Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

I love this development. After coming back from San Fransisco, I kept wondering why our Midtown/Downtown didn't have more garages w/ street level retail. This will provide plenty of parking for the restaurants under (and across) the street... so it will truly make it an area where you can park and walk to various bars/restaurants w/out having to hop on an airport shuttle bus to get you to the next place.

I think it's the fact that few developers are willing to take that chance or think "outside the box" when it comes to it.

Let's just hope this continues to be a trend in the Washington, Midtown, and maybe Rice Village areas.

I think it's the fact that few developers are willing to take that chance or think "outside the box" when it comes to it.

Let's just hope this continues to be a trend in the Washington, Midtown, and maybe Rice Village areas.

After watching some of those videos I posted yesterday, it makes me rethink who to blame in situations like this. Yes, it very well may be the developers who don't think outside the box, but maybe it's just harder to get financing for out of the box type ideas.

After watching some of those videos I posted yesterday, it makes me rethink who to blame in situations like this. Yes, it very well may be the developers who don't think outside the box, but maybe it's just harder to get financing for out of the box type ideas.

Guys check out what I saw parked in front of El Patio the other day "Mobile Cigar Lounge"... very interesting.

http://www.styxlounge.com/

Finally found one of the renderings I was talking about w/ more info on the project... http://innerlooped.c...-0-coming-soon/

i saw heavy construction equipment on here yesterday, things look they are moving full steam ahead on Pub Fiction #2.

I also saw heavy construction equipment next to JunaMon's International Sandwiches at Taft and West Webster... Nino Realty is moving forward with what i think is 9 new townhomes.

Edited by DrLan34

I saw these yesterday, great infill, the place is starting to feel crowded and i like it.

Yes, great infill indeed...get a tat, haircut and shave all within walking distance of the Hookah Bar! And such a interesting juxtapositional reuse for that building. Boy Scouts to hookahs...."Geepers, Wally, I just saw a sign on the Boy Scout building that says, Hookah Bar coming soon". What's a hookah bar? Gee, I don't know, Beav, but I think it's a place where those ladies who stand on the corners downtown can go and hang out together. Oh, I guess that's ok, Wally. Maybe they're gonna get merit badges or something". :P

But yes, it does seem like Midtown is starting to gain steam. The place has such size and easy street grids which can give it a solid, filled feeling eventually. It's boundaries are distinct with 3 freeways and the Montrose where the streets begin to sway and stray a bit. Here's to the big rectangle!

any construction updates or pictures on all the new projects? i've been out of town and will be for the next 3 weeks...

Construction at the Boy Scout site is continuing full steam ahead -- not much more to see yet, as they are still working on the foundation (underground stuff)...supposedely Bagby is going to be closed around the construction until August...signs are up all around the area for detours...it is still open as of this morning, although it is only one lane

• Like 2

Construction at the Boy Scout site is continuing full steam ahead -- not much more to see yet, as they are still working on the foundation (underground stuff)...supposedely Bagby is going to be closed around the construction until August...signs are up all around the area for detours...it is still open as of this morning, although it is only one lane

gracias amigo

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rebusines...ptype=Mixed-Use

"LANDMARK HOUSTON HOSPITALITY TO REVITALIZE SCOUTS SQUARE

HOUSTON — Landmark Houston Hospitality Group (LH2G) is revitalizing Scouts Square, a redevelopment of the former headquarters of the Boy Scouts of America building. Landmark will add an additional floor to the existing building as well as a full renovation and an outdoor area with a large patio and gardens. Phase I of the project, which broke ground earlier this year, will consist of 50,000 square feet of retail and office space with a seven-story parking garage. Anchor tenants will include the Moroccan themed Moor's Restaurant & Hooka Bar and Black Finn Saloon. Meanwhile, Phase II will consist of first floor retail, apartments and additional parking with a construction date slated for early 2012."

