Snow possible on Friday

HtownWxBoy

I agree with you on that one. I much rather throw on some shorts, t-shirt, flipflops, and sit back on the terrace with a cold corona. I hate winter, it sux. There is no reason for it to be this cold. Ugh.

Lol...You've either never experienced a midwestern winter or have lived through too many. Make yourself an Irish coffee and enjoy...we get plenty of cold corona time here.:D

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol...You've either never experienced a midwestern winter or have lived through too many. Make yourself an Irish coffee and enjoy...we get plenty of cold corona time here.:D

If I wanted to experience a midwestern winter, I'd move to Chicago. I don't, so I haven't.

I like our inhospitable summer weather.

If I wanted to experience a midwestern winter, I'd move to Chicago. I don't, so I haven't.

I like our inhospitable summer weather.

Smart move on your part. Point is there's no reason not to enjoy adult beverages when things cool down a bit. We can still relax on our patios here, unlike those poor, unfortunate souls further north.

@least you guys get snow("threat of snow") days off of work and the city shuts down.....up here in the midwest, you just deal with it and everyone hates the snow. (im bitter just thinking about the onset of depression thats about to occur here in chicago. Oh well, i should just say goodbye to the sun now...Actually I may have missed my chance, its already getting dark and has been gloomy all day.

We're looking at 3-5" tomorrow?

Last year, we had .03".    Am i reading the numbers wrong? Is there a difference between the amount forecast in inches vs the amount recorded as the city average in inches ?

That's just what I heard on KPRC. Holy crap I can't imagine what this city would be like with 5" of snow! I've got to get to the sporting goods store and buy some snow shoes. 

We're looking at 3-5" tomorrow?

Last year, we had .03". Am i reading the numbers wrong? Is there a difference between the amount forecast in inches vs the amount recorded as the city average in inches ?

Yes. If you look at the average, it is simply what we historically get on that date. It works better for rainfall. Look at this Weather Underground summary.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KHOU/2009/12/3/DailyHistory.html

It shows that historically, we get 0.12 inches of rain on this date. But none was forecast for today.

From the ABC13 weather blog...

Here's how we think the storm will develop in the immediate Houston area:

6am - 9am Rain begins

9am - Noon Rain mixes and changes to Snow

Noon - 3pm All Snow

3pm - 6pm All Snow

6pm - 9pm Snow tapers off to flurries

In you live in Galveston, here's what you can expect:

6am - 9am Rain begins

9am - Noon Rain continues

Noon - 3pm Rain mixes and changes to Snow

3pm - 6pm All Snow

6pm - 9pm All Snow

9pm - Midnight Snow tapers off to flurries

If the rain changes to snow earlier than we're forecasting, you will receive more snow. If it changes to snow later, then obviously you'll see less accumulation.

Additionally, some of the models are forecasting "thundersnow." Yes, there is such a thing. If that happens then expect much higher snowfall totals.

This is a pretty impressive forecast. Highway6's link shows that other than the blizzard of 1895, Houston has never received more than 4.4 inches of snow, and we've only received over 2 inches 5 times in our history. I guess I need to break out the camera for those funny pics of my southern dogs freaking out at stuff falling from above. Obviously, they are not used to that sort of thing.

I am totally rockin' my leopard print Snuggie and burrowing into the flannel sheets. You guys would hate it at my house. I keep the indoor tempt at 65 in winter!

61 in our house. Shorts and a tshirt. Gonna fire up the chiminea for sure this weekend, did it the past 2 and it's been fun. If you people had more pyro in you, you'd love the cold more.

DISCLAIMER: I only go pyro over leaves, junk mail, and the oak I collected after Ike - no houses or abandoned structures!

Winter Storm Warning:

AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE COUPLED WITH AN INCREASE

IN MOISTURE AND UNSEASONABLY COLD TEMPERATURES WILL SET THE STAGE

FOR PERIODS OF SNOW ACROSS THE AREA FRIDAY. ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO

5 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ALVIN...ANAHUAC...ANGLETON...

BROOKSHIRE...CLEVELAND...COLDSPRING...CONROE...CORRIGAN...

