CNN to Al Qaeda: Next Time Don't Send an Amateur.

AtticaFlinch

Is PETN traceable by bomb sniffing dogs?

Why havent we and others made a huge investment in the use of bomb sniffing dogs, like yesteryear.

I know I'd think twice about smuggling PETN in my tightie whities if I knew a bomb sniffing dog would be canvassing up every aisle of every flight before takeoff.

Is PETN traceable by bomb sniffing dogs?

Why havent we and others made a huge investment in the use of bomb sniffing dogs, like yesteryear.

I know I'd think twice about smuggling PETN in my tightie whities if I knew a bomb sniffing dog would be canvassing up every aisle of every flight before takeoff.

Dogs are trained for specific smells of certain chemicals that are key ingredients for their specialty.

I'm not familiar enough with the explosive to know if it CAN be detectable with a sniffer dog, if it is, it's an additional thing a dog will have to be trained for. The only thing is that it makes a stronger case for those body Xray machines.

With the most obvious red flags, our government still could not stop this guy? I can't wait until they are in control of my health care.

Umm....keep it on topic?

As far as the CNN topic, I was outraged at first, but I think they probably would help the security forces.

Umm....keep it on topic?

Dude! WTH.. You're not a mod.

A ) Lockmat's side comment highlights the ineptitude of our gvt and their ability to do anything big. It's not like 10 other people took the healthcare side comment and ran with it. You jumped the gun and I find that way more offensive than the original comment.

B ) You're not a mod...Next time, instead of policing users, just press the "Report" button.

A ) Lockmat's side comment highlights the ineptitude of our gvt and their ability to do anything big. It's not like 10 other people took the healthcare side comment and ran with it. You jumped the gun and I find that way more offensive than the original comment.

B ) You're not a mod...Next time, instead of policing users, just press the "Report" button.

Are you a mod ? Seems you're doing the same thing

Right back at you. :)

I think our mods, and even editor, do a good job of only exerting their authority when needed. For the most part, they all just act like normal users.

So it really really irks me when we have normal users playing cop.

Don't compare what we did as equal. It is not the same thing.

I have no interest in reporting you as what you did probably isn't against any rules. I was calling you out for acting like an jackass. You chose to go Public with playing cop, instead of pressing the report button... I was giving you a dose of your own medicine. My goal was to highlight your jackassedness to you in hope you won't do it again. I'll assume I am successful.

Me calling out jackassbehavior. You telling another user how to use HAIF. Not the same thing.

By the way.. this is the post where you'll probably wanna press the report button for me using the word jackass.

Dogs are trained for specific smells of certain chemicals that are key ingredients for their specialty.

I'm not familiar enough with the explosive to know if it CAN be detectable with a sniffer dog, if it is, it's an additional thing a dog will have to be trained for. The only thing is that it makes a stronger case for those body Xray machines.

I have a buddy who used to work for the TSA, and he told me about these little handheld machines available that could detect any number of substances to the particle millionth. They are far more effective than dogs, but so far nobody has them. If the TSA had them, and had this been a domestic flight (which it was not - so blaming our government is moot), this clown would certainly have been picked up before getting on the plane. Unfortunately, the TSA is overextended as is, and they're strapped for cash. There's no way they could afford to equip every airport in the US with even one of these machines, let alone airports overseas. There's a certain vocal contingent (not naming names) who get their panties in a wad every time the government tries to spend any of their tax dollars. I can imagine the objections now:

"They make me take off my shoes, those idiots. How can those idiots be trusted with more of my tax dollars?!"

-or-

"Why should we spend money so other countries' airports are secure? Unless we're talkin' about Iraq or Alqaedastan, it's time for us to stop bein' the world's police force."

-or-

"With the most obvious red flags, our government still could not stop this guy? I can't wait until they are in control of my health care."

I have a buddy who used to work for the TSA, and he told me about these little handheld machines available that could detect any number of substances to the particle millionth. They are far more effective than dogs, but so far nobody has them.

I worked for a defense subcontractor awhile back and saw a device similar. I'm not familiar with the technology behind the device you are mentioning... but the devices I got to play with were more designed for detecting airborne biological attacks. That said, I don't think they would be able to easily detect a sugar type substance packaged away in someone's pants.

Umm....keep it on topic?

The Healthcare bit was just to pile on. My main point is that the red flags were numerous and obvious and our government showed seriously inadequacy. It directly relates to the topic.

