Houston19514

The fate of VA will be announced in 2012. Headquarters are officially out of the scope of the study, and is not being considered for a move to Spring.

We actually know quite a bit more than we did yesterday. Size, scope, timing, who, design, look, amenities, etc.

What do we know about the size, scope, timing, who, or amenities that we did not know yesterday? (Size and scope we knew as much yesterday as we do today. Timing was fairly easy to estimate given that work has already started. We knew as much yesterday about "who" as we do today... some undefined group of employees currently scattered around Houston; others from outside Houston still to be determined. Specific design and look is new information; General design is not new. Amenities is fairly obvious for a corporate campus.)

Edited by Houston19514

Either Jesse is privy to special info only available to Exxon Employees or I keep missing the part in every article I've read today that says the HQ is officially out of the study. Is it possible to post a link to any article or credible info that says that the HQ is out of the study? Thanks.

Edited by Mister X

Either Jesse is privy to special info only available to Exxon Employees or I keep missing the part in every article I've read today that says the HQ is officially out of the study. Is it possible to post a link to any article or credible info that says that the HQ is out of the study? Thanks.

From a article by Ralph Bivens on CultureMap:

"Houston may be important to Exxon Mobil. But Houston is not going to be the new corporate headquarters of the world’s largest energy company, Jeffers says"

New Exxon Mobile Campus

From a article by Ralph Bivens on CultureMap:

"Houston may be important to Exxon Mobil. But Houston is not going to be the new corporate headquarters of the world’s largest energy company, Jeffers says"

New Exxon Mobile Campus

Ralph's report includes the most definitive statement we have seen to date regarding the HQ. Each of us can decide how much faith to put in Ralph's reporting.

Why am I not credible?

Direct quote:

"ExxonMobil corporate headquarters in Irving, XTO, and Clinton and Paulsboro Research facilities in New Jersey are not within the scope of the facility study and will not be relocated to the new campus."

I saw those renderings of people sitting outside, enjoying the weather, and had to wonder -- will they have a tunnel system just like they do downtown?

yes, they've already begun construction on a massive tunnel system, although i dont know if it will be for everyday regular employee use with retail or simply for more functional purposes.

• Like 1

xom-energy-center.jpg

xom-central-quad.jpg

xom-office-bldgs.jpg

xom-dining.jpg

xom-childcare-overhead.jpg

xom-childcare.jpg

xom-wellness-center.jpg

http://swamplot.com/welcome-to-the-land-of-exxonmobil-a-tour-of-the-companys-new-north-houston-campus/2011-06-07/#more-29569

With how nice the campus is, I'm wondering why the corporate HQ is supposedly out of the question. The articles I've read said Exxon is still studying on whether to relocate other US offices. I'd say that includes everything, but who knows.

Va. still in play, Irving and Fort Worth are not.

Downtown tower will be emptied.

Spokesman Alan Jeffers said the announcement just affected local employees, but he didn’t rule out transfers from other cities later, explaining that a study of the company’s office space would be ongoing. The large campus also has room for expansion.

Exxon Mobil’s Irving headquarters will not move, nor will the Fort Worth offices of recently acquired XTO Energy. The company’s Fairfax, Va. offices, however, are part of the study. Some 2,500 employees work in that location.

“We’re continuing to study whether it makes sense for other U.S. locations to be located on this campus,” he said.

Exxon Mobil will vacate several area buildings, including a 44-story tower downtown and several buildings in the Greenspoint area. Employees who work in two additional buildings — one on Buffalo Speedway and another along the Katy Freeway — will also move to the new campus.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/06/exxons-real-estate-shake-up/

the buildings look ok... hrmn...

