to build 3 million square feet of office space in Houston. None at all. That's more space than Dallas has built in 3 years...combined.

• Like 2

Seeing as traffic is an absolute nightmare for downtown, I'd go with the suburban campus myself. Interesting city life isn't something people consider for their jobs. Nobody is going to put in 8 hours at work, then spontaneously think "you know, I'd like to see a basketball game." If I lived near a suburban campus and worked there, I'd have a short commute, and could still go downtown on weekends and holidays if I so desired.

How long ago were you in your 20s? Proximity to fun stuff is definitely something people consider with jobs coming out of college. I lived in midtown when I moved here 10 years ago, and took the free Astros shuttle to games after work all the time. We walked downtown to bars. Now it's not so much of a big deal, but the point was about kids out of college making the choice, not me with 2 kids.

• Like 1

Springwoods is run by the same people that run the former owner of the ExxonMobil property, according to the data I've seen by searching those entity names. So, as soon as the property was sold, Springwoods knew about it. No conspiracy, just some land owners looking for a way to make some money.

• Like 1

Don't be too hard on 214...

People from dallas are very jealous that Exxon is building their new campus in Houston instead of somewhere in the dfw metroprairie. It's as simple as that. I would expect many more jealous dallasonians to rear their ugly heads at this thread more and more as the new Exxon campus and the fabulous new Springwoods development bring even MORE new residents and talent to Houston from around the country.

Exxon was smart to realize that Houston would be the greater draw as most people prefer the Houston area. There is simply more to do and a much higher quality of life in this region. Beaches, Museums, Shopping, Theatre, Sports, Natural Forests and it stays green all year... In some areas dallas can't even compete with Houston. That is the curse of landlocked cities and the source of many of their insecurities.

There is really a lot for north Texans to be jealous of in Houston so you really can't blame them for hanging around HAIF so that they can know what's going on in our region. If I lived in Dallas I would be more interested in whats going on in Houston too.

• Like 4

With the Exxon campus being in unincorporated Harris County---basically touching Montgomery County---will this entice Houston to annex this area? City limits basically follow 45 all the way up to Splashtown so it wouldn't be hard to do. Once the Grand Parkway cuts through, Exxon is operational at the new site, I bet there will be tons of new businesses going in that location--especially if Springwoods Village comes to fruition like it seems to be doing.

Actually, the City's border extends right up I-45 directly to the Montgomery County line and then bleeds a little east to encompass a few targeted commercial properties fronting the Hardy Toll Road.

The Springwoods Village/Exxon site already abuts the City of Houston and Houston has a knack for annexing commercial properties to the exclusion of residential properties. Unless Exxon and the developer of Springwoods Village were to bribe the City with money paid up-front, as did The Woodlands a couple years back, then it is a foregone conclusion that the City will annex the site. That's just what they do.

I actually do find it interesting.

Say you're a young engineer and you've been offered by two firms; Exxon Mobil and Hess.

Which would you choose if the pay was relatively similar?

Corporate suburban campus vs. downtown across from Discovery Green?

After work drinks at Chili's or after work drinks at House of Blues, the BUS, new brew pub, etc..?

After work options of getting into your car to go anywhere or possibly walking to a Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Dynamo game?

Neighborhoods within 10 minutes of your office are all suburban or large garden style apartments or Downtown, Midtown, East End, Montrose, Upper Kirby, etc...?

as a young engineer you take the state of the art suburban Exxon campus everytime... and that's no knock on Hess.

this isn't investment banking or energy trading... these are petrochemical/e&p/upstream jobs we're talking about. the same reason why BP, Shell, Halliburton, ConocoPhillips and Schlumberger all have the majority of their upstream and petrochem suburban campuses. i would liken this a lot more to technology companies and their suburban campuses (Apple, Dell, AMD, Oracle, Microsoft, etc.) - there is significant value in protecting one's proprietary information, being able to control one's environment and provide adequate (or in these cases amazing) r&d facilities.

• Like 1

How long ago were you in your 20s? Proximity to fun stuff is definitely something people consider with jobs coming out of college. I lived in midtown when I moved here 10 years ago, and took the free Astros shuttle to games after work all the time. We walked downtown to bars. Now it's not so much of a big deal, but the point was about kids out of college making the choice, not me with 2 kids.

Last time I checked I still am in my 20s. I'm 23. And I realize that only young single people who don't think in the long term would care about the entertainment around where they work. What happens when the college grads are in their 30s and have a family? Will they still go out to a Rockets game after work? No. More than likely, given the home prices inside the loop, they'll move to the suburbs (if they haven't already). And they certainly wouldn't want to be bothered with the traffic trying to get home. Only the short-sighted ones would pick the downtown entertainment over the suburban practicality, and if I were an employer, I'd prefer to hire the people who are able to think that far ahead.