He was on the watch list

His dad sounded the alarm on him

He bought a one-way ticket

He paid cash for his ticket

Do they need him to wear a name-tag that says "Terrorist" on his chest?

Think of all the technology in this world and how the private sector utilizes it. The govt is very much behind and is not on track to keep us very safe, so it seems. I will be flying this weekend and am not worried (only b/c the numbers are in my favor that I won't be on a plane blown up), but this event should not make us feel very safe in general.

I have a buddy who used to work for the TSA, and he told me about these little handheld machines available that could detect any number of substances to the particle millionth. They are far more effective than dogs, but so far nobody has them. If the TSA had them, and had this been a domestic flight (which it was not - so blaming our government is moot), this clown would certainly have been picked up before getting on the plane. Unfortunately, the TSA is overextended as is, and they're strapped for cash. There's no way they could afford to equip every airport in the US with even one of these machines, let alone airports overseas. There's a certain vocal contingent (not naming names) who get their panties in a wad every time the government tries to spend any of their tax dollars. I can imagine the objections now:

By no means am I a security expert. Maybe some can help out.

This watch list. Is it just the USAs or is it an inernational list?

What things are in place for international flights for govts/airlines to know who is on their plane before they board? I would find it hard to believe that nobody knows who is really getting on their planes. The airlines have just as much at stake for their company and employees safety not to know. Don't people have to show their passports?

I would also be surprised to learn that the US govt does not have the capability to know who is flying into our country. If that's the case, we're doomed.

The Healthcare bit was just to pile on. My main point is that the red flags were numerous and obvious and our government showed seriously inadequacy. It directly relates to the topic.

He was on the watch list

His dad sounded the alarm on him

He bought a one-way ticket

He paid cash for his ticket

Do they need him to wear a name-tag that says "Terrorist" on his chest?

Think of all the technology in this world and how the private sector utilizes it. The govt is very much behind and is not on track to keep us very safe, so it seems. I will be flying this weekend and am not worried (only b/c the numbers are in my favor that I won't be on a plane blown up), but this event should not make us feel very safe in general.

Dollars to donuts, this was a test of the system and not a real attempt. All this talk of heightened security, and there are still gaping holes in the system. Despite this, the one hugely positive takeaway from this is now Al Qaeda is aware of just how seriously the other passengers will take any threat on a plane. Gone are the day when passengers feel relatively safe in a hijacked plane. Now they know their life is going to end if they don't stop the terrorist on their own. This kid didn't succeed because other passengers beat the crap out of him when they realized what he was doing. And good for them for doing so. A difficult to ignite explosive won't ever be quicker and more effective than ten fists.

What things are in place for international flights for govts/airlines to know who is on their plane before they board? I would find it hard to believe that nobody knows who is really getting on their planes. The airlines have just as much at stake for their company and employees safety not to know. Don't people have to show their passports?

I would also be surprised to learn that the US govt does not have the capability to know who is flying into our country. If that's the case, we're doomed.

He was on Britain's watch list which is how he made it on to our watch list. The difference is, Britain's watch list is also their no-fly list. We have two separate lists. Had he been on our no-fly list too, he'd have been turned away at the airport when he showed his passport.

So you know, we communicate well with Britain. Their watch list is available to us and vice-versa. Many other countries have lists of varying sorts that we either have limited or no access to. There is no international list. So, yes, we're doomed, but it doesn't matter much anyhow. All it takes is a fake passport and a non-infamous face to circumvent any list of any kind.

Dollars to donuts, this was a test of the system and not a real attempt. All this talk of heightened security, and there are still gaping holes in the system. Despite this, the one hugely positive takeaway from this is now Al Qaeda is aware of just how seriously the other passengers will take any threat on a plane. Gone are the day when passengers feel relatively safe in a hijacked plane. Now they know their life is going to end if they don't stop the terrorist on their own. This kid didn't succeed because other passengers beat the crap out of him when they realized what he was doing. And good for them for doing so. A difficult to ignite explosive won't ever be quicker and more effective than ten fists.

Hopefully they don't start thinking above the level of a 1st grader and detinate it in the bathroom where nobody can see them.

He was on Britain's watch list which is how he made it on to our watch list. The difference is, Britain's watch list is also their no-fly list. We have two separate lists. Had he been on our no-fly list too, he'd have been turned away at the airport when he showed his passport.

So you know, we communicate well with Britain. (Tongue-in-cheek???) Their watch list is available to us and vice-versa. Many other countries have lists of varying sorts that we either have limited or no access to. There is no international list. So, yes, we're doomed, but it doesn't matter much anyhow. All it takes is a fake passport and a non-infamous face to circumvent any list of any kind.

