Houston mayor's race 2009

lockmat

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we are now starting into a new season of Who will be Houston's Mayor.

I see that Annise Parker is holding a rally in downtown in front of City Hall, right now.

(By the way I hear that she is Lebanese.)

Then there is Peter (Mr. Charisma) Brown, Gene Locke and Ben Hall (both laywers). Did you hear the one about What do you call the dumping of a lawyer in the ocean? - A start.

So who do choose?

Oh yeah, Annise had quite a rally at City Hall. I am sure you might see it on the news. She had a crowd of people standing behind her waving signs and cheering. The trouble is that she was speaking to a crowd of about 5 or 6 if you count the TV crew. There were a couple of folks trying to eat a peaceful lunch and a homeless guy wondering what the racket was all about at the reflecting pool but that is about all.

Good Lord. A Muslim President. Let me guess... don't think he was born here either?

And by the way... Lebanese isn't a religion.

I'll vote for White if he runs for Governor. Anything to prevent Perry or Hutchinson from getting in there. As far as Houston.... gee... what a long list of qualified people we have.... I have no clue who any of them are.

Let's see via Wikipedia.... won't go with Gene Locke because he is endorsed by P. Lee Brown... based on the picture... I'll go with the Lebanese woman.

What has Kathy "Tootsie" Whitmire been doing lately?

Living in Hawaii with her long blond hair and husband, last I heard.

I read on a blog the other day that after she was widowed, she and Gene Locke were romantically involved back then. mellow.gif

Living in Hawaii with her long blond hair and husband, last I heard.

I read on a blog the other day that after she was widowed, she and Gene Locke were romantically involved back then. mellow.gif

Wow, I know her first husband died before she got into politics. So she has buried two of them. She must be hard on them.

Wasn't there some story about Fred Hofheinz being busted wearing a dress?

Wow, I know her first husband died before she got into politics. So she has buried two of them. She must be hard on them.

Wasn't there some story about Fred Hofheinz being busted wearing a dress?

No, Gene Locke is running for mayor this time and they were never married. Therefore, he's not dead. As far as I know, her second husband is still alive and living with her in Hawaii. Where did you come up with two dead husbands??

I remember the dress story somewhat, but what I really remember was Louie Welch's comment. When asked how he would combat AIDS, his answer was "Shoot the Queers". He did not know the camera was on. T-Shirts were made up immediately that read "Louie, Don't Shoot!". The 80's were a trip, politically.

No, Gene Locke is running for mayor this time and they were never married. Therefore, he's not dead. As far as I know, her second husband is still alive and living with her in Hawaii. Where did you come up with two dead husbands??

I remember the dress story somewhat, but what I really remember was Louie Welch's comment. When asked how he would combat AIDS, his answer was "Shoot the Queers". He did not know the camera was on. T-Shirts were made up immediately that read "Louie, Don't Shoot!". The 80's were a trip, politically.

Kathy Whitmire's first husband was Jim Whitmire. He died in 1976.

I see that Annise Parker is holding a rally in downtown in front of City Hall, right now.

Then there is Peter (Mr. Charisma) Brown, Gene Locke and Ben Hall (both laywers). Did you hear the one about What do you call the dumping of a lawyer in the ocean? - A start.

So who do choose?

benjamin hall is not running for mayor. roy morales is another candidate.

if you go to a debate or two, i'm sure you'll be disappointed at our choices. I've been to three debates now and gene locke was the clear leader. it really surprised me that a veteran like annise parker repeatly answered questions with "i agree with mr locke" instead of responding to the question.

So who do choose?

Does it actually matter if she is Lebanese? Or if she's a lesbian for that matter? I don't see how either would affect her qualification to be mayor.

if you go to a debate or two, i'm sure you'll be disappointed at our choices. I've been to three debates now and gene locke was the clear leader. it really surprised me that a veteran like annise parker repeatly answered questions with "i agree with mr locke" instead of responding to the question.

I watched a program on Channel 8 some months back with Mr. Brown, Ms. Parker and Mr. Locke.

Gene Locke appeared to be the only one capable of forming complete sentences, let alone complete thoughts.

I was surprised by Parker as well...I had assumed she was a much more polished candidate.

Brown, in my opinion, is well-intentioned, but not very practical.

I need to do some more research, but if I had to pick right now it would be Gene Locke.

He's an attorney, so certainly he's got the public speaking advantage. Kathy Whitmire was not a really good public speaker (shaky voice) but in my time in Houston, she's at the top as one of our best mayors, along with Bill White. Both had/have a more urban approach to solving our problems rather than the good-ole-boy attitude. Bob Lanier's endorsement adds nothing for me. He was a good mayor, I suppose, but I think he held us back on public transportation among other things.

I'm not decided yet and I'm eager for the election season to begin. I don't think her lesbianism will be an issue, whereas I don't think Gene's blackness will either. He just said on CH2! that it would not be an issue in his campaign. And, she's never said "I'm a lezbo, pick me". We need the best qualified and I can't wait to analyze their platforms.

Something about the architect dude (Peter Brown) turns me off. How has he performed as a council member?

He's an attorney, so certainly he's got the public speaking advantage. Kathy Whitmire was not a really good public speaker (shaky voice) but in my time in Houston, she's at the top as one of our best mayors, along with Bill White. Both had/have a more urban approach to solving our problems rather than the good-ole-boy attitude. Bob Lanier's endorsement adds nothing for me. He was a good mayor, I suppose, but I think he held us back on public transportation among other things.

I'm not decided yet and I'm eager for the election season to begin. I don't think her lesbianism will be an issue, whereas I don't think Gene's blackness will either. He just said on CH2! that it would not be an issue in his campaign. And, she's never said "I'm a lezbo, pick me". We need the best qualified and I can't wait to analyze their platforms.

Something about the architect dude (Peter Brown) turns me off. How has he performed as a council member?

Peter Brown is a doddering dilettante who needs to stick to his regular social life over in West U.

Peter Brown is a doddering dilettante who needs to stick to his regular social life over in West U.

That's kind of my impression too, even though I don't know what that big word means.

Whew, my drink is strong.

So everyone is clear, Gene Locke was an attorney on METRO's payroll and part of Bob Lanier's anti-transit administration.

Why Annise Parker isn't making an issue of this, I just don't get it.

that's what makes this so frustrating. this is the worst slate of mayoral candidates we've had in a long time and a veteran politician like annise should know how to exploit it. crunch go listen to her debate and it is an eyeopening experience. she is not a leader.

What has Kathy "Tootsie" Whitmire been doing lately?

...god... I can't resist...

houwho02489.jpg

tootsie.jpg

Does it actually matter if she is Lebanese? Or if she's a lesbian for that matter? I don't see how either would affect her qualification to be mayor.

...as it becomes more widely known that she is the gay... it's going to matter. It is going to be difficult for her to win, in this city.

...as it becomes more widely known that she is the gay... it's going to matter. It is going to be difficult for her to win, in this city.

She's won six elections since 1997 while being openly gay, and it has yet to become an issue. If the conservative suburban voters had a say, then it might make things difficult, but I don't think it will raise any eyebrows in Houston so long as the Democratic machine is behind her.

that's what makes this so frustrating. this is the worst slate of mayoral candidates we've had in a long time and a veteran politician like annise should know how to exploit it. crunch go listen to her debate and it is an eyeopening experience. she is not a leader.

I heard them debate last night. Both Parker and Locke were really good. Parker is a little in Locke-stephappy.gif , music, but she was very articulate on specifics. Locke is by far the smoothest of all.

Brown and Morales could have done better. However, they came to the debate anyway.

Archived