White Oak & Houston Avenue Construction?

The street address is 2520 Houston Ave. The owner is Licata Construction, which looks like it's owned by someone on Wroxton. The building permits list the business as "Houston Ave. Bar".

The property was listed recently at $1.5 million. I always heard that lot floods pretty bad - but I've never been able to get close enough during a flood to see it. Maybe a second story would be high enough to stay above the water?

Looks like there has been a business at that location since at least around 1913, which isn't surprising. Business names I saw included Pardo Tire (in a leaking underground storage tank database list - King Biscuit was listed, too), and White Oak Marine (in the 70's). I didn't look at the old city directories, but I may later. Seems like it would have been an historically significant location. I know that the area just to the south that is now park land was.

Edited by tmariar

The property was listed recently at $1.5 million. I always heard that lot floods pretty bad - but I've never been able to get close enough during a flood to see it. Maybe a second story would be high enough to stay above the water?

Yeah, that's the intersection where they had to rescue some handicapped kids and their driver from a school bus during the March '92 flood. Nine years later, Allison made it look like this.

Here's a view of Houston Ave/White Oak the afternoon after Ike came through so water level was down maybe 3 or 4 feet from peak.

They will certainly want to consider a these high water events at that location.

post-4792-12579572897477_thumb.jpg

Looks like there has been a business at that location since at least around 1913, which isn't surprising. Business names I saw included Pardo Tire (in a leaking underground storage tank database list - King Biscuit was listed, too), and White Oak Marine (in the 70's). I didn't look at the old city directories, but I may later. Seems like it would have been an historically significant location. I know that the area just to the south that is now park land was.

Seems White Oak Marine might have been the only appropriate business for the property.

According to NOAA any time White Oak Bayou goes above 36 feet everyone on that little section of White Oak Drive is in big trouble. This has happened ten times since 1929.

Historical Crests

(1) 51.50 ft on 12/09/1935

(2) 50.43 ft on 03/04/1992 bus rescue

(3) 47.06 ft on 09/11/1998 Frances

(4) 47.00 ft on 05/31/1929

(5) 46.00 ft on 09/14/2008 Ike

(6) 44.84 ft on 06/26/1989 Allison I

(7) 44.27 ft on 09/13/2008 Ike

(8) 43.60 ft on 11/13/1961

(9) 43.50 ft on 05/20/1972

(10) 41.77 ft on 06/09/2001 Allison the Terrible