This article in today's NYT discusses UBS's apparent regret in leaving Manhattan for a suburban campus 15 years ago. I'm not comparing Manhattan to Houston as far as recruting talent, but it is interesing how tastes change. I have wondered if Exxon is a little late into the suburban corporate campus game. Anyway, thought the forum might find this interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/nyregion/ubs-may-move-back-to-manhattan-from-stamford.html?_r=1&hp

This article in today's NYT discusses UBS's apparent regret in leaving Manhattan for a suburban campus 15 years ago. I'm not comparing Manhattan to Houston as far as recruting talent, but it is interesing how tastes change. I have wondered if Exxon is a little late into the suburban corporate campus game. Anyway, thought the forum might find this interesting...

http://www.nytimes.c...rd.html?_r=1

i don't know......a swiss bank vs. a texas based energy company........to consider the ubs move, or even businesses headquartered (or not) in manhattan, a national trend would be incorrect.

what we fail to consider in our discussion on exxon is that the economic climate could change unexpectedly and exxon would never finish the campus. ( just read the chronicle article about the coming "boom" for the woodlands area) how many times have major energy companies started huge construction projects and not completed the "campus", i wonder? i'm excited about this, don't get me wrong, however, it's still early in the game. the game can change drastically in three years.

Hey, I got a better idea. Why doesn't the New York Times do an article about whether EXXON regrets moving from Manhattan to a suburban campus in Irving 20 years ago? All indications are that they have no regrets.

BTW, the predictions of a Woodlands "boom" seem more than a little overblown. For one, it is unlikely that any Exxon employee currently working at Greenspoint will move to be closer to a campus only 10 miles up the freeway. Two, many Exxon employees working downtown or at Greenway already live in the northern, northeastern and northwestern areas of the county, and also would not move, given the campus just moved closer to them. Thirdly, those living in Houston will find the drive against traffic up I-45 a piece of cake. I currently drive from the Heights to a location about 4 miles north of the Exxon campus, and it takes me a cool 25 minutes. Those coming from the westside would take a little longer, but not unbearable. Only those coming from south and southwest areas would be looking to relocate.

Besides, where would they move to? Anyone living in the newest sections of the Woodlands is looking at a 45 minute commute to get to the Exxon campus. There are no quick routes from the back of the Woodlands to I-45 during rush hour. Given the location, it is likely that subdivisions in north Harris County will get as many relocations as the Woodlands will. And, given that Exxon apparently plans to build several eateries on campus, all those employees will not be flooding area restaurants either, though there will certainly be some that open up nearby. Restaurants in Town Center, being 7-8 miles away, probably won't see a noticeable increase, given the distance from campus.

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 2

Hey, I got a better idea. Why doesn't the New York Times do an article about whether EXXON regrets moving from Manhattan to a suburban campus in Irving 20 years ago? All indications are that they have no regrets.

BTW, the predictions of a Woodlands "boom" seem more than a little overblown. For one, it is unlikely that any Exxon employee currently working at Greenspoint will move to be closer to a campus only 10 miles up the freeway. Two, many Exxon employees working downtown or at Greenway already live in the northern, northeastern and northwestern areas of the county, and also would not move, given the campus just moved closer to them. Thirdly, those living in Houston will find the drive against traffic up I-45 a piece of cake. I currently drive from the Heights to a location about 4 miles north of the Exxon campus, and it takes me a cool 25 minutes. Those coming from the westside would take a little longer, but not unbearable. Only those coming from south and southwest areas would be looking to relocate.

Besides, where would they move to? Anyone living in the newest sections of the Woodlands is looking at a 45 minute commute to get to the Exxon campus. There are no quick routes from the back of the Woodlands to I-45 during rush hour. Given the location, it is likely that subdivisions in north Harris County will get as many relocations as the Woodlands will. And, given that Exxon apparently plans to build several eateries on campus, all those employees will not be flooding area restaurants either, though there will certainly be some that open up nearby. Restaurants in Town Center, being 7-8 miles away, probably won't see a noticeable increase, given the distance from campus.

