Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Very nice, the entire old boy scouts lot has a construction fence around it too

Work has begun on both sites --

Interior demo on the Boy Scout building was in full force yesterday.....

The parking garage site is in the process of having the old chain link fence taken down and other debris removed.

• Like 1

This will be a great fit for the area. We are really starting to see a critical mass of residential, retail and commercial buildings that will make this part of Midtown truly sustainable. And while many of us still dream of a pedestrian/mass-transit oriented infrastructure (jncluding myself), a public parking garage is a lot more practical. I consider it a welcome compromise.

When can we start the official CVS boycott? We need a "do over" on that block!

It was rainy and gross, but I added a couple of snapped pics of the work on InnerLooped. This is going to be huge for Midtown and can't wait to see it completed!

Is the parking garage going to have ground level retail? Some places say it will and others just say a 7-story parking garage with no mention of retail...

...We are really starting to see a critical mass of residential, retail and commercial buildings that will make this part of Midtown truly sustainable.

I already view the area as sustainable. Just wait until the economy rebounds... Midtown is going to explode.

Is the parking garage going to have ground level retail? Some places say it will and others just say a 7-story parking garage with no mention of retail...

Everything that I've read says there will be ground level retail with parking above it. Based on the culture map article and list of prospective tenants... I don't see how they'd all be able to fit in the Boy Scouts building along with Landmark's planned office spaces.

• 2 weeks later...

I already view the area as sustainable. Just wait until the economy rebounds... Midtown is going to explode.

Everything that I've read says there will be ground level retail with parking above it. Based on the culture map article and list of prospective tenants... I don't see how they'd all be able to fit in the Boy Scouts building along with Landmark's planned office spaces.

http://innerlooped.com/?p=298

"Landmark Houston Hospitality Group has started demo of the Old Boy Scouts building in Midtown. Workers have started taking junk out of the Old Boy Scouts building in wheelbarrows, and the lot across the street is starting to be torn up for a new ground level retail/seven story parking garage. InnerLooped will continue to cover the progress of this development."

http://doublecrossvo...s/PR_121010.pdf

Landmark is also the same company that opened the new martini bar on gray... interesting.

Edited by DrLan34

http://innerlooped.com/?p=298

"Landmark Houston Hospitality Group has started demo of the Old Boy Scouts building in Midtown. Workers have started taking junk out of the Old Boy Scouts building in wheelbarrows, and the lot across the street is starting to be torn up for a new ground level retail/seven story parking garage. InnerLooped will continue to cover the progress of this development."

http://doublecrossvo...s/PR_121010.pdf

Landmark is also the same company that opened the new martini bar on gray... interesting.

http://innerlooped.com/?p=349

http://www.lamaisonmidtown.com/index.html

"I noticed this new bed and breakfast in Midtown slowly coming to life last year when it was under construction, but never knew when it would open. Well La Maison’s website is up and running and it appears they have been open for a couple months now. The place looks fantastic on the outside, and their website describes some of the great rooms available on the inside. Even TripAdvisor has it currently rated the #4 B&B in Houston (granted only two reviews available). One cool thing I discovered about La Maison is that they offer guest access to the 24 Hour Fitness in Midtown. So do any of you know anyone that has stayed here? Room 304 sounds like my kind of place…"

The owner of Pub Fiction brought renderings of the building to a Midtown Planning meeting awhile back. If plans haven't changed since then... the building is going to be awesome w/ a nice entrance on the corner w/ columns. It will be multi story (I think 2 or 3) with a roof bar thing w/ parking in the back. It will be built to the sidewalk (I think he's going to even widen the sidewalk some and add lighting) so it will fit in perfectly with the neighborhood.

Finally found one of the renderings I was talking about w/ more info on the project... http://innerlooped.com/368/pub-fiction-v2-0-coming-soon/

• Like 1

Empty lot.

