El Real Tex-Mex At 1201 Westheimer Rd.

brunsonpark08

I was, thank goodness, mistaken.

The Houston Press has an article about the progress being made on the Tower Theater's renovation, along with a picture of the restored marquee. From the article:

"Sadly, no tenant is planned for the space. The [real estate company]representative merely stated that they were hoping the renovated marquee and exterior would attract a client..."

Keep your fingers crossed and your thinking caps on. Surely there's a business that's just right for this space.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was, thank goodness, mistaken.

The Houston Press has an article about the progress being made on the Tower Theater's renovation, along with a picture of the restored marquee. From the article:

"Sadly, no tenant is planned for the space. The [real estate company]representative merely stated that they were hoping the renovated marquee and exterior would attract a client..."

Keep your fingers crossed and your thinking caps on. Surely there's a business that's just right for this space.

Nice to see the owners are thinking like that. If it were Weingarten they would probably just tear it down.

• 1 month later...

Robb Walsh is a food critic at the Press.

Correction: Walsh was a food critic at the Press; he 'retired' a couple of months ago to live off his earnings as an author. Still, it's a pretty good bet the Press will give it a good review.

He's partnering with Bryan Caswell and Bill Floyd of Reef, Little Bigs and Stella Sola.

Should be interesting at least. Walsh has been one of the most fervent defenders of Tex-Mex as a distinct and worthy regional American cuisine, not just a bastard child of Mexican, against most of the food criticism world. I don't eat much Tex-Mex myself but I'll give it a try.

That is a huge space for a restaurant and parking is going to be a hassle.

• 5 months later...

Swamplot has an article on this:

http://swamplot.com/lard-almighty-tower-theatres-coming-attraction-is-grease-ii/2010-11-15/#more-23064

His twist seems to be "authenticity". He plans on using freshly renedered pork fat from the pork farms that, I think, are moving into the old McCains space. One of the comments says the pork fat is as healthy as olive oil. Don't know about that but I bet it's tasty.

Swamplot has an article on this:

http://swamplot.com/...-15/#more-23064

His twist seems to be "authenticity". He plans on using freshly renedered pork fat from the pork farms that, I think, are moving into the old McCains space. One of the comments says the pork fat is as healthy as olive oil. Don't know about that but I bet it's tasty.

Healthy, authentic Tex Mex? I don't think those go together.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There was a great article in yesterday's Chronicle about the new restaurant. (I can't find it on their terrible web site or I would post a link). It really sounds exciting. I hope they don't over do it and charge exorbitant prices. After all, it's Tex Mex and that's what makes Tex Mex so damn good is it's simplicity and low cost. I would think they would since they have to compete with other Tex Mex places nearby like El Tiempo and Chuy's.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the OP was right. Absolutely horrible. :rolleyes:

Yes, the gloomy, stale urine-ridden, street person dorm that was there was MUCH preferable. Let's all go over after it closes and have a pi** party in the name of conservation.

Edit: In no way do I condone micturition on private property other than my own.

Archived