Replacing metal columns

sevfiv

My house has two columns that I am interested in replacing. One, where is a good place to look for appropriate replacements and two, what is the best way to go about DIY? Or maybe it would just be easier to build around the existing ones (maybe matching the brick that is on the house)?

The current ones are like these:

2088kcw.jpg

and I'd like something along the lines of these:

1z5tezq.jpg

Thanks - looks like I'd have to go this route since I can't find anything already made.

The current two columns are 8' x 9.5" x 1" and while I thought they were necessary/load bearing, the match I *thought* I found (and knowing the previous owners, it would be this one since it is the cheapest available) says it is decorative only.

Anyone know how to quickly determine whether the eave will collapse if I yank them out? :)

The more I think about it, I seriously doubt the eave needs them (but then why would they spend the $ to replace what was originally there? I can tell where the previous columns were attached).

Thanks - looks like I'd have to go this route since I can't find anything already made.

The current two columns are 8' x 9.5" x 1" and while I thought they were necessary/load bearing, the match I *thought* I found (and knowing the previous owners, it would be this one since it is the cheapest available) says it is decorative only.

Anyone know how to quickly determine whether the eave will collapse if I yank them out? :)

The more I think about it, I seriously doubt the eave needs them (but then why would they spend the $ to replace what was originally there? I can tell where the previous columns were attached).

Over time, everthing would sag (happens in buildings and people.haha) . Wood needs a little support of the end of a long run. I would replace them with 3 in tubing. Just a round pole with a 3x4 plate welded on each end.

Archived