1 photo every 15 minutes, every day - downtown houston

customminds

I spent a while planning this out and it seems to be working. Critiques welcome!!

Basically 1 Nikon camera tethered to a computer, updating a scene of downtown houston every 15 minutes all day, every day.

Here's the link;

http://www.customminds.com/texascityscape/

-----------------------------------

Problems I am experiencing;

I am shooting through a thick glass, so there is a bit of ghosting in specific areas.

The camera auto settings are causing white balance issues and bleaching / too much darkening over the course of a day.

due to my batch processing, i have to delete the photo before reposting the new one. a 2 second delay between picture posts can be noticed if you hit refresh at the right time.

-----------------------------------

Benefits of this format;

In my opinion it seems to be better than normal webcam updates. With unlimited bandwidth you can technically post a 20 megapixel image of ____ at intervals on the fly.

Rock on! So it's basically a webcam that updates every 15 minutes right? Nice view you've got there. I think we're neighbors too!

One request.. maybe you could put a time stamp on each image. That way we could know how recent the image we were seeing is.

This is the best Houston webcam by far!

The light trails on the 288 look cool at night and I can almost see my apartment from there!

Anybody who uses a Mac should try my dashboard widget Slothcam and add the webcam's photo URL, that way you can see a live image of downtown Houston every time you open your Dashboard!

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/webcams/slothcam.html

Thanks everyone!

Each photo updates on either the hour, 15 past the hour, 30 past the hour or 45 past the hour.

Technically, the photos are taken about 2 minutes until the posting time, then posting is initiated 1 minute before the quarter hour interval to ensure a new image is available right at the quarter hour mark. This 2 minute lee-way ensures the-30 second shutter on night images get uploaded.

Thanks for the link JAX. I will have to try out your slothcam. (please don't destroy my bandwidth with it) :-)

while the camera is basically a webcam, its actually a nikon tethered to a computer. I guess i can find a way to timestamp and date the image (as most off the shelf webcams would do) via a script. This will take more research and time. Have a few albums to work on between now and then. I'll try and keep with it.

thanks again everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived