Jenni's Noodle House At 602 E. 20th St.

Jessica N

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are making design decisions now in the planning process for this restaurant opening. We have some choices in how we are going to set this restaurant up and how the customer will experince JNH. I'd like some feedback. Look for us to open this summer in June. Thanks, Dream

Booths or tables and chairs?

Counter service or full service?

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm?

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am?

How many high chairs will I need 4, 6, or 8?

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike?

How many bikes should the bike rack hold?

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area?

Coke or pepsi?

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? Y or N

Thanks so much for posting this. It's really great to be able to participate in the decision making process!

Can you do both? If you can only do one, tables and chairs. You can't move booths to create large tables and I really don't like big booths that accommodate more than 4 ppl b/c if the middle person needs to get out, it's a pain.

Full service! After a long day at work, my husband doesn't want to wait on himself. All day taking care of 2 kids, I don't always want to wait on myself. I often eat out alone with the kids on nights my husband has work functions or is traveling and counter service is very difficult juggling a baby and a toddler. Also, a girls night out group (of my friends) will always pick a place with full service. We want to sit and talk and drink, not get up and fill our own beverages or go to the counter for dessert.

In my opinion, if you close the kitchen at 9, that should be enough. Glasswall closes at 9 during the week and at 10 on the weekends. This neighborhood gets sleepy. The partiers are all headed to Washington at that time anyway :)

11. Before we had kids, we often didn't eat breakfast on the weekends and would eat brunch around 11. Now with kids (and sorry, i'm not trying to make it all about families but that is my perspective and there are a LOT of families in this neighborhood), they have to have food in front of them by noon so we try to be seated somewhere by 11:30.

6. Lola had 3 or 4 and had to buy more. At Dry Creek, they have more like 8 and they all get used.

Heck yeah! We ride or walk out to eat every weekend (weather permitting). It's a big part of why we live in the Heights!

Oh, geesh. I would say 4-6. That's a couple of families or one small group of friends.

Great question! In the back. One of the reasons Berryhill is packed to the gills with families (and not teat-totaler families, either) is because we can eat in the same area where our kids play. i know (lawd do i know) that some people hate all the kids at BH on the weekends, but if all those families weren't there, the place would be dead. anyway, if you're going to have a grassy play area, it sounds like you are going to welcome/embrace kids so, let the parents sit and have a meal and a beer while their kids play. this will drive a lot of people to your location. i swear!

Coke or pepsi?

coke

People can't bring their dogs to eat and 20th isn't a place where people usually walk their animals because of the traffic. still, everyone loves a little pet perk!

Booths or tables and chairs? I would lean toward tables because they can be more easily re-arranged for larger groups. When you do go to Pie in the Sky (as mentioned in your other post) check out their set up with the benches running down the side. I think it works well.

Counter service or full service?Either way. However I would want the ability to easily run in and pick up some dream rolls to-go, the way I do at your Shepherd location.

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? 9 is fine.

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am? After church lady's simple carbs on Sunday morning, I'm looking for more substantial by late morning. 11.

How many high chairs will I need 4, 6, or 8? A system of adjustable tethers suspended from the ceiling rafters. It's novel. It takes up less room. It provides an easy way for the parents to lift the child away from the table when the kid starts acting up. biggrin.gif (Ah..yeah..I have no opinion on this).

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? Yes. They'll drive, too. It's still Houston.

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? 6 should be plenty.

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? If workable, I would do some of both. Some people like the serene outdoors, and others like the bustle of traffic, people coming and going, etc. Also, some might want the sun of the south-facing back, while others would prefer the shaded north side.

Coke or pepsi? Coke.

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? Y or N Sure...or rolls with Beggin' strips.

Looking forward to your arrival.

We are beyond happy that y'all are coming to the neighborhood. Art Car Curry in walking distance!! My kid could live on the dumplings.

Booths or tables and chairs? --- both. we like the arrangement of the Post Oak location, many different options there.

Counter service or full service? --- either is fine

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? --- no opinion, don't forget that a lot of families like to eat a bit early, on the way home from whatever ~6ish

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? --- yes!

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? --- multiple guests at once, maybe 5 bikes, just a guess

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? --- where ever works, but nobody likes to feel like they are eating in a parking lot, plants and fences help with this.

Coke or pepsi? --- coke!

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? Y or N --- no

Your questions were cross-posted to a big neighborhood parents' list. Is there an email address where people can send answers if they are not reg on haif?

We are making design decisions now in the planning process for this restaurant opening. We have some choices in how we are going to set this restaurant up and how the customer will experince JNH. I'd like some feedback. Look for us to open this summer in June. Thanks, Dream

Booths or tables and chairs? Both

Counter service or full service? Full

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? 9

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am? 11am

How many high chairs will I need 4, 6, or 8? 8

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? As previsous poster said, "heck ya!"

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? 4

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? Back with play area. please make as safe, and as difficult to escape as possible.