The government is entirely capable of controlling entry via plane travel. It would involve, among other things, profiling, severe travel restrictions, and other tactics usually associated with police states. The question is, how far are we willing to go? And how much are we willing to spend on that level of security expertise in sufficient numbers? Don't discount the political influence of the airlines and associated businesses, who are in it to make a profit, not defend the borders of the US. I'm too cynical, but IMO when it comes to politics, money talks and a few hundred dead on a blown-up plane will never trump the pursuit of profits.

Regarding security--the Israelis are not just experts in tactics but considered innovators in security technology, and their lobby in Washington is quite powerful. I expect we'll be hearing much more about profiling. At the risk of being indelicate, if you want to disarm and marginalize a Muslim threat --which is what this is all really about--they pretty much wrote the book.

Policies and technology are only as good as the people paid to implement them, and $10 an hour employees aside, TSA policies are reactionary and useless--the result of beauracrats scrambling to come up with 'solutions' after they get their asses chewed following an incident.

..... or start thinking above the level of a first grader and book seats in the back row where they are less visible as they light their fuse.

..... or start thinking above the level of a first grader and have 1-2 additional strongmen hold off the heroes for just long enough.

Relying on the other passengers to take care of business once they successfully sneak a bomb on board is a failing strategy.

We need the scanners. We need common sense to get back in the driver's seat.

The no-fly list is reserved for those who are thought to pose a threat to airplanes. Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the man charged with the would-be Christmas Day bombing, was on the watch list because his own father had warned American officials about his son’s increasing radicalism. But an Obama administration official said “there was insufficient derogatory information available” to merit Mr. Abdulmutallab’s inclusion on the
(no-fly)
list.
-

The government is entirely capable of controlling entry via plane travel. It would involve, among other things, profiling, severe travel restrictions, and other tactics usually associated with police states.

We willingly walk through metal detectors now. It would only involve money to have the additional full body scanner in every terminal security checkpoint right behind each metal detector. It's not profiling if everyone is subjected to it.

And the civil rights squeamishness aside... ( I don't see how a muted snapshot on a screen for 5-10 seconds seen by a person in another room that cant see me, would be more violating than if I were isolated for a pat down or strip search )... People would get accustomed to it quickly enough.

I'm sure people complained about metal detectors back in the day as well.

The government is entirely capable of controlling entry via plane travel. It would involve, among other things, profiling, severe travel restrictions, and other tactics usually associated with police states. The question is, how far are we willing to go? And how much are we willing to spend on that level of security expertise in sufficient numbers? Don't discount the political influence of the airlines and associated businesses, who are in it to make a profit, not defend the borders of the US. I'm too cynical, but IMO when it comes to politics, money talks and a few hundred dead on a blown-up plane will never trump the pursuit of profits.

Regarding security--the Israelis are not just experts in tactics but considered innovators in security technology, and their lobby in Washington is quite powerful. I expect we'll be hearing much more about profiling. At the risk of being indelicate, if you want to disarm and marginalize a Muslim threat --which is what this is all really about--they pretty much wrote the book.

Policies and technology are only as good as the people paid to implement them, and $10 an hour employees aside, TSA policies are reactionary and useless--the result of beauracrats scrambling to come up with 'solutions' after they get their asses chewed following an incident.

Hi Crunch,

Thanks for the input.

Maybe it would be helpful if we just discussed the ideal situation, like the one we have (man on watch list) and not so much on an unknown person. I'm not sure of the likelihood of an unknown person (someone not on a list) committing a terrorist act. The least we could do is do a better job at protecting ourselves from the people we know are a threat. I won't belabour the point and restate the red flags that were there in this case. And I hope I'm not being presumptious to believe it would have been easy to keep this particular guy off the plane. I also know it's simple for a mistake, even an obvious one, to happen at least one time, so I don't want to beat up the responsible party up too bad.

But let's take the passport for example.

Is it really THAT easy for someone to get a fake passport or to trick the passport system? What happened when they scanned his passport and his information showed up on the screen? I wonder what the protocol is when a person on the list is shown to be at the airport?

I think if we just pay Google, they could probably create a system that's impenetrable.

I really am not trying to be naive. These are simple questions and I'm sure they have more complicated answers than I expect, I hope. I understand money vs. govt. vs. business etc. Even with those restrictions, I'm just surprised it is so hard to keep someone who's on the list, off the plane.

