El Real Tex-Mex At 1201 Westheimer Rd.

brunsonpark08

The Hollywood Video in Montrose is now closed. The beautiful Marquee facing Westheimer is stripped and the last great video store in Houston is gone. Thank the Lord we still have AV Plus on Waugh. I love going to a video store and browsing the aisles. Netflix is cold and Redbox is like getting a soda from a vending machine.

This city sucks. We lost two great renovations in a few months (the Alabama Bookstop and now Hollywood Video). With the recent loss of Mary's, Montrose is on the verge of falling to the yuppies. These losers have already killed Washington Avenue.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hollywood Video in Montrose is now closed. The beautiful Marquee facing Westheimer is stripped and the last great video store in Houston is gone. Thank the Lord we still have AV Plus on Waugh. I love going to a video store and browsing the aisles. Netflix is cold and Redbox is like getting a soda from a vending machine.

This city sucks. We lost two great renovations in a few months (the Alabama Bookstop and now Hollywood Video). With the recent loss of Mary's, Montrose is on the verge of falling to the yuppies. These losers have already killed Washington Avenue.

The loss of Hollywood Video was inevitable... I've always thought that there could be a better use for that building, but I guess any use is better than having it demo'd. The bigger concern for me is the high vacancy rates near Montrose/Westheimer. I think it will be quite some time before that immediate area is completely yuppified (if ever)

Was Washington Ave all that great before?

Change is inevitable. A hundred years ago, Montrose was a suburb of Houston with all the urban appeal of a place like Kingwood. In another hundred years, Montrose will be completely different than it is now. People who resist change are termed 'conservatives,' which is the opposite of the type of person who you apparently think should be occupying Montrose. There's some irony there.

The theater marquis has been half deconstructed with most the cladding off for 2-3 months now.

I didn't mention it because I figured most people knew and that it was probably just getting a face lift so nothing to be concerned about.

Doesnt seem like such a special building if nobody noticed it was half gone till it hit the news.

Was Washington Ave all that great before?

The Abyss, Pat & Pete's Bon Ton Room (now Pearl Bar), Club Hey Hey, Fabulous Satellite Lounge (now hair salon), Mary Jane's Fat Cat (now Pearl Bar), Rhythm Room (now Pandora Lounge), Rockefellers (now a wedding reception venue), Shimmy Shack (now Pearl Bar), The Vatican, Walter's on Washington (soon to be a Little Woodrow's).

I didn't even notice they were gone, that's how crappy the area round the marquee has looked for a very, very long time. I never understood why they didn't put their storefront on Westheimer. Sort of a moo point now....

Eh, and since when did yuppies not rent videos?

I didn't even notice they were gone, that's how crappy the area round the marquee has looked for a very, very long time. I never understood why they didn't put their storefront on Westheimer. Sort of a moo point now....

Eh, and since when did yuppies not rent videos?

Netflix and Redbox are gobbling up video stores.

Well putting it down to yuppie-zation is probably not entirely accurate. The area is attracting more families with children (try taking a couple of screaming kids down to browse videos) and older empty nesters, who would be less inclined to make the journey to a brick and mortar video store. If anything, yuppies out and about of an evening in their X3s would more likely to frequent a physical store than those other demographics. Anyway, for the convenience of Netflix and now Amazon VOD, it's hard for me to justify a trip to a video store.

I hope I sound hopeful-- when I ask if there is anything or any organization out there that might step up and rescue the Hollywood video? . . . . . . . . and maybe also make sure the Alabama theater remains with us?

when last springs "charette" was gathering information on what would improve the intersection of westheimer and montrose--there were a lot of us that suggested restoring the marque to be lit again at night---think how lovely that would have been.

I hope I sound hopeful-- when I ask if there is anything or any organization out there that might step up and rescue the Hollywood video? . . . . . . . . and maybe also make sure the Alabama theater remains with us?

when last springs "charette" was gathering information on what would improve the intersection of westheimer and montrose--there were a lot of us that suggested restoring the marque to be lit again at night---think how lovely that would have been.

You're right - restoring the facade and marquee would help make it a landmark.

I'm sorry to hear Hollywood closed, but as for blaming it on yuppies. "Yuppies"? C'mon, get real.

That strip of Westheimer has magically been transported to my own personal kingdom where I have limitless wealth and no-one to argue with me. Here's what I'd do

Find a tenant for the marquee building and incentivize its restoration and use as the front entrance

Find a tenant for Charlie's who will turn it into a lively restaraunt/bar a la Chuys

Knock down the strip mall and rebuild it with storefront windows in all the units and a zero foot setback (like the Montrose side is) and stick the parking behind. Move the Bookstop there. Move Mo Mong's there.

