"Drill Here Dill Now" Bumper Sticker

plumber2

Okay, I usually don't post comments like this but today I just have to. Parked next to me in a parking lot was a Toyota 4Runner with a "Drill Here Drill Now" bumper sticker on it. What, do this person want? All of the domestic oil he wants to power his foreign made car?

Okay, I usually don't post comments like this but today I just have to. Parked next to me in a parking lot was a Toyota 4Runner with a "Drill Here Drill Now" bumper sticker on it. What, do this person want? All of the domestic oil he wants to power his foreign made car?

Someone should take a power drill to the bumper where the bumper sticker is covering it. If you get caught, just say "hey, it's said to drill there and drill now, so I did!" :lol:

Someone should take a power drill to the bumper where the bumper sticker is covering it. If you get caught, just say "hey, it's said to drill there and drill now, so I did!" :lol:

Who cares where his car is from? He just wants cheaper fuel, which he thinks can be found by drilling more domestically. That's the point of that sticker.

Perhaps if his sticker said: "Buy ONLY Domestic Fuel", then it could be considered hypocritical.

Ha - today I saw a mega-F350395683853-truck with a bumper sticker that read, "This truck runs on fuel not hope and change." :blink:

I think that sticker refers to the black woman on youtube that said Obama was going to pay all her bills.

You do realize that by starting a thread with a make and model of car mentioned in the first post, you've created media content that Toyota will use as a vehicle to advertise to anybody who views this thread ever again, right? As is the case with the broader automotive union movement, you're undermining your own objectives.

Btw, your two-dimensional reasoning and poor grammatical skills remind me of one of the great South Park memes of all time. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLni3wbndls

^ Said ribbons were attached to a gas guzzler during our occupation of a foreign country to secure it's oil. Both it and the "drill..." sticker have to do with influencing national policy in order to support the advertiser's oil addiction.

You talk about hysteria in another thread, this post this here.

The yellow ribbons are to show support for those in the armed-services. They volunteered to serve - that's it. They don't get to choose their battles. Don't try and look beyond the show of support of a soldier to find some hidden political agenda. Don't be that person.

^ Said ribbons were attached to a gas guzzler during our occupation of a foreign country to secure it's oil. Both it and the "drill..." sticker have to do with influencing national policy in order to support the advertiser's oil addiction.

The slogan "Support Our Troops" is meant to be interpreted literally and is one of the very few messages that has been adopted by both political parties out of appreciation for the volunteers that put their lives at risk for a cause that is bigger than them and bigger than any single war that's ever been fought (whatever the reason and regardless of who's the commander-in-chief).

I suppose that you'd be more inclined to spit on veterans as they return home, as was common in the 70's?

You talk about hysteria in another thread, this post this here.

The yellow ribbons are to show support for those in the armed-services. They volunteered to serve - that's it. They don't get to choose their battles. Don't try and look beyond the show of support of a soldier to find some hidden political agenda. Don't be that person.

So you don't see any irony in claiming support for our troops from the safe luxury of your expensive gas guzzler? How about putting a "Greenpeace" sticker on the back of the same gas guzzler?

The slogan "Support Our Troops" is meant to be interpreted literally and is one of the very few messages that has been adopted by both political parties out of appreciation for the volunteers that put their lives at risk for a cause that is bigger than them and bigger than any single war that's ever been fought (whatever the reason and regardless of who's the commander-in-chief).

Does wearing an American flag lapel pin make one person more American than the guy not wearing one? Do not actions speak louder than empty gestures bought at the gas station?

I suppose that you'd be more inclined to spit on veterans as they return home, as was common in the 70's?

That's just stupid and insulting.

Huh? :blink:

So you don't see any irony in claiming support for our troops from the safe luxury of your expensive gas guzzler? How about putting a "Greenpeace" sticker on the back of the same gas guzzler?

No, I don't. I don't know about you, or the next guy - but I have a yellow ribbon magnet on my gas guzzling V8 truck because I support the troops. I don't support the war in Iraq, but I do support the efforts in Afghanistan. The yellow ribbon has nothing to do with which military actions I favor, but that I support the troops that volunteer to serve under any administration that would order them to soldier in those military actions - as long as they serve honorably.

The magnet is there not to remind me that I support them, but to remind others that they need our continued support. I NEVER want to experience a world like the one my father returned to after the Vietnam war.

I get the point of your thread. I just disagree with your view on the matter. Are there a select few that are supporting the troops because they want U.S. superiority in a conflict that involves access and control of an asset that benefits them directly? Sure. But is that the purpose of the yellow ribbon magnet? No.

Does wearing an American flag lapel pin make one person more American than the guy not wearing one? Do not actions speak louder than empty gestures bought at the gas station?

You're asking the wrong guy. I could care less about vapid flag-waving. It's meaning is whatever an individual ascribes to it, which--to me--conjures up images of devisiveness, empty rhetoric, nationalism, unimaginative partisan bickering, fictional virtue, and baseless pride.

(Not coincidentally, these are just the sort of observations that've caused me to back away from HAIF, even after things were resolved between Red, Editor and myself. I'd had a couple weeks to just lurk and watch the crap spew forth from your collective mouths, and from the spectator's perspective its gotten to be about as shallow, childish, predictable, and frustrating as watching FoxNews, listening to NPR, or reading the Chron forums.)

In contrast to an ill-defined symbol, "Support Our Troops" is a slogan to be taken literally, regardless of the politicians (who are by law, NOT members of the military) that have set controversial military policies. And when it comes down to it, our all-volunteer servicemembers perform incredibly stressful and demanding jobs so that YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

You're asking the wrong guy. I could care less about vapid flag-waving. It's meaning is whatever an individual ascribes to it, which--to me--conjures up images of devisiveness, empty rhetoric, nationalism, unimaginative partisan bickering, fictional virtue, and baseless pride.

In contrast to an ill-defined symbol, "Support Our Troops" is a slogan to be taken literally, regardless of the politicians (who are by law, NOT members of the military) that have set controversial military policies. And when it comes down to it, our all-volunteer servicemembers perform incredibly stressful and demanding jobs so that YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

I'm clearly not arguing that point. Everyone should support our troops for the work they do, regardless of whether you agree with the leadership that tosses them into harm's way. I had hoped that was obvious, but apparently not. I wasn't around during the Vietnam war, so the idea that people would dish hate on the troops themselves is foreign to me.

The irony is that, at least in my observation, the majority of vehicles wearing the "support our troops" magnets are/were pricy gas guzzlers. To me, this is very emblematic of why we invaded Iraq - to secure oil supplies to allow said gas guzzlers. That's it. Read more into it if you want, but I don't see why such a simple observation deserves so much O'Reilly-style rhetoric.

(Not coincidentally, these are just the sort of observations that've caused me to back away from HAIF, even after things were resolved between Red, Editor and myself. I'd had a couple weeks to just lurk and watch the crap spew forth from your collective mouths, and from the spectator's perspective its gotten to be about as shallow, childish, predictable, and frustrating as watching FoxNews, listening to NPR, or reading the Chron forums.)

Interesting. It seemed like a rational observation which could be discussed by a mature audience. Jeebus made a good and valid counterpoint, without making accusations that I want to "spit on veterans as they return home." Who is spewing the crap and making accusations?

could be worse and have the sticker on a Tahoe or a Suburban ..... I guess Hummer doesn't count now that it is Chinese :-)

No, I don't. I don't know about you, or the next guy - but I have a yellow ribbon magnet on my gas guzzling V8 truck because I support the troops. I don't support the war in Iraq, but I do support the efforts in Afghanistan. The yellow ribbon has nothing to do with which military actions I favor, but that I support the troops that volunteer to serve under any administration that would order them to soldier in those military actions - as long as they serve honorably.

The magnet is there not to remind me that I support them, but to remind others that they need our continued support. I NEVER want to experience a world like the one my father returned to after the Vietnam war.

I get the point of your thread. I just disagree with your view on the matter. Are there a select few that are supporting the troops because they want U.S. superiority in a conflict that involves access and control of an asset that benefits them directly? Sure. But is that the purpose of the yellow ribbon magnet? No.

