Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

I got wind of a new club coming to Midtown. I'm not sure where or when, but was told that it will be a cross between Meteor and South Beach. That means dancing, a stage for shows and lounges. It is not a project by the owner of the previously mentioned venues. Can anyone think of an existing building that could be renovated to accomodate such a venue. Sorry for the vagueness, but that's all I have for now.

It's called Mainstage and I think they're already open at 2016 Main. Their website is leavetheboyfriendathome.com. I'm curious to if they have a dance floor and what kind of music they would play...

I got wind of a new club coming to Midtown. I'm not sure where or when, but was told that it will be a cross between Meteor and South Beach. That means dancing, a stage for shows and lounges. It is not a project by the owner of the previously mentioned venues. Can anyone think of an existing building that could be renovated to accomodate such a venue. Sorry for the vagueness, but that's all I have for now.

Prolly the same size... not much differnt.

There are 9 new townhomes that are going up on W Webster (Two blocks from Taft and Gray) next to JunaMon's International Sandwich shop. Some will have observation decks. They already started prepping the land and construciton is supposed to start next month.

I'll see if I can get some floor plans or somthing soon. Hopefully the new school magnet school at Taft and Gray will start soon...

• Like 1

Okay, so it's on the border of Midtown/Montrose, on Tuam across the street from Late-Nite Pie. The building is an old printing company or something.

Is Pub's place going in on Louisiana next to Howl at the Moon and do you have any details about the place?

The owner of Pub Fiction brought renderings of the building to a Midtown Planning meeting awhile back. If plans haven't changed since then... the building is going to be awesome w/ a nice entrance on the corner w/ columns. It will be multi story (I think 2 or 3) with a roof bar thing w/ parking in the back. It will be built to the sidewalk (I think he's going to even widen the sidewalk some and add lighting) so it will fit in perfectly with the neighborhood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a new sign for a Magnicat House events center on the other side of the fire station from the White House. Could this be casting doubt on the success of a restaurant in this area? Hope not. I realize charities are good, but was hoping for something more supplemental to the town home community at that lot. Anyone have an update on the White House?

Finally made it over to the lot and put a pic of the Magnificat rendering on my new blog: Rendering I actually like the look of it a lot. It would be nice if a multi-story had made it to Elgin... but this looks fairly decent at least.

Finally made it over to the lot and put a pic of the Magnificat rendering on my new blog: Rendering I actually like the look of it a lot. It would be nice if a multi-story had made it to Elgin... but this looks fairly decent at least.

Good luck with your blog. I have it book marked and will look forward to checking in.

There was an article in the Chronicle today outlining some new developments in the Midtown area that sound incredible... Houston Chronicle

In short:

1. Big white mansion at Elgin @ Austin will be renovated ($3 million cost) into a new upscale restaurant, lounge, and event center

2. Old Boy Scouts of America building at Bagby and Victor: Work on the Boy Scouts building will begin in February. The $20 million project will include Moor's Restaurant and Tapas Lounge, serving mainly Moroccan and Spanish cuisine and be leased and operated by Hicham Naffaa and Ali Bendella, owners of Coco's Crepes, Cava American Bistro and Cielo Mexican Bistro. The building, scheduled to open in October, will also have banquet space and Chopra's offices.

3. Parking garage w/ retail: Across the street, Chopra owns land on which he plans to build a seven-story public garage with street-level retail. (NOTE: I believe this is the lot at Bagby and Victor across the street from Christian's Tailgate)

Here's a Google view of the areas being talked about:

Old Mansion

Boy Scout building and new garage w/ retail across street

Guys,

Do you think the closing down of Cielo's downtown will delay Ali's plan to remodel the Old Boy Scouts of America building?

Any updates for #2 and #3 listed above?

Edited by DrLan34

Guys,

Do you think the closing down of Cielo's downtown will delay Ali's plan to remodel the Old Boy Scouts of America building?

Any updates for #2 and #3 listed above?

I have seen guys rummaging around in the empty lot across from the future Alis (where the parking garage is supposed to go) over the last couple of weeks....they are measuring, pointing, talking, measuring some more...etc...

Edited by u080570

I found a rendering for a potential building acorss from Starbucks on Gray from HAR. This might be completely dead but if someone has some info, please pass it along.

When I lookup 610 Gray on street view it shows me the Starbucks building. I wonder if this is just an old rendering of the Starbucks building that they are trying to lease out?

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen guys rummaging around in the empty lot across from the future Alis (where the parking garage is supposed to go) over the last couple of weeks....they are measuring, pointing, talking, measuring some more...etc...

I was driving by at lunch and saw one of those temporary buildings that contractors use at construction sites at the Old Boy Scout's parking lot - it was hitched to the back of a truck and was either being moved into or out of the parking lot. I don't remember if it was always there or not.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

I was driving by at lunch and saw one of those temporary buildings that contractors use at construction sites at the Old Boy Scout's parking lot - it was hitched to the back of a truck and was either being moved into or out of the parking lot. I don't remember if it was always there or not.

They are putting up fences around the construction site of the parking garage...

• Like 2

Very nice, the entire old boy scouts lot has a construction fence around it too

http://www.culturemap.com/newsdetail/09-29-10-scout-honor-hearsay-group-to-turn-former-boy-scout-building-into-midtown-destination/?mobileview=on

"Landmark Houston Hospitality Group, the folks behind Hearsay and soon-to-be open The White House, are renovating the 1950s Boy Scouts of America building in Midtown and converting it into a mixed-use development.

The group, which is known for restoring and re-purposing historic spaces (Hearsay is housed in the Foley-Kennedy building, built in 1889) plan to dub the city-block-sized space Scout Square.

The development at 1911 Bagby, which will see the addition of one floor and a seven-story parking garage, will include 50,000 square feet of retail and office space. Anchor tenants include Moor's Restaurant and Hooka Bar, a Moroccan-themed eatery, and a Black Finn Saloon. Additional tenants are yet to be announced, but Landmark will keep a portion of the space to develop its own concept.

Phase I of the development, which is bordered by Brazos, Pierce, and Bagby, is slated to break ground in mid-November."