Dallas Cowboys Stadium

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are old renderings of what the stadium would have looked like if it had been built in Downtown Dallas and included the "Town Square" development as planned.

As it stands now, the stadium will be built in Arlington next to Ameriquest Field and will NOT include the "Town Square" development.

A huge loss for Dallas here in not getting this porject built downtown with the development.

On a similar note, I wonder how some Dallasites feel about this. Everytime a local team has announced stadium plans, it includes lavish retail and entertainment developments to help make it attractive to voters. But when the project is built, the development does not happen. Ameriquest Field was supposed to have a "San Antoino-style" Riverwalk....didnt happen. American Airlines is supposed to have Victory by now....its very slow to happen adn due to problems with Hillwood Corp, it might not happen. And now this Cowboys debacle.

How do the voters that were promised this stuff feel now?

A huge loss for Dallas here in not getting this porject built downtown with the development.

The voters in Arlington dont seem to care that none of the stuff supposed to come with The Ballpark ever happened, since they agreed to contribute $325,000,000 toward the cost of the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium - that's a $1,000 gift from each Arlington resident paid to the Dallas Cowboys so they will play football in their town. Arlington residents receive the equilivant of $3-5 per year from the stadium lease, but other than that will not get any other direct return for this investment - the stadium, parking, concessions and all bookings revenue belong to the stadium operators - The Cowboys - and the city will not collect sales tax from stadium operations. At the end of a 30 year lease, the Cowboys have the option to purchase the stadium. Should an entertainment district be developed, the city would be allowed to collect sales tax from these businesses.

It's promising that some sort of sustainable entertainment/retail/shopping complex will root this time around - the big multi-use football stadium, a baseball stadium and Six Flags all in the same neighborhood should generate enough non-event spill over customers.

I think it's ridiculous that negotiations between Dallas County and Cowboys failed so completely. From the outside, it seems that neither side was really sincere about working out a "win-win" solution. Having the Cowboys back at Fair Park (Cotton Bowl) was the best possible location for me. Another option had been on the extreme SE corner of the downtown area, but that location would have cost more.

The voters in Arlington dont seem to care that none of the stuff supposed to come with The Ballpark ever happened, since they agreed to contribute $325,000,000 toward the cost of the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium - that's a $1,000 gift from each Arlington resident paid to the Dallas Cowboys so they will play football in their town.

If I lived in Arlington, and my city decided to build that stadium, I would hope that the name would be changed to the Arlington Cowboys. They already have the Texas Rangers which many refer to as the Arlington Rangers. So why not the Arlington Cowboys, or even the Texas Cowboys?

American Airlines is supposed to have Victory by now....its very slow to happen adn due to problems with Hillwood Corp, it might not happen.

Might not happen? Really?

Developers detail plans for Victory (The Dallas Morning News) By Steve Brown, The Dallas Morning News

Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News

May 11--Victory developers gave a peek at the future on Tuesday and detailed almost $450 million in projects under way at the site near downtown Dallas.

Along with the W Dallas Victory Hotel & Residences, by next summer Victory will include the Terrace, a seven-story condominium building; the 125-unit Vista apartments; and Victory Plaza, two retail and office buildings on the south side of American Airlines Center.

The Icon, a 28-story apartment tower, will open in 2007.

The buildings are in an area that's now been dubbed Victory Park. "We are building a neighborhood," Victory developer Ross Perot Jr. said. "We really announced our concept nine years ago.

"That vision is now becoming very true."

Since Mr. Perot and his Hillwood development firm proposed the arena and a surrounding development in 1996, the project has gone through a lot of changes.

A partnership with a New York developer to build a regional shopping center fell through. And Victory has shifted some of its emphasis from office to residential.

Current plans call for more than 4,000 residences and a million square feet of retail space.

The development program "doesn't require any city assistance," said Dallas businessman Tom Hicks, one of the Victory partners. "It's a real win for Dallas."

Mr. Perot and Mr. Hicks are building Victory with several partners. Fairfield Development of Grand Prairie is building the Terrace and the Vista. Houston-based Hanover Co. will build the Icon tower.