Ya I notcied they broke up the earth at the lot earlier and closed off the parking but then the construction equipment has since left. I look forward to ground breaking on this place.

Seems like there is a lot of activity in Midtown right now.

Edited by DrLan34

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.culturema.../?mobileview=on

"Landmark Houston Hospitality Group, the folks behind Hearsay and soon-to-be open The White House, are renovating the 1950s Boy Scouts of America building in Midtown and converting it into a mixed-use development.

The group, which is known for restoring and re-purposing historic spaces (Hearsay is housed in the Foley-Kennedy building, built in 1889) plan to dub the city-block-sized space Scout Square.

The development at 1911 Bagby, which will see the addition of one floor and a seven-story parking garage, will include 50,000 square feet of retail and office space. Anchor tenants include Moor's Restaurant and Hooka Bar, a Moroccan-themed eatery, and a Black Finn Saloon. Additional tenants are yet to be announced, but Landmark will keep a portion of the space to develop its own concept.

Phase I of the development, which is bordered by Brazos, Pierce, and Bagby, is slated to break ground in mid-November."

Drove by during lunch and caught the new renderings on my cell phone... looks very good, I am impressed.

• Like 1

hookah bar?

nice.

it sure feels like midtown is moving and building a lot faster this year than over the past few. good signs for the economy as a whole? like banks are making loans again, or more people moving to the area and business is noticing? or just the timing of it all?

Midtown was moving forward even during the downturn. Don't forget Camden Travis, Farb's apts at McGowen@Bagby, the development near Continental Club w/ Natachee's, etc. We've had some major developments while a lot of the city sat idle. Midtown will explode once the economy completely recovers. It's just too convenient of a place located between Downtown and Med Center along the rail line.

Midtown was moving forward even during the downturn. Don't forget Camden Travis, Farb's apts at McGowen@Bagby, the development near Continental Club w/ Natachee's, etc. We've had some major developments while a lot of the city sat idle. Midtown will explode once the economy completely recovers. It's just too convenient of a place located between Downtown and Med Center along the rail line.

yeah, I was thinking about all of those places when I was writing, it just feels like the volume of projects is picking up, or maybe it's just that there's more buzz around what's going up currently.

Edited by samagon

I suppose so, but it felt like development had stalled a few years ago, particularly on the eastern side of Midtown. Glad to see all the new development and I hope it keeps densifying.

Midtown has lots of potential for future commercial development, but more needs to be done to enhance the traffic flow and make it pedestrian friendly. Maybe even adding a nice hike and bike trail around Austin or Caroline too!

How is the traffic flow bad in midtown? I could see why you'd say that b/c of the light rail, but besides that it seems like it would be great. Not too many lights and plenty of one way lanes. But you probably travel it more often.

How is the traffic flow bad in midtown? I could see why you'd say that b/c of the light rail, but besides that it seems like it would be great. Not too many lights and plenty of one way lanes. But you probably travel it more often.

He's probably referring to the traffic lights on W<->E streets such as Elgin and McGowen. It's not uncommon to catch just about every red light when traveling down some of these streets, particularly Elgin. The N<->S streets seem to be given the traffic signaling priority for the folks going in and out of DT and the spur.

He's probably referring to the traffic lights on W<->E streets such as Elgin and McGowen. It's not uncommon to catch just about every red light when traveling down some of these streets, particularly Elgin. The N<->S streets seem to be given the traffic signaling priority for the folks going in and out of DT and the spur.

it is possible to catch a red light at every intersection at the wrong time of day.

Thanks!

Typical garage look, except bonus bottom floor retails, so I won't complain too much. Plus, any parking garage in midtown is a MAJOR plus.

I love this development. After coming back from San Fransisco, I kept wondering why our Midtown/Downtown didn't have more garages w/ street level retail. This will provide plenty of parking for the restaurants under (and across) the street... so it will truly make it an area where you can park and walk to various bars/restaurants w/out having to hop on an airport shuttle bus to get you to the next place.