Dallas Cowboys Stadium

You know he would much rather just call it "Jerry Jones Stadium."

Yea, but that's not how he rolls. He'll want to try again to take the "America's Team" title away from the U.S. Soccer team and put it on his stadium...UNLESS that stadium becomes the permanant home of the U.S. team, and it becomes the United States National Stadium.

Why not? He's already talked about wanting to host the Olympics and/or World Cup Finals there. No easier way to pull that off than to have the national stadium...

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

NFL Teams See Pay Dirt

In Modern Stadium Designs

By THADDEUS HERRICK and ALEX FRANGOS

January 3, 2007

At first glance, the Dallas Cowboys' new $1 billion stadium simply reinforces the stereotype that everything is bigger in Texas.

At 2.3 million square feet and capable of seating 100,000, the retractable-roof stadium will be the among the biggest sports venues in the U.S. when it opens in two years, with the largest capacity in the National Football League. The two steel arches that support the roof, a quarter mile each, will be the longest of their kind in the world.

The futuristic look also is an attempt to reflect the Cowboys brand, which Mr. Jones says is about "glitz and glamour," rather than "checkered tablecloth".

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07003/750960-66.stm

I am glad that this facility is being developed on Arlington's tab ($325 Million). Dallas city/county can now find other uses for that kind of money.

As nice as it would be to have such new development in Dallas, I don't think this project would provide a good enough return on investment. (I know, sounds a little like sour grapes, but I think it is true)

Football stadiums are only used a few times a year, and usually don't provide the surrounding development originally promised - as opposed to baseball stadiums and basketball arenas that generally have more scheduled events. Houston did it right by putting Minute Maid Field and Toyota Center downtown, while leaving Reliant Stadium in a more remote location.

Also, I think that this type new stadium in Fair Park would have ruined the character of the park. Such a behemoth stadium would have overshadowed all of its historically significant neighbors, and would very possibly be abandoned in 20-30 years for newer digs like most other facilities.

In the end, I believe that Dallas benefits overall because visitors to any flagship event will stay in Dallas' luxury hotels, enjoy the Dallas nightlife, and make the trip to and from Arlington for the primary event. I do actually think this is good for Arlington as well. This stadium joins the Ballpark and Six Flags in adding critical mass to the "entertainment district". Now if only Arlington would provide transit to these areas...

I am glad that this facility is being developed on Arlington's tab ($325 Million). Dallas city/county can now find other uses for that kind of money.

As nice as it would be to have such new development in Dallas, I don't think this project would provide a good enough return on investment. (I know, sounds a little like sour grapes, but I think it is true)

Football stadiums are only used a few times a year, and usually don't provide the surrounding development originally promised - as opposed to baseball stadiums and basketball arenas that generally have more scheduled events. Houston did it right by putting Minute Maid Field and Toyota Center downtown, while leaving Reliant Stadium in a more remote location.

Also, I think that this type new stadium in Fair Park would have ruined the character of the park. Such a behemoth stadium would have overshadowed all of its historically significant neighbors, and would very possibly be abandoned in 20-30 years for newer digs like most other facilities.

In the end, I believe that Dallas benefits overall because visitors to any flagship event will stay in Dallas' luxury hotels, enjoy the Dallas nightlife, and make the trip to and from Arlington for the primary event. I do actually think this is good for Arlington as well. This stadium joins the Ballpark and Six Flags in adding critical mass to the "entertainment district". Now if only Arlington would provide transit to these areas...

If they changed their name to the Arlington Cowboys, do you think people in Dallas would still support the team? The fact that Arlington was willing to pay for a stadium for a team that's not even theirs sounds like a joke.

If they changed their name to the Arlington Cowboys, do you think people in Dallas would still support the team? The fact that Arlington was willing to pay for a stadium for a team that's not even theirs sounds like a joke.

Many other teams in other metros around the country that is in the NFL has stadiums not in the primary region's city. Like the Jets, Giants, Dolphins, Redskins. I'm sure I'm missing other teams.

Jerry Jones already answered that the team would never change names and that the franchise is the Dallas Cowboys. I think Arlington would be crazy not to buy at least part of the naming rights. Otherwise, just like games at Texas Stadium, they will say "down in Dallas"

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a bad deal. The Mets and Nets both have 20-year, $400 Million leases for their new stadiums. My team, the Texans, are part of the biggest naming rights contract ever of it's time.

Not, the Cowboys' best deal would be a $300 Million over 30 years? $10 Million a year? When a baseball and basketball team both have $20 Million a year for 20 years? Isn't Jones' stadium a $1 Billion dollar facility? But it won't even have the biggest naming rights contract in the state much less the country?

What's the point?

You can't compare the deals just straight up like that. Depends on how the name will be used in and out of the facility. Wouldn't be surprised to see GM on the name

Not sure how else to look at it. I can't remember the last time I've heard of an American sports stadium built within the past 20 years sell it's naming rights for less than 50% what was spent to build the stadium (correct me if I'm wrong there. I just can't recall it happening). This stadium cost $1 Billion. I thought the naming rights contract would have been higher than the Texans' naming rights contract for their complex.

Granted, we have a couple big-name buildings involved with Reliant Park, but I was expecting Jones to demand at least $15 to $20 million a year for 30 years for the deal. I expected a bigger bidding war that would have ended up with the sale around that figure.

That Jones stadium is nice. Dallas makes sure that they have the best in everything. Also the TOD that's planned to replace the old stadium seems like a good idea. Will they extend lightrail all the way to that part of Irving? Knowing Dallas, they'll find a way to make it happen!

Not sure how else to look at it. I can't remember the last time I've heard of an American sports stadium built within the past 20 years sell it's naming rights for less than 50% what was spent to build the stadium (correct me if I'm wrong there. I just can't recall it happening).

Consider yourself corrected...

http://www.espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

That Jones stadium is nice. Dallas makes sure that they have the best in everything. Also the TOD that's planned to replace the old stadium seems like a good idea. Will they extend lightrail all the way to that part of Irving? Knowing Dallas, they'll find a way to make it happen!

The old statium site is on the future DART Orange Line which will connect downtown Dallas to DFW Airport via Irving and Las Colinas (opening in 2011-2013). This station (Loop 12) was deferred when the Cowboys announced their move, but will be built alongside the future redevelopment. See this link for more.

Initially, I was really hoping the Cowboys stayed in Irving at either the current site or Las Colinas. The future rail lines and developable land near both sites would have allowed for incredible adjacent development much like the AAC and Victory. Having rail would eliminate the need for such huge parking lots. Even had hopes of an underground lot like that at Allianz Arena. MAde too much sense to actually happen.

The stadium couldn't have anything less to do with Dallas. It's in Arlington (and partly funded by Arlington taxpayers). It's the Dallas Cowboys in name only. But I do agree, it's going to a nice stadium (yes, even nicer than Reliant).

The stadium couldn't have anything less to do with Dallas.

Perhaps, if you're talking about the municipality called "Dallas". But, that narrow viewpoint is fairly meaningless.

The Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington has everything to do with GREATER DALLAS.

Also known as the Metroplex or the Dallas-Ft.Worth-Arlington Metropolitan Area.

Nice try, though.

Perhaps, if you're talking about the municipality called "Dallas". But, that narrow viewpoint is fairly meaningless.

The Dallas Cowboys stadium in Arlington has everything to do with GREATER DALLAS.

Nice try, though.

Actually, Feufoma is right. How much did Dallas spend on the stadium? Far as I'm concerned, Arlington put more money in it than any other in the Metroplex. It's their team, but Dallas still deserves credit for being the biggest city in that area.

Nice try, though.

Actually, Arlington isn't in the Dallas metro. It's in the Fort Worth metro. I'm not trying to do anything and really couldn't care less. I was just raising a point. Don't take it offensively.

Anyone who says Arlington is not in the same metro as Dallas has never looked at the current MSAs and CSAs, nor have they been in the metroplex. Arlington is maybe 10 miles from the western Dallas border(as is Fort Worth), with only Grand Prairie seperating the two. Its closer to downtown Dallas than Plano or Frisco. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington is an MSA which is a tighter definition than CSA. To seperate the two at this point goes against the definition of a metro area in the US and just doesn't really make common sense.

So if Arlington isn't in the Dallas metro does that mean that since there aren't enough hotel rooms outside of Uptown/Downtown Dallas to host a Superbowl, then there can't be a Superbowl in North Central Texas?

Dallas-Irving-Plano is one MSA and Fort Worth-Arlington is one MSA. Combined they make the sixth or seventh (can't remember which one) largest CSA in the U.S. It is almost like San Francisco-Oakland being one MSA and San Jose being the other. Combined they make up a CSA of close to 8 million. The Washington/Baltimore area is another example.

Archived