"We are bringing in developers from all over the country," Mr. Perot said. "To build 12 million square feet, you can't do that by yourself."

The next phase of Victory will include an office tower and a 25-story condo high-rise near the West End.

A 45-story office and condo tower next to the W Hotel will add another 300,000 square feet of offices and 130 residential units.

WHAT'S GOING UP

UNDER WAY:

--W Dallas Victory Hotel & Residences, a 33-story building with 144 condominiums, 251 hotel rooms and 42,500 square feet of retail space. Opens May 2006.

--The Terrace, a seven-story, 95-unit condominium building with 24,000 square feet of retail space. Opens summer 2006.

--The Vista, a 125-unit apartment building with 25,000 square feet of retail space. Opens summer 2006.

STARTING SOON:

--Victory Plaza, 120,000 square feet of office space and 73,000 square feet of retail space on the south plaza of American Airlines Center. Opens May 2006.

--The Icon, a 28-story apartment tower with 252 residential units and 10,000 square feet of retail space. Opens in 2007.

STILL TO COME:

--One Victory Tower, a 45-story, 300,000-square-foot office building and 130-unit residential tower with 85,000 square feet of retail space. To open in 2008.

--2200 Victory Avenue, a 300,000-square-foot office tower with 20,000 square feet of retail space. No date set.

--Residential Tower J, a 25-story, 151-unit residential building. No date set.

Source: Hillwood Online

Victory One(new tallest building in Uptown at 600ft)

display_lg_1.jpg

The Icon (announced groundbreaking for August)

rend05l.jpg

W Hotel and Victory Residences(2 towers u/c with the Terrace and Vista site being dug behind it)

w5147cx.jpg

If Victory isn't going to happen, they'd better stop and tear down the construction and fill some holes up.

As for the Cowboys, that sorry plan they put up last week has killed any chance of development around the stadium. The stadium will be even further away from I-30 than Ameriquest(meaning not even close to Six Flags or convention center), and is totally surrounded by huge parking lots. Its almost unnecessary where it will be built. Jerry is killing his superbowl chances with no transit to that stadium, and a bad location. Other franchises actually got Superbowl promises. Jerry still doesn't have one and even gave up his possible spot to the Jets. A lot of us wish Dallas could have found a way to deal, as the development actually had a shot in the Cedars or Fair Park. There were simply other issues at stake at the time and Dallas didn't have the money to give. That freed money will make a great difference in future projects.

No offense to Arlington, but I don't think any moajor pro sports franchise can market themselves with a suburban name. Most people don't know where Arlington is. Even Anaheim, a more known and larger city in Cali went back to Los Angeles Angels after a few years as Anaheim for marketing purposes.

As for Ameriquest, I think the problem with that place was wrong owners at the wrong time. Just compare Ameriquest to his new AA park in Frisco. One is surrounded by a park and a bunch of lots, while the other is surrounded by a new urbanist hood, new convention center, hockey arena, large hotel and is very pedestrian friendly. When the Rangers lease is nearing its end in 15 years, if Hicks is still the owner, Dallas should really make a run at the stadium(assuming there is room near or in downtown), as Hicks really seems to know his stuff when it comes to stadium developments.

As for the Cowboys, that sorry plan they put up last week has killed any chance of development around the stadium. The stadium will be even further away from I-30 than Ameriquest(meaning not even close to Six Flags or convention center), and is totally surrounded by huge parking lots

Really, Rant? Damn, that's horrible. The last time I was in Arlington and toured the Ameriquest Field area, the Rangers game had ended 90 min early and traffic was STILL being directed by cops. In other words, traffic is bad enough along I-30. I can't imagine how bad it would be with 25,000 more fans (assuming a sellout) and the facility located even further away from the main E-W thoroughfare in the area.

They would've come out better tearing down Texas Stadium, building the new stadium on that site and playing at the Cotton Bowl (ala the Bears in Champaign, IL) during the three years it would take to construct the new stadium.

