John O'Quinn Mansion In River Oaks

BenH

• 4 weeks later...
Police: John O'Quinn driving nearly twice the speed limit before fatal crash

The crash data computer in O'Quinn's Chevrolet Suburban revealed that he was driving between 76 and 79 mph just before the fatal impact on Oct. 29, said Capt. Bill Staney of the Houston Police Department's Vehicular Crimes Division. The data also showed that O'Quinn never applied his brakes, Staney said.

Crash investigators are still working to validate those numbers and the data, he said.

The speed limit in the 1900 block of Allen Parkway near Taft Street where O'Quinn and his assistant, Johnny Lee Cutliff, died, is 40 mph.

O'Quinn, 68, a recovering alcoholic, had no alcohol, stimulants or illegal drugs in his blood at the time of his death, according to a toxicology report released Monday. Cutliff, 56, who had worked for O'Quinn for about 30 years, also had no alcohol or illicit drugs in his system, reports show.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Police-John-OQuinn-driving-nearly-twice-the-speed-limit-before-fatal-crash-72618527.html

Practically every news article about O'Quinn's death has emphasized the 40 mph speed limit on Allen Parkway. 40 is too slow for that road if you have a car with halfway decent performance and handling, but 75-80 in bad weather, in a friggin' Suburban, is something I'd expect out of an 18-year-old with the absolute belief in invulnerability that comes with being that age. Or an adult with a really big pair, I guess. You may be able to beat law enforcement, but you're not going to beat physics.

Practically every news article about O'Quinn's death has emphasized the 40 mph speed limit on Allen Parkway. 40 is too slow for that road if you have a car with halfway decent performance and handling, but 75-80 in bad weather, in a friggin' Suburban, is something I'd expect out of an 18-year-old with the absolute belief in invulnerability that comes with being that age. Or an adult with a really big pair, I guess. You may be able to beat law enforcement, but you're not going to beat physics.

Don't worry. I see idiots like him all over town, driving like maniacs, every day. Ugh.

• The title was changed to John O'Quinn Mansion In River Oaks