Richard Moe announces retirement

sevfiv

Dear Friends:

This afternoon I announced to the staff of the National Trust for Historic Preservation that I will be retiring next year, and I want to share that news with all of you as well. It is a decision I have arrived at in recent months because I have concluded it is time for the National Trust as well as time for me. Every organization from time to time needs to revitalize itself by seeking a generational change of leadership to take it to a new level. After 17 years in this position, I believe this is such a time for the Trust.

It has been a wonderful time for me, really the best professional experience I have ever had, and I feel so privileged and so grateful to have had the opportunity. The thing I feel best about is the quality of work we have been able to do together and of course the friendships that I have been fortunate enough to develop with so many talented and dedicated people. I believe we have made a real difference in communities and at historic places all over the country, and I hope you share my pride in that fact.

I have told the Board of Trustees that I will stay until a successor is chosen, and that will most likely be sometime next spring. Chairman Cliff Hudson has established a search committee to conduct a national search for the position. My highest priority in these next months is to do everything possible to ensure the smoothest possible transition.

None of what we have done over the years could have been done without your generous and consistent support. I can’t tell you what that means to me and indeed to all of us. With the Trust now about to move to even higher aspirations, I hope you will continue to help us get there. Thank you!

All the best.

Richard Moe

http://www.preservationnation.org/about-us/press-center/fact-sheets-and-reports/RM-Letter-to-Friends.pdf

New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/arts/design/04arts-ATTHENATIONA_BRF.html

Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/03/AR2009110302278.html

• 9 months later...

From Richard Moe:

Dear Friend,

Greetings from Colorado. It’s hard to believe that two months have passed since my retirement from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, but the western landscape and its many historic places have kept me busy, and inspired.

Join me in welcoming Stephanie Meeks, the eighth president of the National Trust.

In June, not long after I headed West, I returned to Washington, DC to personally introduce to our staff Stephanie Meeks, the eighth President of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. She is in her second full month at the National Trust where she is off to a great start and where she has been warmly received. It's a great pleasure to be able to introduce her to you now.

The Board of Trustees did an outstanding job in selecting Stephanie to lead the preservation movement at this critical time. I have known her for years and I could not be more pleased that she is my successor as president. She brings the perfect combination of talents and experiences to the task, and as a long time member of the National Trust she is passionate about the mission. With all of this, I am confident she will advance the movement to new levels, particularly around sustainability and economic development – issues critical to our work in the 21st century. She deeply shares our preservation values, and my work with her in the early days of transition has further convinced me that, with your continued support, she will lead this great organization to new heights.

To learn more about Stephanie, her background and some of her early thoughts after just a little more than a month on the job, please visit http://www.preservationnation.org/meet-stephanie. I’m sure you’ll agree that she’s a quick study – and that with her leadership, the National Trust will make significant achievements in the fight to protect places that matter to all of us.

Once again, I am enormously grateful for the support you gave me and the National Trust over the years, and I now ask everyone in the preservation family to give Stephanie the same kind of support, and more. The need is greater than ever, and so is the potential for saving historic places and revitalizing communities.

Warmest regards and best wishes for your summer.

Sincerely,

Richard Moe

President Emeritus

Archived