Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

That looks like a pretty dingy building and doesn't look historic. And where are the planning to put the garage; it doesn't look like there's room. Is this the righ location?

http://www.bing.com/...TX%2077002-8594

That's the right location. From what I remember in the Chronicle article from awhile back... the garage will be built on the empty lot across from Christian's Tailgate. The building itself is that rectangular two story one in the middle of your link. The White House that is mentioned is here: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=nypxrg71jy99&scene=32457314&lvl=2&sty=b

As far as the other development, I wish I can see a rendering of what's going on over on main street.

How DOES that antique store across the street stay in business?

I don't know of any renderings because it's just a rehab of an existing building. It's the building in the middle of this view: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=nypt9n71jhsf&scene=32460678&lvl=2&sty=b The horse was grazing on the lot to the right of it. The storefronts reminded me of Guadalupe St in Austin.

That looks like a pretty dingy building and doesn't look historic.

That style of architecture (with the random placing of rounded stones on the exterior) seems to have been popular in the late 50s. There are a few examples in the Montrose area (a couple of apartment complexes on W Alabama are most prominent.)

Is there a name for this look? I've heard the term 'Organic' used, but that seems to be a stretch. Bedrock/Flintstones?

At any rate, improved landscaping and the proposed alterations may perk the old girl up.

Flaming Heart and Shoparama look open already, but the posted hours said closed Monday, so I guess that's why they were closed. To my knowledge, Natachee's hasn't opened yet, but there were silverware rolls set out on the tables, so maybe soon? I think I read a press release about Sig's Lagoon opening soon, but can't remember the date...

As usual, great photos, kylejack. Thanks!

Thanks! Took them with my new cell phone, Samsung Epic.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

Some before pictures, via Jay Lee, from the Swamplot article in the OP. http://www.baldheret...ban-development

Did Sig's move? Wasn't it next to Tacos a GoGo? Now it looks like it is in one of the newly renovated storefronts. If that's the case, what happened to Sig's old location?

Sig's is now going to be across the smaller street from Continental Club, on the side of the newly renovated building. I went and looked at the old Sig's location and it doesn't look like they're fully out yet. Not sure what the plan is.

Edited by kylejack

Some before pictures, via Jay Lee, from the Swamplot article in the OP. http://www.baldheret...ban-development

Sig's is now going to be across the smaller street from Continental Club, on the side of the newly renovated building. I went and looked at the old Sig's location and it doesn't look like they're fully out yet. Not sure what the plan is.

Natachee's is open. Had lunch there today. Great place. Lacy adds a nice touch.

There's a horse over to the right in that fenced area - over by that tractor. Her name is Lacy. Real sweet.

I thought I saw a horse the other day with a sign on it when I went by on the light rail, but then I thought maybe I imagined it. So what was the horse doing there?

I thought I saw a horse the other day with a sign on it when I went by on the light rail, but then I thought maybe I imagined it. So what was the horse doing there?

The owner has a horse and the land, so why not?

She would not come all the way over to the fence to see us, but as soon as some people came out to the side patio of the restaurant, she trotted over to them.

Went to Natachee's last night and really enjoyed it. I had the bacon burger and fries, and also tried the Sliders and baked mac n' cheese (incredible). Lacy was there and trotted over when we came out. The owner is a really nice guy who said he plans to eventually setup the outdoor area for live music w/ a stage and hanging out. I'm bringing the coworkers by for lunch today. They also told me that more things will be added to the menu soon (as mentioned above) like Chicken N' Dumplings and breakfast items to be served all day.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw a new sign for a Magnicat House events center on the other side of the fire station from the White House. Could this be casting doubt on the success of a restaurant in this area? Hope not. I realize charities are good, but was hoping for something more supplemental to the town home community at that lot. Anyone have an update on the White House?

I saw a new sign for a Magnicat House events center on the other side of the fire station from the White House. Could this be casting doubt on the success of a restaurant in this area? Hope not. I realize charities are good, but was hoping for something more supplemental to the town home community at that lot. Anyone have an update on the White House?

I noticed this too, but I think it will be good for the area. It looks like a nice office/admin building. They've owned the land forever, and considering they own almost every house on the street across from the White House already (used for housing even, not an office/admin), I don't see why it would have any impact on the project. They also own the most incredible old white house mansion one block down as well. Last I heard (when eating at Hearsay) is that the project is just slower because they are figuring out a way to do construction on the White House w/out tearing up the historical insides too much.

I noticed this too, but I think it will be good for the area. It looks like a nice office/admin building. They've owned the land forever, and considering they own almost every house on the street across from the White House already (used for housing even, not an office/admin), I don't see why it would have any impact on the project. They also own the most incredible old white house mansion one block down as well. Last I heard (when eating at Hearsay) is that the project is just slower because they are figuring out a way to do construction on the White House w/out tearing up the historical insides too much.

The Houston Midtown website is upgraded and looks good.

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/midtown.cfm

• Like 1