Introduce a sign ordinance and if Burger King and their ten foot sign don't comply boot them out

Knock down Mary's (it's going to happen anyway...)

Ban drive throughs on that corner

Find new tenants for Prive and the Mexican place...

I'm all for local colour but not when owners let a place go. I was a big supporter of restoring Wilshire Village but I'd take new construction any day over what it had been allowed to turn into. Dark, sparsely frequented places that are a shadow of their former selves - Charlies, Mary's - just bring a place further down.

And Chuy's is damn good at what it does....

Yeah, the sign is for the diner that was there a while back. Chances bought up the other two places. As far as I know it's pretty busy there on weekend nights (and it's one of only a handful or less lesbian bars in the area/city).

i'm out of town at the moment so i haven't actually seen if improvements are still going on--- but have a bit of info about ruggles --------the manager says YES it will reopen-- i had posted this earlier that the restaurant donated food (terrific food too) to the fundraiser Avondale took part in Oct 22--to benefit Houston Buyers Club---and la strada also donated great food--plus no mention of closing--i'm surprised that they are closing-- it's SRO at brunch time Saturdays---

now for a question----------again i want to sound hopeful----

do companies that do the "movie taverns" in suburban mall theaters ever consider urban theaters like the old tower theater??

i'm out of town at the moment so i haven't actually seen if improvements are still going on--- but have a bit of info about ruggles --------the manager says YES it will reopen-- i had posted this earlier that the restaurant donated food (terrific food too) to the fundraiser Avondale took part in Oct 22--to benefit Houston Buyers Club---and la strada also donated great food--plus no mention of closing--i'm surprised that they are closing-- it's SRO at brunch time Saturdays---

now for a question----------again i want to sound hopeful----

do companies that do the "movie taverns" in suburban mall theaters ever consider urban theaters like the old tower theater??

They damned well should, but the trouble with Tower Theater or the old Shepherd Bookstop theater is that is that its not nearly big enough for say a Movie Tavern or Alamo Drafthouse, with room for 1 screen at most. I agree though, Alamo Drafthouse come inside the Loop, Houston is not like Austin, your type of theater needs Inner Loopers.

The Hollywood Video in Montrose is now closed. The beautiful Marquee facing Westheimer is stripped and the last great video store in Houston is gone.

Late last week there was a small crane, and workers were removing metal panels that make up the 'tower' itself. Some of the stainless steel trim and the black decorations (terra-cotta?) that used to adorn the facade have also been removed. Since someone's taking the time to disassemble the decorative aspects of the building, can we assume that it's going to be reused in some other place?

What's up with the Ruggles? It seems like its constantly under construction, opening soon, hiring waitstaff, etc.

My understanding is that they suffered Ike damage, and were also doing a remodel. There was a news report a few weeks ago that Ruggles was nearly ready to reopen when they had a small fire.

They damned well should, but the trouble with Tower Theater or the old Shepherd Bookstop theater is that is that its not nearly big enough for say a Movie Tavern or Alamo Drafthouse, with room for 1 screen at most. I agree though, Alamo Drafthouse come inside the Loop, Houston is not like Austin, your type of theater needs Inner Loopers.

I'd like to point out the original Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin has only one (very, very small) screen. That business model worked wonders for them. Amazingly, if you can get people drunk while giving them something to look at, the screen's size or number really doesn't matter.

I'd like to point out the original Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin has only one (very, very small) screen. That business model worked wonders for them. Amazingly, if you can get people drunk while giving them something to look at, the screen's size or number really doesn't matter.

not to mention finding a movie ticket for under $10 is really hard these days, even if it is only $3 less than a 'normal' theater, it is cheaper, and you get to buy beer.

I'll pay for that experience every day.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to point out the original Alamo Drafthouse in downtown Austin has only one (very, very small) screen.

Had

The original on Colorado shut down back in 2007, IIRC. Its replacement has 2 screens.

I see your point but I doubt that someone looking to start up such a business would consider a single screen to be worthwhile. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

The Alamo's claim to fame IMO wasn't just serving beer. They also had good food that wasn't ridiculously priced, unusual films/videos and unusual events.

If that were the case then why has the Alamo at West Oaks Mall, more than 10 miles OUTSIDE the loop, done so well for so long?

Archived