Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

So anyway, has anyone tried Piola? I passed by the block today and saw the final store front of that block being worked on, very nice! That little area is quite the walkable neighborhood now.

Yeah, I've been there a couple times. Good pizza. It's more of the type you'd find in Italy vs. the NYC and Chicago styles you see over here. I personally like the American take on pizza better, but Piola is good when you want a different type of pizza.

I signed up on their Facebook page and got 2 tickets to their "VIP First Look Party" on November 10th. Their patio looks awesome and will definitely add more action to the area. I wonder when the place across the street will be complete.

Link

Thanks for the link -- I just signed up also.....November 10 seems like a long ways away for how "finished" the place looks -- guess they will be doing training and stuff for the staff until then.....can't wait to go !

The new parking garage (Scout Square) is now open.....$10 to park

Parking is now $5

Also, Black Finn is doing their soft opening -- we were walking by and the manager was out "recruiting" customers -- free food with lots of warnings about a limited menu, possibility of service issues, etc....they officially open on the 10th

"Subsequent to quarter-end, the Company began construction on two additional wholly-owned development communities: Camden City Centre II in Houston, TX, a $36 million project with 268 apartment homes, and Camden NOMA in Washington, DC, a $110 million project with 320 apartment homes."

http://www.snl.com/irweblinkx/file.aspx?IID=103094&FID=12023689

My sister went as well, how was it? It looked like alot of folks were there when I walked by. I'm gonna go tonight.

There was quite a crowd.....too many people for the amount of chairs/tables later in the evening...but Im sure they planned it that way!

The food (appetizers) was good -- bacon wrapped meatloaf, pork sliders, mediterranean platter, and a bunch others that we never got to....the wait staff was great, very friendly and attentive...

Will definitely go back and try their dinners....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

west side seems to be getting tons of infill in midtown right now...

- Camden City Centre Phase II - 3 Buildings - underconstruction

- Post Midtown Phase III - two lots seperated by a street underconstruction

- Post Midtown Phase IV - construction scheduled to start in summer 2012

- City Place - Phase II - construction fence up

- Carnegie Vanguard HS - Taft and Grey - underconstruction

I know there are more in the pipeline but these are already underconstruction or are close to starting

http://blog.chron.co...mes-architects/

"Architects named for new Midtown arts facility

The architecture firm behind the new Montrose H-E-B, and a local firm that has a long list of performing arts spaces in its portfolio, have been selected to design the new Independent Arts Collaborative, an art space proposed for a parcel in Midtown.

San Antonio-based Lake|Flato and Studio Red Architects of Houston will design the building, which is expected to have 85,000 square feet of exhibit and performance space, along with rehearsal, worship, classroom and office space.

The arts group purchased the property — currently a parking lot at 3400 Main St. — in July for $2.5 million, but has not announced a timetable for development. In June, the collaborative said it had to raise $22 million to build the project.

At that time, Houston City Council approved a $6 million tax reimbursement deal for the property. The city also sold the group the land.

The effort to build the project started in 2004 by arts organizations such as Diverse Works, Main Street Theater and Suchu Dance that were tired of renting. Its founders envision it providing an affordable home for arts and cultural organizations."

Edited by DrLan34

http://blog.chron.co...mes-architects/

"Architects named for new Midtown arts facility

The architecture firm behind the new Montrose H-E-B, and a local firm that has a long list of performing arts spaces in its portfolio, have been selected to design the new Independent Arts Collaborative, an art space proposed for a parcel in Midtown.

San Antonio-based Lake|Flato and Studio Red Architects of Houston will design the building, which is expected to have 85,000 square feet of exhibit and performance space, along with rehearsal, worship, classroom and office space.

The arts group purchased the property — currently a parking lot at 3400 Main St. — in July for $2.5 million, but has not announced a timetable for development. In June, the collaborative said it had to raise $22 million to build the project.

At that time, Houston City Council approved a $6 million tax reimbursement deal for the property. The city also sold the group the land.

The effort to build the project started in 2004 by arts organizations such as Diverse Works, Main Street Theater and Suchu Dance that were tired of renting. Its founders envision it providing an affordable home for arts and cultural organizations."

Really glad to see this is moving forward.

i think they were removing some things from the roof

Yeah, it looked like some big HVAC equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

The Babgy Street Improvements are scheduled to start next week acording to Midtown's facebook page....

"Bagby Street Reconstruction - Reconstruction of Bagby Street from St. Joseph to Tuam including two blocks on Pierce Street from Baldwin to Brazos. The project will include concrete pavement, public utility upgrades (water, storm, sanitary), enhanced intersections, wider sidewalks, landscaping, street furniture, brick pavers, accessibility ramps and other pedestrian-related infrastructure. Upgrades to the storm water system will be made to address regional drainage issues. Project is currently in design; construction scheduled to begin in 1Q2012."

• Like 2

The Babgy Street Improvements are scheduled to start next week acording to Midtown's facebook page....

These are going to be fantastic improvements to Bagby. Midtown held a community meeting last year where they showed a "virtual drive" down Bagby. Some intersections will have "bulb outs" that will make crossing the road on foot easier. There will also be little bridges over the "green sidewalk" parts of it for runoff filtering. I didn't realize it was starting next week. Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...

http://docs.newquest.com/brochures/west-gray.pdf

looks like this will be the next big lot to go but it is sad to see that they are advertising a fast food place for the lots use. Hopefully that does not happen.

Have you heard anything new on this lot? With Post building towards it and the group of old houses on the its edge, it seems like it will only become more valuable.

Edited by Charles Z