These are old renderings of what the stadium would have looked like if it had been built in Downtown Dallas and included the "Town Square" development as planned.

As it stands now, the stadium will be built in Arlington next to Ameriquest Field and will NOT include the "Town Square" development.

On a similar note, I wonder how some Dallasites feel about this. Everytime a local team has announced stadium plans, it includes lavish retail and entertainment developments to help make it attractive to voters. But when the project is built, the development does not happen. Ameriquest Field was supposed to have a "San Antoino-style" Riverwalk....didnt happen. American Airlines is supposed to have Victory by now....its very slow to happen adn due to problems with Hillwood Corp, it might not happen. And now this Cowboys debacle.

There seems to be this notion that a new stadium is like the magic "fat loss" pill for economic development. But it all comes back to the root of diet and exercise. Or in economic development, mixed development of residential, business, art venues, public transportation, and commercial. Stadiums or only an added notiarity, like being able to wear Versace or Hugo Boss while looking good.

Actually as a Dallas resident this is a rather bitter sweet hearing of the issues that are starting to rise around Arlington's plan. First off several Arlington council members resigned right after the voters voted for the stadium. (red flag one) Second big red flag is that now more of planning is getting under way they are changing the scope of the work. Result instead of adding to the context of Arlington, Jerry Jones in cooperation with the City of Arlington are now asking to buy out people's homes/property for PARKING LOTS. Wow...thats a win for the city of Arlington. Taking away taxable property making it into public parking lots that will be financed by the city making the property NON-TAXABLE producing no revenue. In the Cowboys agreement, the Cowboys get the profit it will charge from the parking for a football game and the city gets a small percentage of the concessions (another loss for Arlington).

For Dallas this is a win-win situation. The Dallas Cowboys get a new stadium that Dallas tax payers do not have to subsidize (keeping the Cowboys in DFW and not relocating to Shreveport as JJ hinted a year or two ago), and meanwhile Uptown/downtown Dallas gain from most the tourist as well as downtown Ft. Worth ( you just can not break decades of tradition with hopes of new development) If you looked at the Cowboys and how they tried to sell the stadium to Dallas voters, they were trying to market a way to get the voters to buy into the plan. First, JJ presented only the stadium on the banks of the Trinty River with no development (I'm referencing a friend who worked on the project first hand back then), then the Cowboys decided to add "Cowboy Park" or whatever it was called. They deemed the park the "new urban or downtown Dallas, (hmmmm sounded vagely familar to Victory's current plans). Then as the Cowboys began talking more and more they started seeing that having the tax payers foot the bill for a billion dollar development was not feasible they then looked at the Cotton Bowl site. A historic site with a multitude of issues. This would have been ideal, but not at the expensive of selling Dallas's soul to JJ. He wanted TOO much. He wanted the taxpayers to pay for more then half of the cost of the stadium that would have payed for all of the Redskins new stadium and infrastructure. So that failed when Dallas County, Dallas City Council, consultants for changing of state legislation weighed in, and other numerous people weighed in saying this was not a good deal and needed to negogiate further. The fact is no one wins when it comes to JJ other then JJ.

It is proven that museums and art galleries bring in more revenue and vistors to a city then a half billion dollar stadium. Why because they are open year round, and change the scene with rotating exhibits and so forth. Football stadiums do not, they bare mostly a tax burden or others deem a "white elephant" unless built in an urban context. They have a set some 13 games a year. People drive in and drive out after the games. Building fields of parking lot around a stadium and taking away taxable property for a public financed building that can not be taxed does not add up to dollar signs but hoping "they will come." And don't think that if the Cowboys landed the tax payers approval for the Cotton Bowl that they would not be using the same current tactics for land acquition for their parking, only much more would be at stake. Prized historic building (not that they are much currently) surrounding Fair Park.

I for one am very proud of the fact that people on Dallas location fight did not negogiate any longer then they had too before Jerry Jones moved on. They did the right thing not sacarficing tax payers money in an already tight tax base. Keep in mind a few years back JJ actually went to the Dallas taxpayers and started marketing his idea that the tax for Dart be diverted to finance his new stadium. This was bout 5 years ago.

