Satellite Radio

So do you think he's just lying?

Well, I thought he was lying until just a few hours ago. Sirius just announced that if the merger goes through they'll have a $6.99/month plan that includes 50 channels (I think of your choice) and additional channels for just 25 cents each. No matter how many channels you pick, it will never be more than $12.99/month.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/posttech/20...ml?nav=rss_blog

They've put up, so now I'll shut up.

I read that too editor but the version I read in Boston had lots of fine print. In many cases, the prices could be more expensive. Basically, the cheapest version would be cheaper but the add-ons could get pricey.

I have had XM for years. I really hope Sirius doesn't mess with my Fred, Lucy, and Ethel. I hate admitting I rarely listen to anything but these 3 stations but for an alternative rock/punk/techno/new wave lover, they're that good.

I read that too editor but the version I read in Boston had lots of fine print. In many cases, the prices could be more expensive. Basically, the cheapest version would be cheaper but the add-ons could get pricey.

I have had XM for years. I really hope Sirius doesn't mess with my Fred, Lucy, and Ethel. I hate admitting I rarely listen to anything but these 3 stations but for an alternative rock/punk/techno/new wave lover, they're that good.

My presets on the "A" setting are:

1. Fred

2. Ethel

3. Lucy

4. The Loft

5. XM Cafe

6. The Verge

7. Real Jazz

8. Top Tracks

9. Air Musique (or whatever the French station is)

10. Hear Music

I switch out the "B" band every so often to explore what's out there.

I use the "C" band for news and talk channels, like CNN, America Left, Comedy, The Virus and such.

And, of course, I sometimes switch to "Direct mode" to hear what's on the Decades channels. I like the '40s and the '80s channels the best. The '60s channel is just okay, in my opinion.

I don't know how people can stand regular radio.

I've had Sirius since the start, and I believe Sirius subscribers have the same worries as XM subscribers. I still feel like they should call the whole thing off.

• 5 weeks later...

From what I've heard (from an extremely reliable source with inside connections at XM), the plan is to not cut any channels from either service. It sounds like they plan on merging the playlists for channels that are the same format (so there will be one channel for each of the decades), and then keeping all the channels that are unique to each service. Supposedly they will also start broadcasting all of the channels over both systems, so regardless of whether your equipment is XM or Sirius, you should have the same channel lineup. I hear that the biggest debate is over some of the competing talent such as Opie and Anthony vs. Howard Stern, but that what will probably end up happening is that they both stay but are on different channels. If all this happens, I don't see much downside in the merger, because it would give subscribers access to all of the programming of both systems, without really eliminating any of the current programming. Again, this is still somewhat speculative, but it does come from a reliable source inside XM.

• 7 months later...
Supposedly they will also start broadcasting all of the channels over both systems, so regardless of whether your equipment is XM or Sirius, you should have the same channel lineup.

I'm not sure how this would be possible since there is only a finite amount of bandwidth available to each service, both services have pretty much used all that they have available, and with the exception of a very few very new radios, the hardware is not compatible from one service to the other (different compression algorithms and transmission standards).

I just don't see how the Govt. doesn't see this as a MONOPOLY !!!! I would be very leary of this NEW company, I since that Howard Stern's contract isn't gonna pay itself, and there will be an increase in price VERY soon.

Does the different hardware make it a different market than FM radio? It's still broadcast and tuned in to. I don't know enough about monopoly laws to judge one way or the other. But people do have different options on what to listen to in their car even after the merger.

Who is their competition?

Mostly the NAB, who lobbied the hardest against the merger. If satellite radio wasn't competing with terrestrial radio, why would they have spent so much money trying to stop this? Then there's CDs, MP3 players, internet radio, and every other audio content delivery system out there.

What do you listen to?

I just don't see how the Govt. doesn't see this as a MONOPOLY !!!! I would be very leary of this NEW company, I since that Howard Stern's contract isn't gonna pay itself, and there will be an increase in price VERY soon.

Agreed. The US isn't exactly a leader in antitrust.

Mostly the NAB, who lobbied the hardest against the merger. If satellite radio wasn't competing with terrestrial radio, why would they have spent so much money trying to stop this? Then there's CDs, MP3 players, internet radio, and every other audio content delivery system out there.

What do you listen to?

Sirius for the NFL.

• 2 months later...
For those of you who have after-market satellite radios, what radio station do you use to tune in your satellite? I'm having great difficulty finding a clear channel.

There's a web site that lists open frequencies for different locations. Google for that.

I recently replaced by plug-n-play Starmate Replay with the TOY-SC1/SCC1 combo that plugs directly into the back of my head unit, so I don't worry about that stuff anymore.

I listen to 26,40,49,123, 165, as well as Radio Theater (on Sat. Nights).

I have it hard wired into my car and its almost always clear as a bell, even in downtown garages. last time I had static on the radio it was a global thing.

• 1 month later...

Archived