Okay, good points. I was thinking in context of the Iraq invasion, but I suppose it's not valid in the context of Afghanistan and the fading occupation of Iraq.

He's got to pay for gas no matter what he's driving. Now if he had a "Remember Pearl Harbor" sticker on his Toyota then yes, I would think it a little out of place. 

I wasn't around during the Vietnam war, so the idea that people would dish hate on the troops themselves is foreign to me.

It's all Donovan's fault with his song "Universal Soldier." Well... maybe not his fault so much as it was emblematic of the reason protesters blamed soldiers. His reasoning, and the reasoning of many other people from the period, was there would be no wars, and nothing worth fighting for on grand global scales if there were no soldiers. Politicians could bluster all they wanted, but if there was no one to actually pull the trigger, there would be no fight. It was an incredibly optimistic though laughably naive and unrealistic ideal, but that's where the anti-soldier anger came from in those days. We're considerably more cynical now, and we're not so infantile as to think warfare will simply disappear if we got rid of our military. That's why it's pretty much a given that we all support the troops now. We realize they're necessary, and we personally don't want to be out there doing the heavy lifting, but we can also wholeheartedly disagree with the fight they're fighting.

He's got to pay for gas no matter what he's driving. Now if he had a "Remember Pearl Harbor" sticker on his Toyota then yes, I would think it a little out of place.

Unless it was a Toyota Tundra, which was most probably built in San Antonio. Now what would be really out of place would be a "Remember the Alamo!" bumper sticker on anything built by GM.

Edit: Allegiances and loyalties were so much easier to nail down before the economy went global, huh?

Unless it was a Toyota Tundra, which was most probably built in San Antonio. Now what would be really out of place would be a "Remember the Alamo!" bumper sticker on anything built by GM.

Edit: Allegiances and loyalties were so much easier to nail down before the economy went global, huh?

LOLOLOL

True, but the automakers don't build factories in the U.S. out of loyalty or pride. They build them to receive massive state and local tax subsidies and for basic economic reasons. And even though the lines are blurred somewhat by the global economy, the vast majority of the high-paying white collar jobs and the profits typically reside in the automaker's home country.

True, but the automakers don't build factories in the U.S. out of loyalty or pride. They build them to receive massive state and local tax subsidies and for basic economic reasons. And even though the lines are blurred somewhat by the global economy, the vast majority of the high-paying white collar jobs and the profits typically reside in the automaker's home country.

Well... considering our automakers have been having a hard time with the profits things of late, and considering the white collar jobs have been consolidating and decreasing in number, I'd settle for some more blue collar jobs here in the states. If people aren't actually working, what good does it do to just collect taxes on corporate profits? More welfare?

Well... considering our automakers have been having a hard time with the profits things of late, and considering the white collar jobs have been consolidating and decreasing in number, I'd settle for some more blue collar jobs here in the states. If people aren't actually working, what good does it do to just collect taxes on corporate profits? More welfare?

Automakers around the globe have been dealing with hard times, including Toyota, which posted losses this year even after getting loans from an emergency fund set aside by the Japanese government. But regardless of profitability, there is a back-end network of domestic product managers, designers, accountants, third-party suppliers, etc., that make up a sizable piece of the American economy.

I'm not suggesting you ditch your Toyota or any other nameplate for an American nameplate. You should drive whatever works best for you - that's the benefit of the global economy and our free trade policies. But I don't think it's quite fair to argue that there's no difference economically between nameplates just because a foreign company has assembly lines in the U.S.

Automakers around the globe have been dealing with hard times, including Toyota, which posted losses this year even after getting loans from an emergency fund set aside by the Japanese government. But regardless of profitability, there is a back-end network of domestic product managers, designers, accountants, third-party suppliers, etc., that make up a sizable piece of the American economy.

I'm not suggesting you ditch your Toyota or any other nameplate for an American nameplate. You should drive whatever works best for you - that's the benefit of the global economy and our free trade policies. But I don't think it's quite fair to argue that there's no difference economically between nameplates just because a foreign company has assembly lines in the U.S.