If I lived in Arlington, and my city decided to build that stadium, I would hope that the name would be changed to the Arlington Cowboys. They already have the Texas Rangers which many refer to as the Arlington Rangers. So why not the Arlington Cowboys, or even the Texas Cowboys?

The Cowboys have been in Irving for 20+ years. They were never the "Irving Cowboys." Why would they just now change their name to the Arlington Cowboys, since they've never been the Irving Cowboys? They will remain the Dallas Cowboys.

Arlington paid for Dallas' stadium. 'Nuff said.

I've never known the Angels as Los Angeles, but rather Anaheim. The same for the Raiders. No one calls them the San Fransisco Raiders. Greenbay Wisconsin only has 93,000 people, with no name recognition problems there either.

I've always known the Texas Rangers as the Arlington Rangers. And for a city (yes, city) of over 300,000 people, I don't see getting name recognition being an issue.

Everyone already knows where the Cowboys are from, now they'll just know who footed the bill: Arlington.

I don't know a single person that has ever called the Rangers, "Arlington". Jerry himself said that you don't just change a huge marketing name like the "Dallas Cowboys". Its a world-wide brand. This is according to him. Green Bay and Oakland are two totally different examples. These are old franchises that grew up with their leagues, when there wasn't as much media competition. They are established brand names just like the Cowboys.

As for the Angels, you must be much younger than I. I'm only 27 and the Angels were the California Angels for most of my life. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they picked up the Anaheim between 5 and 10 years ago. Maybe even more recent than that. I believe they changed when they last changed unis, from the black and read "CA" caps, to the current red unis. Before they were the California Angels, they were the Los Angeles Angels. Now, once again, they are officially the Los Angeles Angels with the stupid "of Anaheim" as agreed upon by management. Just watch a ballgame. They were labeled as ANA the last few years. Now they are back to the original LAA.

Really, Rant? Damn, that's horrible. The last time I was in Arlington and toured the Ameriquest Field area, the Rangers game had ended 90 min early and traffic was STILL being directed by cops. In other words, traffic is bad enough along I-30. I can't imagine how bad it would be with 25,000 more fans (assuming a sellout) and the facility located even further away from the main E-W thoroughfare in the area.

They would've come out better tearing down Texas Stadium, building the new stadium on that site and playing at the Cotton Bowl (ala the Bears in Champaign, IL) during the three years it would take to construct the new stadium.

If you think the site itself is bad, wait until you see the site plan itself. At least Reliant is close to the dome and rail. This site is currently a bunch of residential neighborhoods and small businesses that they have to either buy out or use emminent domain to move. They might run into trouble with proving this is a proper use in lieu of recent cases. I would simply laugh if the stadium got caught up in legal ranglings as there were simply better sites.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...0510met_map.pdf

Fair Park or the expensive Cedars site were much better for this venue. Even the proposed Las Colinas site was outstanding compared to this. I'm sure the stadium itself will be fantastic. Possibly the world's best. Even with all of these road improvements and new ramps on I-30(who cares, this thing is a decent distance from I-30), the location and site plan is blah. Highly disappointing.

I believe when the Angels were first chartered back in the... 60s (?), they began as the Los Angeles Angels. I believe they even played some of their games at the old Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, then when Anaheim Stadium was built in the 70s, the team moved and the ownership group decided to change Los Angeles to California.

I don't have exact dates but that's loosely how I remember the history being outlined.

I've always thought the Anaheim Angels tag was kind of a reach. However, changing from Anaheim to Los Angeles is kind of silly as well given that the Angels won a World Series as the "Anaheim Angels."

Anyway, I agree with Rant that name recognition is important. You don't take "Dallas" off the "Dallas Cowboys" when you have the marketing and sales momentum that the franchise has had since about 1970.

I've never known the Angels as Los Angeles, but rather Anaheim. The same for the Raiders. No one calls them the San Fransisco Raiders. Greenbay Wisconsin only has 93,000 people, with no name recognition problems there either.