Last time I checked I still am in my 20s. I'm 23. And I realize that only young single people who don't think in the long term would care about the entertainment around where they work. What happens when the college grads are in their 30s and have a family? Will they still go out to a Rockets game after work? No. More than likely, given the home prices inside the loop, they'll move to the suburbs (if they haven't already). And they certainly wouldn't want to be bothered with the traffic trying to get home. Only the short-sighted ones would pick the downtown entertainment over the suburban practicality, and if I were an employer, I'd prefer to hire the people who are able to think that far ahead.

Yes clearly Exxon isn't going to base all its decisions on 20-somethings. But the original post you replied to was about young engineers considering an offer between Hess and Exxon. I'm sorry you don't like to do fun things while you're still young, most of us did. Some still do. There is nothing fun to do in Spring.

• Like 2

I based my statement on the assumption that a young engineer would be smart enough to think more than 2 or 3 years into the future.

It's a smart decision for a young engineer fresh out of college to buy a home in the northern suburbs?

Funny, I would think it would be a MUCH smarter move to rent first.

Would I rather rent inside the loop at 23 or at some apartment complex in Spring?

No contest.

Additionally, downtown is still buzzing along. Losing Exxon from the old Humble Oil Tower isn't ideal but downtown is still the home of Kinder Morgan, Cheniere, Plains Exploration, Enterprise, Enbridge, Duncan, Key, El Paso, Center Point, KBR, Natural Resource Partners, Eagle Rock, Calpine, EOG, Plains All American Pipeline, Oil State Int'l, Genesis, Waste Management, Cooper Industries, Petrohawk, Targa, Dynegy, Genon, and Gastar. It's also the metro base for Shell, Devon, Chevron Texaco, and more.

It's a smart decision for a young engineer fresh out of college to buy a home in the northern suburbs?

Would I rather rent inside the loop at 23 or at some apartment complex in Spring?

No contest.

The discussion was about choosing a company that is based downtown or based in a suburban office park, not where you'd rather live in your early 20s. If you are planning with staying with the company as a career, and you plan on having a family, then yes, renting an apartment in Spring then later buying a house up there to work at a suburban campus is the smart move.

No contest.

Additionally, downtown is still buzzing along. Losing Exxon from the old Humble Oil Tower isn't ideal but downtown is still the home of Kinder Morgan, Cheniere, Plains Exploration, Enterprise, Enbridge, Duncan, Key, El Paso, Center Point, KBR, Natural Resource Partners, Eagle Rock, Calpine, EOG, Plains All American Pipeline, Oil State Int'l, Genesis, Waste Management, Cooper Industries, Petrohawk, Targa, Dynegy, Genon, and Gastar. It's also the metro base for Shell, Devon, Chevron Texaco, and more.

Exxon has great benefits and they reward longevity. If you can get in the door at 23, you'll probably be there for enough years that buying makes sense. And for a young engineer, affordability isn't an issue. Affordability might be an issue inside the loop, however.

Besides, I still think that you're missing the point on the sociology of young engineers. They are a differently motivated bunch.

• Like 1

I think the decision to relocate to the suburbs is largely the result of perspective. I'm in my late 20s, working in oil and gas, and grew up inside the 610 loop. I am also starting a family and looking towards buying my first home in the near future.

Even if it means renting a while longer or living in a smaller home, I can't imagine ever moving to the Woodlands or an outlying suburb. It would seem like quite a sacrifice to move away from a base of family and friends just to be closer to the office. But for those new to Houston or moving here because of work with a large family, I can see how establishing a base in the Woodlands would be just as good as anywhere else.

My point is that the decision to move to the suburbs is more about the environment you are most familiar in than the internal tendancy of "young engineers". I am biased in favor of the inner loop, because all I know is the inner loop. An Exxon employee could wear either one of these hats and still have a successful and enjoyable career at the new campus in Spring. One choice just involves a bit more time spent in the car.

• Like 1

Exxon has great benefits and they reward longevity. If you can get in the door at 23, you'll probably be there for enough years that buying makes sense. And for a young engineer, affordability isn't an issue. Affordability might be an issue inside the loop, however.

Besides, I still think that you're missing the point on the sociology of young engineers. They are a differently motivated bunch.

Exxon does have great benefits and they do indeed reward longevity. However, anyone giving advice to buy a home in this market to someone who is 1 year removed from college is most likely called a realtor.

