Midtown Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

WestGrayGuy

Not to split hairs, but isn't that more Montrose than Midtown?

Anyway, that is Carnegie Vanguard High School. Big sign near the corner of W. Gray and Taft.

Taft is the boundary for Montrose Superneighborhood, so NE corner would be Freedman's Town and Fourth Ward, but neither Montrose SN nor Midtown.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.smartapar...onstruction.pdf - pretty good report on whats under construciton, proposed, and cancelled.

I listed a few below that I am particularly interested in... This is not all about Midtown.

"Saturday, September 17, 2011

POST MIDTOWN SQUARE PHASE III - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

WASHINGTON & SAWYER - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ASHTON RICE VILLAGE - UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SONOMA WEST UNIVERSITY SITE - PROPOSED

MID TOWN SITE - PROPOSED

POST RICHMOND LANDING - PROPOSED

TEXACO BUILDING - PROPOSED

CAMDEN CITY CENTRE PHASE II - PROPOSED (263 Units)

BROADSTONE MIDTOWN - PROPOSED

WEST GRAY & WAUGH - PROPOSED

GRAYBELLE - PROPOSED

WEST DALLAS & WAUGH - PROPOSED (MIXED USE - 445 Units) (Finger Co)

REGENT SQUARE PHASE I & II - PROPOSED (635 Units)

MIDTOWN GROVE - PRE LEASING"

Edited by DrLan34

Admittedly veering away from Midtown for a minute, but: wait. what? Mixed use at Dallas and Waugh? That would be fantastic, particularly with the apartments replacing the Tavern, but where? The pad sites at the NW and SE corners aren't that old, but I'd love to see them gone...

Also, on second thought, I might have to argue that that sort of is Midtown. It's not *exactly* Montrose. It's not River Oaks. It's obviously not Washington. What exactly is it?

?

Admittedly veering away from Midtown for a minute, but: wait. what? Mixed use at Dallas and Waugh? That would be fantastic, particularly with the apartments replacing the Tavern, but where? The pad sites at the NW and SE corners aren't that old, but I'd love to see them gone...

Also, on second thought, I might have to argue that that sort of is Midtown. It's not *exactly* Montrose. It's not River Oaks. It's obviously not Washington. What exactly is it?

?

?

?

It is exactly Montrose.

Midtown is bordered by the Pierce Elevated on the north, 59 on the south, 59/288 on the east and Bagby on the west.

Genesse St. is usually considered the east-west boundary bwtween Montrose and Midtown.

However the area around W. Gray and Bagby St. and further west and north is 4th Ward. West beyond Genesse St., along W. Gray this area really has no name except maybe "Neartown," a catchall real estate term.

Midtown is generally know to be south of the Pierce Elevated, east of Bagby St./Spur 523, west of the 59/288 interchange, and North of the elevated 59S (anything south of there is usually called the "Flower District" or the Museum District).

The only update I've noticed in the hood is that the bldg across from Isabella Ct's (across Isabella St.) was demo'd about a month ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello HAIF - I've been following this board since I moved to Houston in March from Dallas. So naturally I have lots of interesting perspectives to add. From Chicago - lived in Charlotte (Downtown/Uptown) - Dallas (Uptown) now Houston (Midtown).

Very excited for The Scout Square/Blackfinn developement - Blackfinn was one of my favorite bars in Charlotte located in the Epicenter.

http://epicentrenc.com

Check out what Charlotte has in the Epicenter- Pavillions downtown or Citicenter would be the only thing close - check out the Epicenter though it has everything - Wish Houston / economy would support something similar. The main difference in Epicenter vs Pavillions is - it has full retail/restaurants/has that cool factor - movie theater Aloft Hotel.

For now Scout Square is definitely a step in the right direction for Midtown.

We love Midtown in general although certain aspects can be very frustrating i.e. eating at Farrago's and being harassed 3-5 times while eating outside by the same / different homeless people. Not to go off topic - but I for one as a frequent patron of Farrago's and all the bars and restaurants in the area was extremely excited to see the barriers up and now might be able to enjoy a meal without being hit up for money while trying to eat my meal. The staff can't do anything because the Police won't do anything.

Glad to be on the forum finally.

Lorenzo

Hello guys and gals.

Dont know if I mentioned before, but I too live in the "hood", in the Ventana. I LOVE all the construction in midtown/montrose/4th ward/ river oaks/ upper kirby/galleria. This area is becoming more and more dense by the day, definitely a step in the right direction. I like too imagine every day I drive through the area, what it would/could look like in the next 5/10/15/20 years and the way it looks like its going, these areas (central houston, including EaDo, Downtown, midtown, and the aforementioned areas) could almost entirely be high rises after many years of this same type of growth (barring neighborhoods like river oaks and the like where the single family homes will probably never be torn down for a high rise). Even still, that prospect is very possible and has me salivating at the mouth to dream of one day seeing my city so dense.

/happy rant

So anyway, has anyone tried Piola? I passed by the block today and saw the final store front of that block being worked on, very nice! That little area is quite the walkable neighborhood now.