I've always known the Texas Rangers as the Arlington Rangers. And for a city (yes, city) of over 300,000 people, I don't see getting name recognition being an issue.

Everyone already knows where the Cowboys are from, now they'll just know who footed the bill: Arlington.

I've been a life-long resident of DFW and I've never ever heard the Rangers referred to as The Arlington Rangers. In fact, if you called them the Arlington Rangers, I think most people around here would assume you were talking about a high school team or some other sports team than the Texas Rangers... (remember, there is an Arlington, VA and Arlington Heights in the Chicago area)

The difference between Oakland and Arlington is that Oakland is considered to be one of the Bay Area's anchor cities... Sure, it's probably technically a suburb of San Fran, but it's also more of an anchor city for that metro area. Arlington is not considered to be one of the "anchor" cities in the Metroplex in the same way that Fort Worth and Dallas are... Most people in DFW think of Arlington as a major suburb of Fort Worth. Arlington is sort of a suburb on steroids. It's incredibly congested and very suburban feeling. There isn't really anything urban feeling about Arlington at all - except the traffic. Arlington doesn't even have it's own mass transit system - not even buses. FW provides all the busing for Arlington.

Arlington Rangers... Arlinton Cowboys... It will never happen. You have to remember that the Dallas Cowboys are much more than just a football team. They're an image and they're one of the most highly prized franchises in all of professional sports. In addition to that, think about the trademark rights and all that go with it. If I'm correct, I believe that Dallas Cowboy merchandising is one of the most profitable merchandising brands among pro sports as well. People have an attachment to the "Dallas Cowboys" name much more than some of the other pro sports teams... That is the main reason that Dallas - the city - screwed up by losing out on the chance to have their name sake sports team move back into the city... The stadium belongs in Fair Park. I personally think it's a complete crime for the Dallas Cowboys to move to Arlington. At least Irving is in Dallas County. Arlington is completely in Tarrant County... So Dallas County won't even see any tax revenue from the stadium. I cannot even imagine what traffic on 30 is going to be like when they build the new stadium. Between the Rangers and Cowboys it's going to be gridlock on game days, and since baseball and football seasons overlap that's not going to be good. I also don't think that all the "urban village" development that would have taken place in Fair Park will ever be built in Arlington. Arlington is close to being built out and it's just not that nice of a city... I think the Dallas Cowboys will regret moving to Arlington. Jerry Jones is just out for the almighty dollar... he would have built the stadium in Waco if they'd come to the table with the best offer.

Oh, and just for reference sake, Arlington is the third largest city in DFW with a population of 355,500 with 3606 people per sq mile. Dallas' pop is 1,232,100 with 3195 people per sq mile. Fort Worth's pop is 618,600 with 2069 people per sq mile. I believe Arlington is the most densely populated large city in DFW when it comes to people per square mile. Highland Park has 8,850 people, but that's 3961 people per sq mile. University Park has a pop of 23,150 and 6,233 people per sq mile. Just a little FYI.

because they are the "dallas"cowboys.I'm glad as a houston sport's fan i don't have to drive to katy to see a game.that would be insane.

How is a stadium being built for the Dallas Cowboys or Texas Rangers be more marketable closer to Fort Worth than in downtown Dallas? And how could the city of Dallas agree to a deal like that? Dallas didn't have the money to push for the stadium to be at least within their city limits? And why didn't Arlington push to call the teams the "Arlington Cowboys", or "Arlington Rangers"?

I understand the Dallas Cowboy's point of view in terms of tapping into two markets and Fort Worth doesn't have to travel too far to see Dallas's team, but exactly WHERE did Arlington, Irving, or the city of Dallas win on this deal in the first place, even though the stadium renderings kick ass? Can anyone explain?