-

First time I heard about some details (although vague) regarding phase 2.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

Where on earth are they planning to expand? I get putting retail on the first floor of the garage, but additional parking and apartments?....maybe down the street towards west dallas?

http://www.rebusines...ptype=Mixed-Use

"LANDMARK HOUSTON HOSPITALITY TO REVITALIZE SCOUTS SQUARE

HOUSTON — Landmark Houston Hospitality Group (LH2G) is revitalizing Scouts Square, a redevelopment of the former headquarters of the Boy Scouts of America building. Landmark will add an additional floor to the existing building as well as a full renovation and an outdoor area with a large patio and gardens. Phase I of the project, which broke ground earlier this year, will consist of 50,000 square feet of retail and office space with a seven-story parking garage. Anchor tenants will include the Moroccan themed Moor's Restaurant & Hooka Bar and Black Finn Saloon. Meanwhile, Phase II will consist of first floor retail, apartments and additional parking with a construction date slated for early 2012."

-

First time I heard about some details (although vague) regarding phase 2.

• 3 weeks later...

more information and new renderings

http://blogs.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/03/a_look_inside_scouts_square_co.html

"Construction is underway at Scout Square, a

redevelopment of the former headquarters of the Boy Scouts of America building in Midtown.

In a nod to the Boy Scouts, signage on the building will incorporate the youth group's emblem.

Below are renderings of a back-lit sign that is planned for the garage, as well as a preliminary design for a mosaic that would be on the front of the old Boy Scouts building.

The sign on the 238-space, 7-story garage will face Interstate 45, according to the plans.

The first floor of the garage will be home to a BlackFinn American Saloon. Plans are for an October opening, said Jiten Karnani, president of Deccan Development.

The developer plans to add an extra floor to the building, which will include a night club in the basement and an 8,133 square foot banquet hall on the second floor.

Other tenants include the previously announced Moroccan themed Moor's Restaurant & Hooka Bar.

Karnani said he expects exterior construction to be completed by the end of August."

Good question regarding where the second phase will be built? Do they own more land, and where? because it doesn't appear anything else can be built next to the garage or the boy scout building. Maybe they'll fit a few apts north of the boy scout building, but additional parking too and retail?

Should this be moved to going up? Not sure what the rule is with that.

Good question regarding where the second phase will be built? Do they own more land, and where? because it doesn't appear anything else can be built next to the garage or the boy scout building. Maybe they'll fit a few apts north of the boy scout building, but additional parking too and retail?

Should this be moved to going up? Not sure what the rule is with that.

i would say yes, 7 story parking garage with retail seems substantial enough along with whatever other buildings may come

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/17061521/1911-Bagby-Houston-TX/

"Description

Scouts Square is Midtown's newest development. 1911 Bagby will consist of a basement bar/club, 1st floor Moor's Restaurant, 2nd floor banquet space and 3 floor office. Unique opportunity to build to suit your specifications located on 3rd floor. Est 10,000 sqft and can be divisble. Across the street will be 10,000 sqft restaurant, Blackfinn American Saloon, and a parking garage directly above. Please refer to the renderings.

Prime Location in the heart of Midtown. Corner of Bagby and Pierce across from New Edge Condominiums & The Rise. Parking garage located across the street and Accessible from major freeways: I-45, I-10, SH 288, Hwy 59."

• Like 1

http://www.loopnet.c...gby-Houston-TX/

"Description

Scouts Square is Midtown's newest development. 1911 Bagby will consist of a basement bar/club, 1st floor Moor's Restaurant, 2nd floor banquet space and 3 floor office. Unique opportunity to build to suit your specifications located on 3rd floor. Est 10,000 sqft and can be divisble. Across the street will be 10,000 sqft restaurant, Blackfinn American Saloon, and a parking garage directly above. Please refer to the renderings.

Prime Location in the heart of Midtown. Corner of Bagby and Pierce across from New Edge Condominiums & The Rise. Parking garage located across the street and Accessible from major freeways: I-45, I-10, SH 288, Hwy 59."

I like the model. Are those people and cars computer generated?

gallery_723_64_1890.jpg

I am looking forward to this development and the adjacent garage as some good infill for Midtown, but doesn't the old Scout building retro-fit look a little strange? Maybe even tacky? Judging by the renderings, the old and new components of this building don't mesh.

Maybe some architecture buffs out there can help explain otherwise, but I just don't get it.