However, you're right. I am missing your point on the supposed motivations of all young engineers. Funny, but the dozen or so 20 somethings that I know that work for Baker Hughes off of Allen Parkway (my niece dates a mechanical engineer who works there) seem like pretty typical 20 something college grads to me. They like to eat out, go to sporting events, concerts, bars, etc.. and all of them live Inside the Loop. Sure, there are some engineers that probably fit the stereotype, but there are many others that don't.

Yes clearly Exxon isn't going to base all its decisions on 20-somethings. But the original post you replied to was about young engineers considering an offer between Hess and Exxon. I'm sorry you don't like to do fun things while you're still young, most of us did. Some still do. There is nothing fun to do in Spring.

very well said.

Well I am 25 yo, educated, homosexual (since it bleeps out the g word) and am active in sports, exercise and leasure. I work on the southwest side of Houston---not far from Missouri City and yet I live off Rayford Rd. in Spring. My demographic would probably much rather be inside the loop. However, I enjoy The Woodlands. I enjoy the trees, quality of life and people's way of living. I'm not an eclectic person---a free spirit with a blase attitude. I'm conservative and I appreciate and respect the ideals around me. I love to go to ball games and events in Houston---Discovery Green, Reliant, Galleria, ect..but i would not want to live there. There's nothing wrong with that. To say that every 20 something yo would much rather live in the city versus the burbs is a misrepresentation of the entire demographic. I like it out here. It's not far from Houston, contrary to popular belief, and if it were me working for Exxon, this campus would be God sent.

IMO, I don't think Exxon really give a rat's behind what it's employees think of it's new location. They probably see it as they don't have a choice but to relocate if they (the employee) want to continue to work for Exxon. Plus, if they end up moving people here from Virginia and other states, I'm sure the burbs are more appealing to those moving here---less traffic, good place to raise children, ect.

Edited by wxman

More evidence that Exxon is going against the grain...

How so? Most of their employees work in Greenspoint and according to the Census' LEHD program, most employees in Greenspoint live in the northern suburbs. It'll probably shorten about as many peoples' commutes as it lengthens. It'll be a very nice campus abutting a scenic natural area, and...it won't be Greenspoint! That's going with the grain. Everything about this idea makes sense.

Also, I found it funny that that little Houston Tomorrow blurb would cite rebellion against parents as a trend. This generation of 'young professionals' has a better relationship with their parents than any in the last century. They've been coddled, fed the idea that they are perfect and unique little snowflakes, each with a purpose, each destined for self-actualization. Little princes and little princesses is what they are. They are to dress in costume and they are to frolick about in an age-appropriate manner in an age-appropriate venue, as defined by marketing paradigms constructed by their parents and older siblings. They are as sheep to the slaughter. (It's why I can't ever date anybody under about 32.)

Exxon doesn't care. It doesn't have to care. It isn't the only game in town, but it's absolutely one of the best. And I think that their decision to consolidate employees in the area that most of them already live is indicative of their respect for their employees. Not everyone wins; not everyone was going to. And that's okay.

• Like 2

Exxon does have great benefits and they do indeed reward longevity. However, anyone giving advice to buy a home in this market to someone who is 1 year removed from college is most likely called a realtor.

Why not? Take advantage of low suburban prices (or the many foreclosure sales), low interest rates, taxable interest, and high inflation expectations. It's great strategy if you have the cash flow. It also helps if you don't mind buying into a school district that's already gone into decline, where crappy schools are priced-in, and it can also help if you don't think so highly of yourself that you refuse to get roommates to pay a portion of your mortgage. (But that might require a sacrifice of image, and that's probably too much to expect of young people.) If worse comes to worse you've got very little else to lose since all one has to do in a pinch is declare bankruptcy and you get to keep your homestead.

I've found it a bit entertaining to read this thread since I embody the 20-something ExxonMobil engineer description. I own near downtown, work in Greenspoint and was drawn to the company after an internship because I admired the efficient and structured approach to running a corporation. I can assure you that the decision to relocate and consolidate to Spring was based on 2 major factors: economics and security. Other than the fact that we already owned the land, location likely had little to no impact on the decision. The allure of consolidating and giving up all of that lease space around town combined with the "campus" design allowing controlled access was too great to pass up.

• Like 1

I've found it a bit entertaining to read this thread since I embody the 20-something ExxonMobil engineer description. I own near downtown, work in Greenspoint and was drawn to the company after an internship because I admired the efficient and structured approach to running a corporation. I can assure you that the decision to relocate and consolidate to Spring was based on 2 major factors: economics and security. Other than the fact that we already owned the land, location likely had little to no impact on the decision. The allure of consolidating and giving up all of that lease space around town combined with the "campus" design allowing controlled access was too great to pass up.

thank you.