Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

what do you guys think about the development along west gray towards montrose? with post midtown expanding, majorca bistro, hefleys, junction, byzantio, the new Carnegie high school, etc.... do you guys think all this develoment could lead to a walkable strip all the way from gray and babgy to montrose and gray?

Edited by DrLan34

what do you guys think about the development along west gray towards montrose? with post midtown expanding, majorca bistro, hefleys, junction, byzantio, the new Carnegie high school, etc.... do you guys think all this develoment could lead to a walkable strip all the way from gray and babgy to montrose and gray?

We walk down there all the time to eat -- it's cool watching all the new development also....the patio at Majorca is really funky....too bad someone doesn't do some rehab on that yellowish building just east of Taft (in the edge of the new school's property)....it looks like someone started redoing it a while ago but then quit ?

Edited by HoustonMidtown

We walk down there all the time to eat -- it's cool watching all the new development also....the patio at Majorca is really funky....too bad someone doesn't do some rehab on that yellowish building just east of Taft (in the edge of the new school's property)....it looks like someone started redoing it a while ago but then quit ?

the carnegie school is turning that building into their new fine arts center.

Yep -- some of the end units are very close to nice cement walls now....I at least have the pool between my balcony and the cement wall !

this garage is the reason I joined this forum! I saw that and instantly thought "what a PISS POOR deal for those who bought at Edge!". I can't believe that is even legal for them to basically just block out unit's only source of light! I'd be livid over this construction. Are a lot of owners trying to sell?

this garage is the reason I joined this forum! I saw that and instantly thought "what a PISS POOR deal for those who bought at Edge!". I can't believe that is even legal for them to basically just block out unit's only source of light! I'd be livid over this construction. Are a lot of owners trying to sell?

The people who own the units that are right up against the garage have definitely expressed their anger regarding the garage's construction -- it was always a possibility that something like this could be built on the lot -- I knew that when I bought my unit....originally it was going to be another bar, but obviously that fell through...

I don't think any of them are trying to sell at this point...

The builder has met with us (EDGE owners) to discuss how they could "beautify" the cement walls (plantings/vines, paint, etc)...I don't know if there has been any final decisions on that...whatever they do, it won't restore the view

Are a lot of owners trying to sell?

Why would someone sell after it's built? If it's bad, it presumably could impact resale value. It would make more sense to just enjoy the density they moved their for and not take a $ hit on trying to sell it.

The vine idea mentioned above is a cool idea. On the plus side... their units are now hurricane and tornado proof.

Finally made it over to the lot and put a pic of the Magnificat rendering on my new blog: Rendering I actually like the look of it a lot. It would be nice if a multi-story had made it to Elgin... but this looks fairly decent at least.

Construction of the Magnificat building is progressing nicely. Windows are in, exterior cladding is going up.

post-4047-0-53914000-1310694348_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The builder has met with us (EDGE owners) to discuss how they could "beautify" the cement walls (plantings/vines, paint, etc)...I don't know if there has been any final decisions on that...whatever they do, it won't restore the view

Clouds? lol, yeah that would be nice if they could at least give you that much to "make amends".

Anyone know if there are any interested developers for this site at this time?

http://arausa.listinglab.com/WGrayBaileyLandSite/

edit - sorry double post...

Edited by DrLan34

The Cheerz Bar is now Midtown Drinkery. The old Tipsy Clover crew got together with the Drinkery on Washington owner and opened this weekend. They seemed fairly excited. The place is being renovated to have more of an open feel outside. The bar had quite a few St Arnolds choices on draft. Was a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if there are any interested developers for this site at this time?

http://arausa.listin...BaileyLandSite/

saw some land surveryors on the site closest to junction...

-edit-

I just spoke with ARA (they owners of the land), and they said the land is under contract to be developed into apartment complexes. When i asked if there would be retail he said that is always an option. Of course I asked if he could comment on the developer and he said no not at this time...

He also said that things can fall through in this business but it is under contract.

we shall see...

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 1

saw some land surveryors on the site closest to junction...

-edit-

I just spoke with ARA (they owners of the land), and they said the land is under contract to be developed into apartment complexes. When i asked if there would be retail he said that is always an option. Of course I asked if he could comment on the developer and he said no not at this time...

He also said that things can fall through in this business but it is under contract.

we shall see...

What section of land are you referring to? Is it the one that Junction uses for parking (that has the abandoned row houses on the back side)?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

latest presentation from Camden as of August 1, 2011: http://www.snl.com/Cache/1500035021.PDF?D=&O=PDF&IID=103094&Y=&T=&FID=1500035021

Potential 2011/2012 Development Starts

Total Projected Estimated

Project Location Homes Cost

Camden Noma Washington, DC 320 $120

Camden City Centre II Houston, TX 260 36

Camden 5400 North Lamar Austin, TX 291 43

Total 871 $199

• 2 weeks later...

I drove down around Midtown earlier and noticed some work on the North East corner of W Gray and Taft. Does anyone know what could be going in there?

It's a new school...

Some info in this thread: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/24268-vacant-yellow-commercial-building-on-west-gray/

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Not to split hairs, but isn't that more Montrose than Midtown?

Anyway, that is Carnegie Vanguard High School. Big sign near the corner of W. Gray and Taft.

Not to split them further, but it's across the street from Montrose, in the Fourth Ward.