That's not really what I was trying to say, but since you brought it up...

Given our current economic climate, with a 10%+ unemployment rate nationally, and with traditional manufacturing states rising close to 20%, what do you really consider to be most important, tangible employment or ephemeral economic heft? A GM or a Ford nameplate may benefit our GDP more than Toyota, but it does little to assuage the pain of unemployment. If Toyota operates factories here in greater numbers, ultimately employing more people than an American manufacturer, then I'd say they're more vitally important to our economy. Fat lot of good a larger tax base on corporate profits does if it's all consumed by individual welfare.

I think almost all of you have missed the point of the drill here drill now bumper sticker. Its not just about cheaper fuel prices here at home by utilizing our own resources. Its also about American jobs - When we import oil we receive nothing but that oil. We send our money over seas where it will do nothing for us. When we drill on American soil, not only do we get the oil, but we get the jobs and taxes that go with it. We also get the compounded effect of those jobs. The money that will be spent by those who are working by drilling our wells here will be used by them predominately here in the United States. It is a compounding positive effect.

The left is so worried about the environment and wrapped up in feeling good about themselves, they dont care at all about the damage that they are doing to the national economy. Several highly lucrative pipelines have been proposed and then scrapped because of the liberal left environmental nut jobs worried about the damage it would do. They dont care about the billions that the pipeline saves in transportation costs, or the billions that will circulate through the market as a result of the pipeline being installed and maintained, they dont even care about the tens of thousands of jobs that will be created for the duration of the project, or the hundreds maybe even thousands of jobs that will be permanently created. All they care about it is feeling good about themselves, and thinking that their environmental impact is smaller than their neighbors.

Being conscious of the environment is a good thing, but the liberal left has taken it way too far. Many of the greatest things about this country have been, and are being destroyed in the name of the environment. It makes me absolutely sick that Cuba has leased part of its offshore reserves to China. Its not like that oil sitting there has a barrier that prevents China from draining it from under OUR sea bed. It does not. The left has said we can not drill that oil. The left has said that its bad to drill there, I dont want to see an oil well when I look out my window at the beach. Well guess what lefty - your going to see an oil when you look at your window, but instead of that well benefiting this country, its going to benefit China and Cuba. We will have all the alleged negative effects of the well, but absolutely none of the positives.

And I can guarantee you one thing for sure. China is not going to be as environmentally conscious about they way they extract that oil as we do.

The drill here drill now is really a symbol of how stubborn, stupid, and backwards the left has become. This nation is being hogtied from being competitive with other countries so that a bunch of nuts can feel good about themselves. its sickening.

Drill Here Drill Now could also be considered a symbol of how stubborn, stupid, backwards, and MYOPIC the right has become. In a world of diminishing oil reserves , and where 90 percent of the world's remaining reserves are controlled by governments, the prudent and far-sighted American would seek to use other countries' oil, while conserving our own. By importing oil from other countries, and simultaneously developing technologies that conserve oil and maximize the limited reserves at our disposal, we would create an insurance policy against the inevitable use of foreign oil as ransom. The intelligent and pragmatic American would realize that the US consumes about 7.5 Billion barrels of oil per year, yet has only 21 to 31 Billion barrels of reserves (depending upon who you ask). If the foreign controlled oil were cut off, the US...even if it could pump all of that oil...would run out of reserves in 3 to 5 years.

This is the same mentality that preceded the Great Recession. Americans saved nothing, borrowed everything. Equity in one's home could be compared to oil reserves. Rather than conserve and boost that equity, many Americans took out home equity loans or refinanced to 100% of the home's value...effectively Drilling their home equity Here, Drilling their home equity Now. When lending (foreign oil) dried up, these Drill Here Drill Now home borrowers were foreclosed.

So, yeah, I guess I missed the point of the bumper sticker. I thought it was just an ignorant slogan showing support for an ignorant Vice Presedential candidate. The reality is that the bumper sticker reveals just how myopic Americans can be, just so that they can drive around in a big truck and play rancher.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/reserves.html

Archived