Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

last weekend i accidentally drove through a part of midtown at night, and there were plenty of drunk idiots on foot...(the BMW's must have been valet-parked)  :rolleyes:

I have stumbled wicked-drunk through midtown a couple of nights. It's tempting to over-consume when you can walk home (although it may not be safe...)

P.S. Don't own a BMW, am white

How did this turn into a BMW racing forum :lol:

Yo, SOMETHING needs to be done to bring clubs and crowds back to da Richmond Strip. A LOT of friends in H-Town are pointing out that they don't go clubbing anymore because most of the clubs are now Downtown. They don't feel too safe there.

Whatever happened to cruising down the crowded Strip at 2:30am? It used to be something to brag about at one point.

How did this turn into a BMW racing forum  :lol:

Yo, SOMETHING needs to be done to bring clubs and crowds back to da Richmond Strip. A LOT of friends in H-Town are pointing out that they don't go clubbing anymore because most of the clubs are now Downtown. They don't feel too safe there.

Whatever happened to cruising down the crowded Strip at 2:30am? It used to be something to brag about at one point.

I have always avoided Richmond for the cheesy clubs and especially the cheesy people. Downtown is perfectly safe. Although I prefer Midtown lately for the more chill bars/people and proximity to home. (might be getting old)

I feel safer anywhere but the Richmond strip. Besides the thugs with their chrome-plated guns-it's just about the tackiest, trailer-trash-piece-of-crap-on-a-stick-hell hole in Houston.

But that's just my opinion. :lol:

B)

DJ V, I hate to say it, but you're friends are ignorant. Downtown is the SAFEST district in Houston. Tell them to look up the stats on HPD's website. Richmond, on the other hand, is probably the worst, outside of maybe 5th Ward.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not yet visited this place.  I will make it a point to try it this weekend and report to the forum next week.

To late WestGrayGuy the Deco and now HTown Diner has closed. It's all your fault for not walking over there and spending money. I'm glad you didn't buy the place.

I heard they went under last week. I drove by last night and had a good look. No dumster, power off, landscaping not maintained, etc. Thats a tough location. Poor visibilty, parking, neighborhood density. I feel sorry for the people who lost money.

Here's my idea for the location. Remove everything. A big beautiful Airstream trailer with 24 hour hot dogs and tacos. Plastic Patio Furniture and a few pink flamingoos with WestGrayGuy on the grill.

See you there,

Dream

Midtown is just fine. There are a few reasons for the less packed clubs the past couple of weeks:

(1) Labor Day Weekend (2 weekends ago)

(2) Texas v. Ohio State game last weekend (late game)

(3) College was back in session (I think rush is this week)

(4) More choices for people to go, so the crowd has spread

Last night the crowd was back in Midtown and I expect this weekend to more busy.

To late WestGrayGuy the Deco and now HTown Diner has closed. It's all your fault for not walking over there and spending money. I'm glad you didn't buy the place.

I heard they went under last week. I drove by last night and had a good look. No dumster, power off, landscaping not maintained, etc. Thats a tough location. Poor visibilty, parking, neighborhood density. I feel sorry for the people who lost money.

Here's my idea for the location. Remove everything. A big beautiful Airstream trailer with 24 hour hot dogs and tacos. Plastic Patio Furniture and a few pink flamingoos with WestGrayGuy on the grill.

See you there,

Dream

I would SO eat at that place if they did that...especially with WestGrayGuy on the grill in his greasy wife-beater. :lol:

The H-Town diner has opened...

Has anyone tried it out yet?

I know this is coming in a little late seeing as its being reported that the diner is closed, but..

I went with some co-workers about 2 months ago. It was packed, but I don't think that it was from people coming back for the food - I think its from the same people that had been there for at least an hour and still waiting on their food.

We took a chance (3 of us) and ate there. Our waiter was a sheepish younger fella that seemed unsure how to take a drink order. We finally got drinks after flagging him down and telling him to go get us some drinks.

We knew to order when he came back with the drinks, so we did. 2 burger plates & a club sandwich. I had the club. about 20 minutes later I got my plate. I waited a full 10 minutes before eating, and then only after having to flag down the waiter to ask him where the burgers were. This was our conversation:

Me: Hey, what's the status on those 2 burger plates?

Him: Oh.. umm, they're good.

Me: What? What do you mean good? Did you eat them?

Him: (smiling unsurely) Ummm.. no.

Me: Well, how long - we've been waiting 30 minutes now. And why did you bring my meal 10 minutes ago if the other two weren't ready.

Him: (sheepishly now) Ummm, I don't know. You'd have to ask the chef. (he then points towards the order-up counter)

Me: Ummm. No (mimicking Bill Lumberg - to all you that know ;)) YOU go ask the chef how much longer for those burgers.

Him: ok.

5 minutes later he came out with the burgers. I watched him the whole time and he never spoke with the chef for more than a second through the order-up counter, so I was fairly confident he didn't yell & delicate flower about us and ask the chef to give us any "special sauce".

We were more in shock that he answered my question of the status of the burgers with" Ummm.. they're good." I mean - WTF?? :blink:

Overall - the food was average of maybe a Denny's or IHOP. The service? Sheesh.. No wonder they closed.

Downtown might be the safest residential neighborhood in the city. This could be that all the residential is interior condo units with privately secured parking garages & entrances.

I don't however doubt that its still a dangerous place at night on the street.

(I'm going to HPD.com now to find out..)

EDIT: Good God.. It would take hours to compare data by neighborhood the way they have it setup. Good Luck to some other sucker that wants to sift through that pile of..