DAYTON...FREEPORT...FRIENDSWOOD...GALVESTON...HEMPSTEAD...

HOUSTON...HUMBLE...KATY...LAKE JACKSON...LEAGUE CITY...LIBERTY...

LIVINGSTON...MISSOURI CITY...MONT BELVIEU...ONALASKA...PASADENA...

PEARLAND...PRAIRIE VIEW...RICHMOND...ROSENBERG...SHEPHERD...

SUGAR LAND...TEXAS CITY...THE WOODLANDS...TOMBALL...WILLIS...

WINNIE

1017 PM CST THU DEC 3 2009

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 8 PM CST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HOUSTON/GALVESTON HAS ISSUED A

WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO

8 PM CST FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREA BEGINNING LATE MORNING

FRIDAY...AND BECOME MODERATE TO HEAVY DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS.

THE SNOW WILL PERSIST UNTIL EARLY EVENING BEFORE ENDING. TOTAL

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 4 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED TOTALS OF 5 INCHES...ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE INLAND COUNTIES AND THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL COUNTIES. TOWARD THE IMMEDIATE COAST...THE PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN AS RAIN AND NOT CHANGE TO SNOW UNTIL LATE AFTERNOON. AS A RESULT...SLIGHTLY LOWER ACCUMULATIONS ARE ANTICIPATED THERE. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO END ACROSS THE WARNING AREA BETWEEN 6 AND 8 PM. SOME ROADWAYS... ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES ARE LIKELY TO BECOME ICY FRIDAY EVENING AS TEMPERATURES FALL WELL BELOW FREEZING.

IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW...THE COMBINATION OF GUSTY WINDS AND COLD

TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILL READINGS IN THE 20S FRIDAY

AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW

ARE FORECAST.

MELTING AND REFREEZING OF WATER ON ROADWAYS...ESPECIALLY BRIDGES

AND OVERPASSES...WILL CREATE PATCHES OF BLACK ICE. THIS TYPE OF

ICE IS VIRTUALLY INVISIBLE ON THE ROAD SURFACE...AND CAN CAUSE YOU

TO LOSE CONTROL OF YOUR CAR.

http://forecast.weat...=hgx&wwa=winter

Al Gore will not be pleased....

I hate to break it to you but snow in Texas doesn't mean that much in terms of global averages (it doesn't mean its colder than average everywhere). Look at the temperature anomalies in October. Coler than average around here, but warmer than average most other places. My grandma said she hasn't even put on her winter jacket yet in Canada and we usually have snow by Halloween!

oct_temps.gif

It was raining as I drove in, but downtown up on the 38th floor all I see out my window is snow... Pretty cool

A little closer to the ground, I'm on the 10th floor and it's a mix.

I like how when it snows down here it brings out the excitable, dorky little kid in people. :)

I hate to break it to you but snow in Texas doesn't mean that much in terms of global averages .. blah blah

Jesus.. it was joking around... but thank you wholeheartedly for breaking some information over my noggin like that !!

I'm sure if Al Gore lived in Houston, he would be actually quite pleased this morning knowing in a few hours he's gonna get to go out and make snowmen. I mean.. who doesn't like snowball fights, fight ??

Yes. If you look at the average, it is simply what we historically get on that date. It works better for rainfall. Look at this Weather Underground summary.

http://www.wundergro...ilyHistory.html

It shows that historically, we get 0.12 inches of rain on this date. But none was forecast for today.

That would make sense for rain.. I get the average thing..

But that link I had at the beginning seemed to chart one-time snow events. "Trace" amounts isn't exactly the answer to "historical average on that date."

It started sleeting in Sugar Land around 8 AM...seeing a bit of snow now!

Anyone going out to take pics later? Ya know, downtown, DG, etc.

I'm sure if Al Gore lived in Houston, he would be actually quite pleased this morning knowing in a few hours he's gonna get to go out and make snowmen. I mean.. who doesn't like snowball fights, right ??

I totally agree with you on that one.

In Canada we would call this slush, not snow.

Archived