Phoenicia Specialty Foods Grocery Store At 1001 Austin St.

kevbo

I'm not sure if this has been discussed/mentioned, but it appears that:

The new 28,000-sq.-ft Phoenicia Specialty Foods — smaller than the 55,000-sq.-ft. store on Westheimer near Kirkwood — is expected to open at the end of this year across McKinney St. from the Downtown park, in the ground floor of the One Park Place apartment tower. But park visitors will likely have to walk around the building to get their freekeh on: The store’s entrance will face Austin St.

From Swamplot.

http://swamplot.com/swamplot-award-winners-converge-as-phoenicia-moves-in-next-to-discovery-green/2010-05-05/

Not bad news, just thought that this isn't the most appealing entrance for park-goers, and unless there's a sign of the grocery store in the front, I'm sure that many people will never know about Phoenicia as it won't face the park.

The good thing is, this will be closer to the Shops at Houston Center, so more people will be exposed to that as well. Im wondering though, is it going to be accessible from OPP's front entrance, in that case, people can just use the front entrance and go into the grocery store inside, or will this be seperated from OPP, with the only entrance on Austin St? It appears to be the latter, unfortunately.

Edited by citizen4rmptown

Shawarma.

Originally Phoenicia was just a deli and it's still in operation across the street from the big warehouse store.

The owner's wife runs the deli. The deli is going to eventually be moving across the street into their grocery complex in the western anchor site behind the retention pond. It might already be under construction but as of last year plans were shelved. The deli is to have a drive thru and also provide catering services, so it's quite a large expansion in terms of space and services.

This OPP location is good news and I hope it works out for them.

• Like 1

The front door to the store will be facing Austin St. according to reports, but I think that is because a restaurant is slated to move into the corner space (LaBranch & Lamar) sometime after Phoenicia finishes it's build-out. It is possible that there will be an entrance from inside the OPP lobby but it will be access controlled, for the use of the residents only.

I'm all for specialty foods and stuff, but I was hoping for something more "mainstream", I guess. I've never been to their store on Westheimer, so I don't know....can I go there for paper towels and Diet coke, 409 and toilet paper?? I love olive oil, capers and hummus, but they only go so far for my daily needs. I guess I'll just continue to shop at KillerKrogerOnKullen for my staples. But I know where to go if I need grape leaves and baklava!

• Like 1

I'm all for specialty foods and stuff, but I was hoping for something more "mainstream", I guess. I've never been to their store on Westheimer, so I don't know....can I go there for paper towels and Diet coke, 409 and toilet paper?? I love olive oil, capers and hummus, but they only go so far for my daily needs. I guess I'll just continue to shop at KillerKrogerOnKullen for my staples. But I know where to go if I need grape leaves and baklava!

not to mention a whole foods will be just down the road in a little while.

Wow... this is all I could have hoped for downtown... and more!! I am a loyal Phoenicia customer. Only problem is I live so far away that I only get out there about twice a month. Now, I'll be able to take my bike there!!!!!!

I agree that eventually we want downtown to have a "mainstream" grocer, but this is and Byrd's market are a great start. The crowds that come for Phoenicia are the type of crowds that downtown wants to be "discovered" by. They are young and/or independent with fewer suburban ties (generally) and more disposable income. This IMO is the perfect fit.

And we can still meet the "mainstream needs" via the rail line... Randall's and two Fiestas are there. I will guiltily admit that I'd rather sit on the train a few mins more and hike across the road to the Fiesta by Reliant than the one at Wheeler station... selection-wise, there's just no comparison between the two.

Byrd's is no bueno as a grocer. They replaced their fresh produce with kitty litter and cleaning supplies. All they have left as groceries go is way overpriced pasta, and Lola's Coffee for $5 per pound more than it costs to get it from the Lola's plant ten blocks away. I do like some of their food, but the price is kinda high.

And we can still meet the "mainstream needs" via the rail line... Randall's and two Fiestas are there. I will guiltily admit that I'd rather sit on the train a few mins more and hike across the road to the Fiesta by Reliant than the one at Wheeler station... selection-wise, there's just no comparison between the two.

Don't forget, once the north section is completed, you can access one more Fiesta on Fulton.

Byrd's is no bueno as a grocer. They replaced their fresh produce with kitty litter and cleaning supplies. All they have left as groceries go is way overpriced pasta, and Lola's Coffee for $5 per pound more than it costs to get it from the Lola's plant ten blocks away. I do like some of their food, but the price is kinda high.

They don't sell produce anymore?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like they are a putting a sign up for Phoenecia...but I still haven't heard anything on when it will actually open

Are you referring to the cantilever or actual signage. The couple of times I've past by the only exterior work going on was the that the brick was punctured at structural intervals for the sidewalk cantilever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I spoke with the GM last Wednesday while at the Brewery Tap and she said they are on schedule for a Mid-October opening. I know she felt my reluctance when she said it but she seemed to be very optimistic on that time frame by saying she knows how far off schedule they are. Guess we'll find out soon.

Edited by arrodiii

• 2 weeks later...

Their website now lists November 2011 for opening.

Walked by yesterday, and noticed that some of the shelves are already stocked, and they were testing the lighting on the big sign as well.

Will November really be it?

EDIT: Annnnnnddd Here it is:

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/10-17-11-phoenicia-offers-exclusive-sneak-peek-of-new-downtown-location/

Edited by Eiknujrac

Wow... this is all I could have hoped for downtown... and more!! I am a loyal Phoenicia customer. Only problem is I live so far away that I only get out there about twice a month. Now, I'll be able to take my bike there!!!!!!

I agree that eventually we want downtown to have a "mainstream" grocer, but this is and Byrd's market are a great start. The crowds that come for Phoenicia are the type of crowds that downtown wants to be "discovered" by. They are young and/or independent with fewer suburban ties (generally) and more disposable income. This IMO is the perfect fit.

I have a rather sad Fiesta in my hood, good enough for staples, so I take the train to Wheeler Fiesta sometimes. I've not been to the one farther South. Is the selection that much better? The international selection is what I am most interested in.