Houston19514

Given that we haven't seen a single rendering of a highrise and that the press release specifically described low-rise buildings, let's test the credibility of that statement.

10 buildings x 20 stories x 25,000sf floorplates + many more low-rises = 5,000,000 square feet + many more low-rises

Nope. Not credible.

Given that we haven't seen a single rendering of a highrise and that the press release specifically described low-rise buildings, let's test the credibility of that statement.

10 buildings x 20 stories x 25,000sf floorplates + many more low-rises = 5,000,000 square feet + many more low-rises

Nope. Not credible.

Neither was it when we first started speculating about this piece of land.

The overhead pictures that were taken seem to show they are building something, and I get the distinct impression they're not going to build just a ton of 5 storey buildings.

It will be wonderful for all these employees to never have to interact with outsiders, and Exxon never have to worry about anything happening near their site. I'm sure it will be a beautiul hamster cage.

It will be wonderful for all these employees to never have to interact with outsiders, and Exxon never have to worry about anything happening near their site. I'm sure it will be a beautiul hamster cage.

These guys are absolutley scared to death of industrial espionage. I've been asked to not even say the word Shell when I'm around Exxon people. Of course any one who works on their projects that has a CD burner or a thumb drive can take whatever they want. I've never been able to figure out how to reconcile that.

Short blub on this at the Houston Business Journal.

"There are well over a dozen office buildings under construction on the Exxon campus, Harvey told the audience. That number does not include support buildings, such as a data center and visitors center, he said."

Also said it would be three more years till it was done.

Other than that, not a lot of new info.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2012/04/harvey-builders-thwarts-attempt-to.html

absolutely no way there will be multiple 20-story bldgs... not that i base that on any particualr knowledge of the project, just doesn't sound credible for a large campus. it also goes counter to the video released on youtube. not to say that it wouldn't or couldn't happen but i'll believe when i see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are we acting like there is so much mystery about the height of the buildings at the new ExxonMobil campus? While we may not know exact numbers, we have a very good idea that there are no strucutures anywhere near 20 stories.

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/01-03-12-the-secrets-of-exxon-mobil-new-north-houston-campus-are-revealed/

• Like 1

A rendering is not a contract.

Yes Niche, we are all aware of that. Which way are you going with that? That it will officially give Spring a competing skyline with The Woodlands, or that it will be a 4-6 story campus similar to the renderings, but not exact? Or is it all in the air, and could be a 3,000ft. skyscraper?

I'm not Niche. I guess we will know how high the Exxon campus buildings will be when it gets closer to completion. Those cranes look mighty high for 4 story buildings.

i was thinking the same thing. the pine trees are six to eight stories high; however, the cranes are usually substantially taller than the structure. the height of the cranes may be of little consequence....unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Huge News! Could the Irving HQ be on the way as well... we'll see? Exxon had better keep that secret under wraps as long as possible because you know the North Texas (i.e. "Dallas") boosters would throw a supreme hissy fit.

Haha, regardless, I'll take the 2100 jobs that come with moving the refining operations from the D.C. area (Fairfax Va.) to Houston. The Irving HQ with its 350 jobs would just be the icing on the cake, but make no mistake about it, these thousands of jobs are the "cake"!

http://www.bizjourna...mobil-jobs.html

http://blog.chron.co...0000-employees/

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)

The more companies move here and the more workers come here the better.

In the long-term, yes - but we also have to be wary that infrastructure development doesn't necessarily move at the same rapid pace as the private sector's decisions. Overly rapid expansion could have negative effects on quality of life for existing (and new) residents.

Here's the XOM press release linked to above:

IRVING, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--ExxonMobil announced today it will expand the size of its campus under construction in Houston to accommodate additional employees from the immediate area and from company locations in Fairfax, VA and Akron, OH.

The affected companies include the Fairfax offices of ExxonMobil’s Refining and Supply Company; ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company; ExxonMobil Fuels, Lubricants & Specialties Marketing Company; the Akron-based employees of ExxonMobil Chemical Company; and select positions from ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Company and ExxonMobil Chemical Company now located at the Baytown refinery complex outside of Houston.

“Including additional employees on the new campus will provide even more opportunities for collaboration and innovation, supporting ExxonMobil’s mission of delivering energy to meet growing global needs,” said Bryan Milton, president of ExxonMobil Global Services Company.

The state-of-the-art campus will have multiple low-rise office buildings, laboratory, conference and training centers and facilities such as child care, a wellness center and other employee amenities.

