Birds Attack In Downtown Houston.

i was attacked by the same grackle 3 times by the eastwood transit center walking to UH. the first two times was back to back, then the next was a week later (i thought it was a one time thing so had forgotten about it). basically if i walked anywhere near his tree he would swoop down and attack me, but only when my back was facing it. if i faced it, it would just stare at me. scary.

I've never been attacked by a grackle, but several times mockingbirds and blue jays have dive-bombed me.

Mockingbirds especially seem to hate cats. There's nothing like seeing a cat trying to maintain a cool composure when a mockingbird goes on the warpath (except perhaps a starlet surrounded by paparrazzi)?

i was attacked by the same grackle 3 times by the eastwood transit center walking to UH. the first two times was back to back, then the next was a week later (i thought it was a one time thing so had forgotten about it). basically if i walked anywhere near his tree he would swoop down and attack me, but only when my back was facing it. if i faced it, it would just stare at me. scary.

just curious, did it hurt?

makes me think twice when walking around. :unsure:

just curious, did it hurt?

makes me think twice when walking around.  :unsure:

the first two shots were in the shoulder and glanced my back, didn't hurt at all. the last one it actually nicked my ear, pierced the skin. that actually hurt, but it wasn't too bad. just a bit scary cause they come out of nowhere.

I love grackles, especially that sound they make.  When I was a kid growing up in Victoria, I was chased by a couple grackles, and it freaked me out.

Grackles are definitely one of my favorite birds too. I love watching 'em puff up and strut around with heads held high. It's a crazy dance they do.

Are there any Grackle Fan Clubs in Houston? If not, maybe we should start one up.

DON'T FEAR THE GRACKLE!

Guest danax
Grackles are definitely one of my favorite birds too.  I love watching 'em puff up and strut around with heads held high.  It's a crazy dance they do. 

Are there any Grackle Fan Clubs in Houston?  If not, maybe we should start one up. 

DON'T FEAR THE GRACKLE!

I agree. We're lucky to have these as our urban birds instead of just pigeons. Your car might need a new paint job if you happen to park under one of their roosting trees overnight though. They roost in several of the street trees by Gulfgate and, around sundown, the intersection is just filled with their crazy noise. What could they be saying?

Guest danax
They're probably all saying the Grackle version of; "'scuze me", "Coming through", "Pardon me", and "up yours, watch that beak!"

R

hehee. Must be hard having to sleep like that.

I like the grackles, too - nearly as much as I like crows.

For the seriously geeky, here's an article regarding the effects of city lighting on crows. The small city of Auburn NY was suddenly overwhelmed by thousands of crows in the early 90s. They seem to have a similar social structure to our grackles. Wonder if Houston's streetlights are contributing to their habit of late-night gabfests?

Archived