Burj Dubai finally opens, and is renamed Burj Khalifa Bin Zayed

So on the day that the Burj Dubai finally opens, it gets a new name: Burj Khalifa Bin Zayed or "Burj Khalifa" for short. Named after the president of the United Arab Emirates.

We also now know the official height -- 828 meters or 2,717 feet. That's 10 meters taller than the previous reliable estimate (by a bunch of Samsung engineers who were putting the aircraft beacons on it).

There's lots of pictures and information about Burj Khalifa Bin Zayed on our sister site, Glass Steel and Stone.

The building doesn't look as tall as it is from the ground, as there's no visual references to height nearby. It is actually more impressive to see it from an airplane, as you realize that the top is still higher than the plane several minutes after take off. Whether or not the building is a success, it's a testament to what can be done if you are willing to spend unlimited amounts of money.

I had the rare opportunity to go to the event last night. I really didn't know what was going to happen at all, so I got there early and ate at the Dubai mall next door and then headed out at 5pm which is when someone told me when it (whatever that was) began. I was as close to the building as the public could be and waited there for 3 hours for something to happen until finally the head Dubai guy (forgot his name) showed up and then there was a water show that not even the Bellagio could live up to. Then they had some people parachute down from the black night. After about another hour of just watching the head hancho on the big screen, walking around and glad handing, I decided I needed to get out of there since I had no clue what and when anything else was going to happen. Plus, I had work the next day and didn't want to fight the crowd for a taxi. Anyway, while waiting in a covered area for the taxi, I heard some popping going on, which I figured out was fireworks, which I read was an amazing show.

But it's weird, b/c like Ross said, it looks tall but it's hard to tell from the base. I did not see it on the plane ride in, but saw it from the outskirts of the city, and yes it's very tall.

I have heard many people say that Dubai is sort of the Vegas of the east. That's a horrible comparison as the amount of very tall scrapers and construction going on doesn't even compare.

Also, the tower was named after the President as Editor noted, which is in Abu Dhabi, whom bailed out Dubai...I guess a small gesture towards the guy.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100103/BUSINESS/701039934/1005

After selling 90 per cent of the units in the record-setting edifice, Emaar has pocketed a profit of at least 10 per cent on the US$1.5 billion (Dh5.51bn) cost of construction, said Mohamed Alabbar, Emaar’s chairman.

“Tall buildings don’t make money. They normally don’t,” Mr Alabbar said. “But to still sell it and make a return of more than 10 per cent? That’s really fabulous.”

<iframe src="http://widget.newsinc.com/single.htm?WID=2&VID=66938&freewheel=69016&sitesection=ndnsubss" height="320" width="425" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>

If this were a domestic project, I'd emphatically claim that they could not possibly have already sold 90% of the building, and that their claims of sales are probably just pre-sales, most of which were made years ago and will not convert to sales. I'd claim that even if both buyers and seller wanted to close on 90% of units on the first day that the building was open, it'd still be impracticable.

The only reason that I'd doubt my gut on this at all is that Dubai's legal and financial system may allow for such dumbassery as allowing units to be closed on in a building that is not yet completed or open.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived