Dallas Cowboys Stadium

Speaking of Texas Stadium, has Dallas/Irving decided what will happen to Texas Stadium after the new stadium is built?

This website has some redevelopment ideas for the Texas Stadium site. It has the potential to be a great TOD with the new light rail line to DFW passing through the site.

From this site...

Redevelopment proposals unveiled for Texas Stadium

Officials from the City of Irving, the University of Dallas and Southwest Premier Properties are meeting with two development companies over the next two months to learn more details about how they would turn the Texas Stadium area into major mixed-use development.

Each of the three owns property at the Loop 12/Highway 114 interchange in Irving, which totals more than 350 acres. Formal presentations were made by Forest City Enterprises of Cleveland, Ohio, and Newland Communities of La Jolla, Calif.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This site has some redevelopment ideas for the Texas Stadium site. It has the potential to be a great TOD with the new light rail line to DFW passing through the site.

From this site...

It sounds fesible. I think one of these two will happen...

eco-sketch.jpg

mixed-sketch.jpg

I can't see DFW wanting to tear Texas Stadium down for a redevelopment if the stadium could still be used as part of the revitalization, especially when U consider the cost of razing.

It would make sense that the stadium cost so much. If Dallas Cowboys Park will not be built, perhaps it's because Jerry Jones and Arlington decided to put most of the money into the stadium instead.

Hicks, owner of the Texas Rangers and Dallas Stars and almost billionaire, is the one developing Glorypark. At this point, the mixed use shopping center is pretty much locked. The baseball stadium is more ingrained into Glorypark than the new football stadium or Six Flags, though I suspect at some point the amusement park will orient the park's main entrance with the shopping center.

I think the new stadium promises to kick ass.

Agreed, curious, was there some back story where the team was threatening to leave if a new stadium was not built, or was it a cordial event?

I don't think it ever got to that point. But I do think initially the Cowboys were looking at the possibility of building in Dallas, but the Dallas mayor didn't want to have to put all that tax money in because he knew it would be expensive. At that time though, they looked at all options including this current Arlington one, and decided Arlington would work because it still catered to two major cities. I think one posibility looked at was the Cotton Bowl site.

'Glorypark', a mixed-use district, is being developed around the ballpark and towards the new Cowboys stadium (website).

'Designed by RTKL Associates Inc., Glorypark will be built in two phases and will consist of more than 1.2 million square feet of retail, 300,000 square feet of office, high-rise and mid-rise residential, and two hotels. The first phase will be completed in fall 2008. The second phase is expected to open in 2010.'

new_site_plan.jpg

Arlington has discussed connecting the district with commuter rail, but they've spent all their money already (news story). Until then traffic looks to be a mess.

I wish Arlington well, but I can't imagine that high and mid rise residential, not to mention 2 hotels, would survive in this area. I don't see people staying in Arlington for a game, I see them staying in Dallas and driving to/from Arlington. We'll see, it'd be a real nice area if it worked out. Plus we know that the Rangers don't draw people to this area.

At that time though, they looked at all options including this current Arlington one, and decided Arlington would work because it still catered to two major cities.

Interesting that this new stadium will share a parking lot with Six Flag Over Texas, and some people blamed Reliant Stadium for part of the demise of Six Flags Astroword regarding parking issue.

Hopefully, many years from now, that will not repeat itself in Arlington.

(Request to merge with the other Cowboys stadium thread)

Done.

"Glorypark" :blink::wacko: Good grief, you would think someone would try to stop such a silly name.

Dallas Cowboys fans everywhere owe a big debt of gratitude to the genorous taxpayers of Arlington for footing the bill for this.

"Glorypark" :blink::wacko: Good grief, you would think someone would try to stop such a silly name.

You must be referencing another use of the word "glory" with an activity that happens in restrooms I assume, just to keep it vaguely PG. But now that you mention it, I am sure it will attract that type of activity, just like truck stops do. :lol::P

The Dallas Morning News has an interactive description of the stadium.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...s/1206/stadium/

Jams coming, but road plans to help

Officials want all new traffic players in place before kickoff in 2009

04:01 AM CST on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

ARLINGTON

-I agree...kinda silly indeed

Dallas Cowboys fans everywhere owe a big debt of gratitude to the genorous taxpayers of Arlington for footing the bill for this.

It's a beautiful stadium. If I were in Arlington, I would certainly want the Cowboys to drop the "Dallas" and just be the Arlington Cowboys along with the Arlington Rangers. :lol:

It's a beautiful stadium. If I were in Arlington, I would certainly want the Cowboys to drop the "Dallas" and just be the Arlington Cowboys along with the Arlington Rangers.

Ain't nothing wrong with the name Texas Rangers. They're in Texas. Dallas Cowboys, I agre though. Arlington, Texas, or DFW Cowboys would be more politically correct. But Jones needs money to build the stadium, and the only way to do that is to cater to the largest city to that area...Dallas. We all know who they really play for though.

:ph34r: Man Law! :ph34r:

If 'Glory Park' is the area surrounding the stadium, is it safe to assume that they have named the hole in the roof as well? :o

That is one impressive piece of stadium work. But, no matter what they do to the roads and bridges, getting to the stadium will be the new definition of 'Hell On Earth'. Of course, probably no stadium in history has the freeway access that Texas Stadium does, so everything would be a step down.

man, i should've known that Dallas, (i mean Arlington) would pull all the stops to make this new stadium some real eye candy. I think it even looks better than Invesco field/Mile hi stadium in Denver.

Jerry Jones did a great job on the stadium design. I'm still curious if those on-field shadows will affect play any. Guess I gotta wait til 2009 to find out like everyone else :)

I don't think the shadows will be any worse than when we play a noon game now (or a 3:00 game early in the season).

Archived