Will You Ride The New Downtown Houston Balloon?

editor

I got an e-mail today stating that a new balloon ride opens in downtown Houston today.

Here's a copy of the flyer:

post-1-1260982534987_thumb.jpg

It looks a lot like the one that was in Chicago until about a month ago, and the one I rode in Singapore. Though, the Houston one goes way higher (35 stories) than the Chicago one did (20 stories), but not quite as high as the Singapore balloon (50 stories).

$20 is a little pricey (cheaper than Chicago, more than Singapore), but it's worth the trip. It's a great way to see a city.

how awesome would that be? Years back there was a bungee crane set up at Richmond and the loop where the Best Buy is now. Not as scenic as a river gorge, but hey. I loved jumping out of a perfectly good plane, so I'm definitely down for the balloon.

sad.gif I miss Astroworld. I love rides.

I'm hoping Dinosaurama will be open by the time my kid is tall enough to ride the rides. And, I hope they have some kind of educational thingie that at least remotely resembles the Greezed Lightnin'.

It hasn't gone thirty five stories yet... People have been riding it since Sunday and I am not impressed. It doesn't even go over the One Park Place building (which blocks the skyline). In order for you to see the skyline in this balloon it needs to go above that building. I have yet seen this happen and my windows face the balloon.

I wonder if they'll have bungee jumping off of it.

Based on my experience with other balloons, you don't want people jumping out. These tourist balloons lurch a lot more than a real hot air ballon, I guess because of the tether. I really thought the one in Singapore was going to turn over or something when 15 Indians rushed to one side to have their group picture taken in front of the skyline. My wife and I were clinging to the ropes on the other side for dear life. We thought we were going to fall through the big hole in the middle.

It hasn't gone thirty five stories yet... People have been riding it since Sunday and I am not impressed. It doesn't even go over the One Park Place building (which blocks the skyline).

i saw it peak below the roof when i went by on the bus.

• The title was changed to Will You Ride The New Downtown Houston Balloon?

Archived