Coke or pepsi? coke

We are super excited. Need it to be as family friendly as possible!

Coke or pepsi?

Booths or tables and chairs? Both if possible

Counter service or full service? Full

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? 10

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am? 11

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? A combo of walk, bike or car at different times

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? Back

Coke or pepsi? Ginger ale?

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? Y or N Y

I am excited. We need more asian restaurants in zip code 77008/77007

Booths or tables and chairs? Both if possible

Counter service or full service? Counter Service, Usually wait staff will doom a restaurant success if they are not properly trained

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? 10pm

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am? noon

How many high chairs will I need 4, 6, or 8? 4

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? A combo of walk, bike or car at different times

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? 6

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? Back

Coke or pepsi? Dr. Pepper

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? No

I personallly don't like dogs at the restaurant entrance. Back is best.

Booths or tables and chairs? Both!

Counter service or full service? I'm good with either of these, just don't do some hybrid where you order at the counter and then still have a server. Annoying.

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? Past my kids' bedtime, so either way.

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am? 11

How many high chairs will I need 4, 6, or 8? 6

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? Yes. And we might have kid trailers attached, so is it possible to have a place for bikes/trailers that is in view from where we eat? If not no big deal.

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? 5+

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? 1 row of tables out front and room in the back to play? Front tables are good to lure customers with activity.

Coke or pepsi? Coke. And root beer.

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? N

We are beyond happy that y'all are coming to the neighborhood. Art Car Curry in walking distance!! My kid could live on the dumplings.

Booths or tables and chairs? --- both. we like the arrangement of the Post Oak location, many different options there.

Counter service or full service? --- either is fine

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? --- no opinion, don't forget that a lot of families like to eat a bit early, on the way home from whatever ~6ish

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? --- yes!

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? --- multiple guests at once, maybe 5 bikes, just a guess

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? --- where ever works, but nobody likes to feel like they are eating in a parking lot, plants and fences help with this.

Coke or pepsi? --- coke!

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? Y or N --- no

Your questions were cross-posted to a big neighborhood parents' list. Is there an email address where people can send answers if they are not reg on haif?

scott@noodlesrule.com

Dogs are still prohibited on restaurant patios in Houston.

A ridiculous regulation, and one that will hopefully go the way of the dinosaur eventually. I believe Michael Berry tried unsuccessfully to get rid of it when he was on Council.

Booths or tables and chairs? Tables and chairs.

Counter service or full service? Counter (like the Shepherd location)

Should we close at 10pm or 9pm? 10pm!

What time should we open on Sunday noon or 11am? don't care

How many high chairs will I need 4, 6, or 8? none

Will the neighborhood walk or ride their bike? bike

How many bikes should the bike rack hold? no idea...but plenty.

Patio out front under the awning or in the back with a big grassy play area? Depends on setup, but the back area is likely preferable

Coke or pepsi? Neither for me. Limeade.

Access to water for dogs outside and free dog bones? Y or N n/a

A ridiculous regulation, and one that will hopefully go the way of the dinosaur eventually. I believe Michael Berry tried unsuccessfully to get rid of it when he was on Council.

The regulation seems overbearing. But regardless, keep in mind that some people may prefer not to eat next to dogs.

I really hope not. I'd rather deal with smoking than animals at a restaurant.

I always bring my llama, Challenger with me everywhere. Keeps me a step above the Jones's. I hope you're going to have an area & treats for him. If you don't I'll have to call Michael Berry! Lol!!

Note: Challenger's really great with children!

Seriously, I like the suggestions put forward by others, and I'm not picky. I would give some serious thought to the standards of your waitstaff. Other area eateries are plagued by bad/slow service ( Which in essence, isn't service ).

I would like to chime in on one of your posed questions: "Coke, or Pepsi"? : Neither, I would suggest a quality old vine red Zin ( I don't do softdrinks, water, tea, etc. as they are unhealthy, and contribute to a number of little-known diseases, and conditions. I know, because I listen to infomercials, and talk radio! )

Thank you for opportunity to offer ideas, and good luck!

The regulation seems overbearing. But regardless, keep in mind that some people may prefer not to eat next to dogs.

Then those people should prefer different restaurants or eat inside. Some people prefer not to eat pizza, so they don't go to Pink's.

Coke or pepsi?

Even though I rarely consume soft drinks, Coke is by far the better choice to have. I recommend having a few fresh brewed flavored iced teas for folks. Not that sweetened bottled stuff, but similar to the stuff you get at Carter + Cooley. And fresh lemonade.

Then those people should prefer different restaurants or eat inside. Some people prefer not to eat pizza, so they don't go to Pink's.

Nice. Maybe a little common sense is in order though. Pet owners just need to display some courtesy and keep their dog at home if untrained or rambunctious. Taking your pet to a place of business is a privilege, and it shouldn't override the rights of paying customers to enjoy their experience.

Archived