The campus is located on a 385-acre wooded site on company-owned land near the intersection of I-45 and the Hardy Toll Road. It will accommodate approximately 10,000 employees and is being constructed to high standards of energy efficiency and environmental stewardship.

Construction of the ExxonMobil Houston campus began in 2011. Early site work includes the construction of access roads and bridges, central utilities, computer support and parking facilities.

Employees will move to the campus in phases as the buildings are constructed, beginning in early 2014. Full occupancy for employees is expected by 2015.

As I sat in completely gridlocked traffic yesterday (auto accident), first on southbound I-45, then on side streets (as I attempted to escape the gridlock), I couldn't help but think what 10,000 extra workers...ALL in vehicles...will do to Woodlands traffic. Virtually all north/south traffic in that area is funneled onto I-45. There is not a single north/south artery east of I-45 until you reach US 59 in Kingwood. On the west, you have Gosling Road and Kuykendahl, and that is it.

What a miserable commute that will be for Exxon workers living in the back of the Woodlands.

• Like 1

As I sat in completely gridlocked traffic yesterday (auto accident), first on southbound I-45, then on side streets (as I attempted to escape the gridlock), I couldn't help but think what 10,000 extra workers...ALL in vehicles...will do to Woodlands traffic. Virtually all north/south traffic in that area is funneled onto I-45. There is not a single north/south artery east of I-45 until you reach US 59 in Kingwood. On the west, you have Gosling Road and Kuykendahl, and that is it.

What a miserable commute that will be for Exxon workers living in the back of the Woodlands.

All the Exxon employees will be moving to Springwoods Village, what are you talking about? :P

First, I'm curious what percentage of Exxon employees already live in The Woodlands.

Second, for those who don't, I'm curious to see what percentage will utilize Hardy and Grand Parkway b/c they are reverse commuting or live on the west side.

Got this email from Springwoods Village person:

The current plans for Springwoods roads are showings connections into the community via Sawmill Road/Holzwarth and Gosling/Mossy Oaks. We do not have timing as to when those connections will be constructed.

Regardless, Exxon it seems will only have one entrance to their complex. How will almost 10k employees get there in a two hour time span?

Reverse commuters will largely use I-45 northbound, as there is no backup heading north in the morning. The only backup will be at the exit ramp, similar to Woodlands Parkway. In the afternoon, there is a backup at the Shepherd curve up to Beltway 8. Some people may prefer Hardy heading south. If I see severe backups in the afternoon, sometimes I take Hardy. Mostly, I just tough it out, as traffic only slows to about 20-30 mph.

The interchange at Hardy and I-45 heading southbound also gets very congested. Those coming from the Woodlands south on 45 will have a headache exiting to get to the campus. It is just going to suck until a way to come south from the back of the Woodlands to the Grand Parkway is built.

As I sat in completely gridlocked traffic yesterday (auto accident), first on southbound I-45, then on side streets (as I attempted to escape the gridlock), I couldn't help but think what 10,000 extra workers...ALL in vehicles...will do to Woodlands traffic. Virtually all north/south traffic in that area is funneled onto I-45. There is not a single north/south artery east of I-45 until you reach US 59 in Kingwood.

Going South, The Grand Parkway will feed directly into 59, The Hardy, I-45, and 249. The timing of the campus and those sections of the GP is no accident.

On the west, you have Gosling Road and Kuykendahl, and that is it.

Most people in the back of The Woodlands take 2978, which they are imminently expanding. So that's three arteries going N/S hrough The Woodlands without going up 45.

Most people in the back of The Woodlands take 2978, which they are imminently expanding. So that's three arteries going N/S hrough The Woodlands without going up 45.

Three north/south arteries serving 100,000 people in a 10 mile wide area (the same width as Loop 610). Yep, that should just about take care of it.

:blink:

BTW, what is your estimate of commute time south on FM 2978 (a 2 lane road), cutting across FM 2920, then driving east on Boudreaux/Spring Stuebner to the new XOM campus at, oh, say, 8 in the morning? I'm going with an hour and 20 minutes.

Edited by RedScare

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/woodlands-news/article/Segments-of-Grand-Parkway-are-taking-shape-3489126.php

the exxon campus will come online slowly. the grand parkway segments that will relieve congestion should be well on their way by the time exxon mobil is fully operational. the connection from holzworth to grogan's mill requires a bridge over spring creek.