Edited by Jeebus

Downtown might be the safest residential neighborhood in the city. This could be that all the residential is interior condo units with privately secured parking garages & entrances.

I don't however doubt that its still a dangerous place at night on the street.

(I'm going to HPD.com now to find out..)

EDIT: Good God.. It would take hours to compare data by neighborhood the way they have it setup. Good Luck to some other sucker that wants to sift through that pile of..

indeed...hpd's crime stats can be...well, you know...

anyhow, i feel safer downtown than on that part of richmond... :unsure:

They don't feel safe in downtown Houston? LOL. It's probably one of the safest downtowns of any major US city.

You have a better chance of getting shot in a drive-by on the "Richmond" strip than be a victim of crime in downtown Houston.

Richmond strip is a piece of shi#.

>>I just don't understand how having only Downtown and Midtown, and not having a Richmond Strip or something similar to it could help our nightlife. And we DESPERATELY need a nightlife to talk about.

The Richmond Strip died along with MC Hammer's career, Z Cavaricci pants, and Q Zoo in the morning. Good riddance!

As far as I'm concerned when the original 6400 burned down there was no reason to visit Richmond. (okay maybe Xcess, saw the Cult and Jane's Addiction there)

Richmond is nothing more than wannabe fans of the Fast and Furious.

speaking of clubs.... does anyone recall where Club Proteus was located at? (also named "lift up your skirts and fly" at one time)

I will admit to being in a less than sober state to recall where we were being driven to!

Richmond strip is a piece of shi#.

How true.....

....How true.

The Richmond Strip is still around there are several large "clubs/bars" that are still on the strip. Fact of the matter is Richmond was a temporary setting for most - it offered access to Suburban Houston, now that its cool to be back downtown - the clubs have left and gone on to more profitable pastures. Im sure the rent is higher but now they dont have to worry about parking lot security and parking in general, not to mention the ability to easilly go from one club to the other (even if its across the street) is much, much easier. Imagine trying to cross Richmond - at night - with a bunch of drunk idiots on the roads. To me its only logical that the club scene would move back downtown.

...But does it have to be?

Is that a trick question??? :)

It is a piece of shi#...a few more clubs in the area will just make it more of a piece of shi#.

But don't get me wrong...I'd rather the "Richmond Strip" type folks hang out on the Richmond Strip, as opposed to them coming to downtown/midtown...

SOOOOO, I say, more clubs on Richmond Strip!!!!!

Is that a trick question??? :)

It is a piece of shi#...a few more clubs in the area will just make it more of a piece of shi#. 

But don't get me wrong...I'd rather the "Richmond Strip" type folks hang out on the Richmond Strip, as opposed to them coming to downtown/midtown...

SOOOOO, I say, more clubs on Richmond Strip!!!!!

If nightlife isn't your thing, try a little daylife, try going to La Strada on westheimer and montrose for brunch. A few posers, but some of the best looking "talent" in the city go there for belinis and a little food. :blink:

Uh...that's because this is 2005 and not 1991....there is a time and a season.....

Or has anyone else noticed the night life scene the past few weeks or so has slowed down just a little bit?  Don't get me wrong I just came in a little while ago from going out (Midtown) and there was a good-looking/good sized crowd out (and I had a really good time) but definitely not as packed everywhere as normal.

At first when the evacuees started to arrive my friends and I thought it may have something to do with it because some people we met when out expressed their concern with potential security issues etc.  Then we thought maybe with the jump in gasoline prices people were staying home or closer to home to conserve fuel.  Far fetched maybe since lots of places in Midtown especially are easily accessible on foot.  But, just a thought. 

Maybe I'm just over analyzing and rambling because I'm still kinda tipsy....... any thoughts?

All Clubs go through ups and downs. Perhaps the clubs you frequent are in a slow down b/c of other factors school just started, the Katrina thing, and maybe the summer is winding down

Yep, I agree. Must have been like Kim. and Eelimon suggested (Labor Day weekend, school starting, rush week, ball games, more bars/clubs to choose from, etc....) at the time I started this thread. I have been out runnin the streets of Midtown like crazy since then and the scene has been sick!!!! I'm so glad!

Where do you think the best places to be or be seen are on any given night of the week? (You don't have to just limit the answers to Midtown.)

DJ V, I hate to say it, but you're friends are ignorant.  Downtown is the SAFEST district in Houston.  Tell them to look up the stats on HPD's website.  Richmond, on the other hand, is probably the worst, outside of maybe 5th Ward.

RedScare is correct, Downtown is the safest.

As for the clubs, these things do go in cycles for the various reasons listed above, I would not worry about any longterm problems. If anything it should get better as the weather cools off.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,

Capt-AWACS, not all pilots are alcoholics, we don't go to meetings

Yep, I agree. Must have been like Kim. and Eelimon suggested (Labor Day weekend, school starting, rush week, ball games, more bars/clubs to choose from, etc....) at the time I started this thread. I have been out runnin the streets of Midtown like crazy since then and the scene has been sick!!!! I'm so glad!

Where do you think the best places to be or be seen are on any given night of the week? (You don't have to just limit the answers to Midtown.)

South Beach it is a gay club but as the Chronicle last Sunday said it is a chill out place to dance. The fun starts on Friday till Sunday show up late you can stay late till about 4 AM some weekend days. I think Friday and Saturday.

Oh and don't forget to pick up 3x5 flyers that announce up coming parties some are held downtown and are very fun people dance until 8 AM

• 2 months later...