Red, this might be the first time I agree with you 100%.

i think everyone understands that the woodlands alone would not be the beneficiary of the exxon campus. there are plenty of non-woodlands neighborhoods to the east of i-45 and south and west of the new campus that will continue to build, neighborhoods on riley fuzzel, rayford, spring steubner......

as far as an employer offering "eateries".........compaq employees and bmc employees had plenty of in house eating and catered options..........the people i know/knew still went out to eat in the area.

also, it's 4.3 miles from hardy toll road at I-45 to kirby's steakhouse in town center....a five minute ride. sawmill will be extended through the new development giving exxon employees an additional connection to town center via grogan's mill. sawdust road eateries will more likely benefit the most (vietnamese, japanese, greek, cajun, indian, thai, italian, mexican........both variety and proximity).

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/nyregion/ubs-may-move-back-to-manhattan-from-stamford.html?_r=1&hp

I actually do find it interesting.

Say you're a young engineer and you've been offered by two firms; Exxon Mobil and Hess.

Which would you choose if the pay was relatively similar?

Corporate suburban campus vs. downtown across from Discovery Green?

After work drinks at Chili's or after work drinks at House of Blues, the BUS, new brew pub, etc..?

After work options of getting into your car to go anywhere or possibly walking to a Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Dynamo game?

Neighborhoods within 10 minutes of your office are all suburban or large garden style apartments or Downtown, Midtown, East End, Montrose, Upper Kirby, etc...?

• Like 1

Say you're a young engineer and you've been offered by two firms; Exxon Mobil and Hess.

After work drinks at Chili's or after work drinks at House of Blues, the BUS, new brew pub, etc..?

After work options of getting into your car to go anywhere or possibly walking to a Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Dynamo game?

Neighborhoods within 10 minutes of your office are all suburban or large garden style apartments or Downtown, Midtown, East End, Montrose, Upper Kirby, etc...?

Seeing as traffic is an absolute nightmare for downtown, I'd go with the suburban campus myself. Interesting city life isn't something people consider for their jobs. Nobody is going to put in 8 hours at work, then spontaneously think "you know, I'd like to see a basketball game." If I lived near a suburban campus and worked there, I'd have a short commute, and could still go downtown on weekends and holidays if I so desired.

Bad choice on the profession. You got the sociology all wrong. On the whole, engineers are hardly the sort to place an overriding premium on the activities you suggest that they should be interested in. I think you had them mistaken with the blond executive assistant girl that moved here from Dallas, the jock salesman, the summer intern, and the fruity accountant...none of whom are assumed to be married, have children, or have other dutiful obligtations and routines.

Exxon. Definitely Exxon. Hands down.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

This is Houston. Having something within walking distance isn't necessarily my primary objective. For me, I'd rather have these options close to where I live, not work.

With the Exxon campus being in unincorporated Harris County---basically touching Montgomery County---will this entice Houston to annex this area? City limits basically follow 45 all the way up to Splashtown so it wouldn't be hard to do. Once the Grand Parkway cuts through, Exxon is operational at the new site, I bet there will be tons of new businesses going in that location--especially if Springwoods Village comes to fruition like it seems to be doing.

Bad choice on the profession. You got the sociology all wrong. On the whole, engineers are hardly the sort to place an overriding premium on the activities you suggest that they should be interested in. I think you had them mistaken with the blond executive assistant girl that moved here from Dallas, the jock salesman, the summer intern, and the fruity accountant...none of whom are assumed to be married, have children, or have other dutiful obligtations and routines.

Exxon. Definitely Exxon. Hands down.

Unfortunately I think you're right. Just look at Silicon Valley, which has a high-concentration of engineers but is primarily suburban and decentralized (with San Francisco being the exception). Plenty of engineering types are fine with spending most their free time on campus, enraptured with work, and many of them have no problem having work colleagues as their main social network. That is, unless they get married, in which case living in suburbia is almost a given.

What do y'all think happened behind the scenes with all this? There must have been corruption...if not, very good communication and agreement.

Three things all happened at once, more or less. Exxon, Grand Parkway and Springwoods Village.

My guess is Exxon told TxDot about their plans and their requirements. TxDot conceded and then Exxon hired Springwoods Village people secretly to build the master planned community right next to them. If nobody else knew Exxon would be doing this, how would SpringWoods Village?