I'm sure we all have had numerous ridiculous items confiscated in the name of "security." My personal favorites were a pair of round-tipped grooming scissors with blades shorter than 3/4 an inch and a small bottle of Guatemalan hot sauce. I suppose I could have slowly sprinkled some hot sauce in the pilot's eyes while trimming his sideburns, but aside from that, I have no idea how I could have brought down an entire plane. A couple years before the hot sauce seizure, but still after 9/11, I brought a bottle of Madeira in from Portugal without anyone so much as raising an eyebrow. I guess the terror level had been elevated in the interim or something, but I still have no idea how a bottle of flammable liquid could ever be perceived as safer than a bottle of liquid that only makes you feel like you're on fire.

And the civil rights squeamishness aside... ( I don't see how a muted snapshot on a screen for 5-10 seconds seen by a person in another room that cant see me, would be more violating than if I were isolated for a pat down or strip search )... People would get accustomed to it quickly enough.

I'm sure people complained about metal detectors back in the day as well.

I really, really dislike the implications of this on future applications. It's like the NRA argues and like the old saying says, "Give 'em an inch, and they'll take a mile."

Even with those restrictions, I'm just surprised it is so hard to keep someone who's on the list, off the plane.

Idea...what if we treated people on the no-fly list like we do pedifiles? When someone on the list enters through security into the terminal, people on that flight should be notified that someone on the list is flying on their plane.

A couple things I'm not sure about...

1. How sure are we of these people on the list? Can we take it to the bank that they're a true threat? If we're affraid to offend someone who truly is not a threat, can the govt. notify them that they're on it so they have an opportunity to defend themselves and get their names off? Or do we want to get them in the act and say, "ah-hah, we got you!"? If they are a true threat, hopefully they'll just try and find someone else to do the job or at least deter them. Maybe the terrorist-camps don't have mailable addresses? ;)

2. This would probably cause panic in the airport. However, why would we be letting someone on the no-fly list to fly in the first place? I guess we truly are willing to take that chance over offending someone. After-all, this guy was on the no-fly list, yet allowed anyway? Hmmm, maybe they should call it something different.

The govt. should come out with more details, unless of course it's confidential for some reason.

I'm sure we all have had numerous ridiculous items confiscated in the name of "security."

I would say the best way to avoid confiscation of questionable items should just check their baggage. Airlines should just tell their passengers, "If you're not sure, check it."

After-all, this guy was on the no-fly list, yet allowed anyway? Hmmm, maybe they should call it something different.

Again, being on the watch list doesn't automatically guarantee inclusion on the no-fly list in this country. May be silly, but we have that whole not-trying-to-look-like-a-totalitarian-state thing going on.

I would say the best way to avoid confiscation of questionable items should just check their baggage. Airlines should just tell their passengers, "If you're not sure, check it."

Yeah, I'm pretty much to the point where I don't carry anything on except for a book. It's too much of a hassle these days. I pack light so I'm not ever required to pay for extra luggage.

Geezus... I'm never being an asshat to another HAIFer ever again....... ( Okay, Not true.. but still. Freaky. )

http://www.cnn.com/2...line/index.html

"The poster writes about being in boarding school, with possibilities of attending Stanford University or the University of California-Berkeley."

That would have been a great place for a religious fundamentalist!

Edit: Anybody else a little dismayed the story about Charlie Sheen's wife is more popular than this story?

Again, being on the watch list doesn't automatically guarantee inclusion on the no-fly list in this country. May be silly, but we have that whole not-trying-to-look-like-a-totalitarian-state thing going on.

So let them know they're on it, giving them a chance to clear their name. If they don't, let all the passengers know. Avoiding embarrassment is up to them.

At the very least, notify the pilots, flight attendents ect (if they don't already) so to keep a close eye on them.

So let them know they're on it, giving them a chance to clear their name. If they don't, let all the passengers know. Avoiding embarrassment is up to them.

At the very least, notify the pilots, flight attendents ect (if they don't already) so to keep a close eye on them.

I say they just make sure either Harrison Ford, Wesley Snipes or Samuel L Jackson is on every flight.

Well, we know there are a lot of stinkin names on the last, although I'm still not convinced it's difficult to filter it once the person enters the airport.

After the warning, Mr. Abdulmutallab was placed on a broad terrorist watch list with several hundred thousand names but not on the no-fly list.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126212276274109385.html?mod=rss_whats_news_us

Archived