Its not about marketing. Its about where the best deal would happen. Arlington offered to pay half. Dallas offered about 1/3 because they were maxed out. It was almost a take it or leave it as Dallas had more important projects out there. In the opinion of many, DART, convention center and downtown development, TOD and other urban TIF zones, luring companies, Trinity River Parks and bridges and basic infrastructure were more important than the revenue from such a stadium. Irving would tend to agree with Dallas and offered Jerry a similar deal as Texas Stadium has never helped them all that much. The Dallas and Irving sites were 100x better locations for all involved. Jerry Jones ended any speculation of a name change when the deal was announced the day after the Dallas deadline. He stated that the Dallas Cowboys is a worldwide brand. Arlington Cowboys might as well be starting from scratch with the world wondering what happened to the Dallas Cowboys and where the heck is Arlington. Texas Rangers have always been the Texas Rangers. They were in Arlington before Ameriquest when Arlington was a much smaller town. As I said before, if Anaheim changed back to a more recognizeable name, then Arlington would end up doing the same. Why waste 5 years?

What must be understood in comparison to Houston is the competitiveness there is in DFW. If a Fortune 500, stadium or anything else huge moves to Houston, the choices of which municipality is limited compared to an LA, SF or DFW. When a company looks at DFW there is Fort Worth, Las Colinas, Flower Mound, Plano, Frisco, Richardson, Westlake, Allen, Addison, Grapevine, and Far North Dallas that currently compete for anything and everything that comes to the metroplex. Everyone is after tax relief for their taxpayers through corporate and infrastructural taxation. There are very few metroplex cities that are satisfied with just being quiet bedroom communities. Its a blood bath.

Arlington has the Cowboys, Rangers, Six Flags and Hurricane Harbor. In exchange for shelling out these tax incentives they have very poor roads, poor freeway access, a relatively low amount of retail for a city of its size and absolutely no public transit. No buses, no trains, no shuttles, no nothing. With the Cowboys Stadium on their tax rolls they have officially maxed out their taxing ability. This issue was not about markets. Its about money. Houston stadiums are in Houston because that would make the most money. Houston is the undisputed center, population wise and geographically of Houston metro, while DFW is much more spread out, and larger in population. The geographical center is DFW Airport. If the location was based on market, the Las Colinas site would be chosen, as it it the absolute population center of the metroplex(though the income center is much farther east. At the same time, when going to a Rangers game, the vast majority of the traffic is coming fromt he north and the east. Where Irving won is to get the cost burden of Texas Stadium off of their backs. Now that land is free to redevelop. Especially with DART LRT coming with a station there. They can build a much more lucrative TOD there. There was a nice article of who wins, Irving or Arlington. Major case for Irving winning big time. Dallas and FW are the really big winners. FW from the fact that this gets built in their county, so they get the property taxes, some of the visitors recreational spending, and some people in their hotels. Dallas is the biggest winner of them all. The stadium is 15 minutes from downtown. For any big event like a Superbowl that will bring in high dollar visitors, Dallas wins. Dallas is the place with the 4 and 5 star hotels. Dallas is the place with the most visitor type entertainment. Dallas is the place with the serious shopping. Dallas gets all of this and doesn't have to pay a dime for it. Dallas' loss may be in the fact that they won't get a Victory like development around a downtown stadium. This was possible in Dallas because there are actual options besides driving for large numbers of patrons, so huge lots aren't necessary. But for no money spent Dallas is coming out with a sweet deal.

There is a wait and see factor with this still. The stadium is scheduled to break ground next late spring, but there may be a snag with eminent domain. For whatever reason they decided to tear down a large residential area rather than use the huge empty lots in the entertainment area. This could prove costly if many homeowners fight the deal being offered for their land. There are currently cases in the supreme court with land owners vs public/private partnership eminent domain. Eminent domain is supposed to be for public projects only, so such partnerships using the power may be found unconstitutional. The Cowboys oculd actually pull out of the contract if their conditions aren't met. Should be very interesting, but chances are it goes to the horrible location.

• 1 year later...

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

Total Square Footage: 2.3 million square feet. The entire Statue of Liberty and its base could fit into the stadium with the roof closed. The stadium is also the world's largest column-free room. The American Airlines Center in Dallas could fit entirely into the new stadium at field level.

Interior Cubic Volume: 104 million cubic feet. (By comparison, Reliant Stadium in Houston measures 90 million cubic feet.) The Dallas Cowboys stadium will be the largest enclosed stadium (in cubic feet) in the NFL.

Seating Capacity: A capacity of 80,000 plus standing room or additional seating in the end zones, along with ticketed areas in the end zone plazas can increase total capacity to 100,000.

Suites: There will be 200 suites in eight different locations on five separate levels of the stadium. Field-level suites will be available on the sidelines as well as in the end zone for up-close and personal viewing of the games. The Hall of Fame level suites will be 20 rows from the field, making them the closest in the NFL.

Domed Roof: At 660,800 square feet, the stadium will be the largest domed structure in the world.

Retractable Roof: The open roof design that was a unique feature of Texas Stadium will be carried over into the design of the new stadium, with the improvement of a new retractable feature, revealing an opening that measures 256 feet wide and 410 feet long. Two bi-parting mechanized roof panels

I cannot wait to hear the bitching that comes from having a superbowl in friggin' Arlington.

Expandable to 100,000 for big games like the Super Bowl? I can't even begin to imagine the traffic that will create trying to reach this barren wasteland surrounded by THIRTY THOUSAND parking spaces.

If the world laughed at Houston even when we gave them downtown and a light rail, be afraid, DFWArlington, be very afraid.

'Glorypark', a mixed-use district, is being developed around the ballpark and towards the new Cowboys stadium (website).

'Designed by RTKL Associates Inc., Glorypark will be built in two phases and will consist of more than 1.2 million square feet of retail, 300,000 square feet of office, high-rise and mid-rise residential, and two hotels. The first phase will be completed in fall 2008. The second phase is expected to open in 2010.'

new_site_plan.jpg

Arlington has discussed connecting the district with commuter rail, but they've spent all their money already (news story). Until then traffic looks to be a mess.

That stadium is gonna be sick! If I've ever seen first class, that's it.

Even with inflation, I think it will be the most expensive from from what I read on this website. :o

'Glorypark', a mixed-use district, is being developed around the ballpark and towards the new Cowboys stadium (website).

Looks like a nice up and coming mini CBD, only without the highrises to compliment. It is nice they set it up as a grided neighborhood. :)

It's gonna be a beautiful stadium when it's complete. The Cowboys once again proved that the best stadiums in North America are in Texas. I LOVE their concept on the two sliding doors and the size of the stadium. I also love the amount of stadium suites. Looking forward to watching a Cowboys game from one of those when the stadium's complete.

I can already see one problem with the design though. If a game's played during the daytime, it's gonna be real annoying to watch or play in that stadium with all those shadows on the field caused by the roof and jumbotron in the middle of the field. I can imagine that affecting passing plays on occassion. (I know Allianz Arena in Munich and Amsterdam Arena in Amsterdam has those shadow issues with their video boards dangling over the field. Both are retractable stadiums, too.) I'm also surprised they didn't include balconies for fresh air on the outside of the stadium similar to how Reliant has theirs. That's one of the best things for fans at Reliant during breaks between quarters and halfs.

Also, will the center still happen? The hotels, shops around the stadium, Dallas Cowboys park etc.? In the designs, the area around the stadium looks empty. I thought there were supposed to be a whole bunch of Cowboys-themed entertainment built around the park.

I like the tvs on the sides of the stadium. I'm not sure why that hasn't been done on any of the other stadiums in Texas, or why there isn't a jumbotron in the parking lots of Texas Stadium or Reliant when you think of the tailgate parties that happen there. Speaking of Texas Stadium, has Dallas/Irving decided what will happen to Texas Stadium after the new stadium is built?

Lastly, it claims there are 8 video boards, four of them being the jumbotrons in the middle of the field. Where's the other four? Is that including the two jumbotrons in the parking lot. I'm curious because it looks like there's no jumbotrons in the endzone in some designs, but also appears to be there in others.

Archived