Holes through the exterior walls

Unsure WHY Directv never uses pre-wired co-ax (at least inner loop townhomes), but anyway...

I am removing the myriad wires from the outside. The installer squirted tiny amounts of silicon in the outside of the holes, most of which is just sitting in the holes (not sealing it).

Some go through brick, some go through siding.

What's the best way to seal these permanently once I pull the co-ax wires out?

Unsure WHY Directv never uses pre-wired co-ax (at least inner loop townhomes), but anyway...

I am removing the myriad wires from the outside. The installer squirted tiny amounts of silicon in the outside of the holes, most of which is just sitting in the holes (not sealing it).

Some go through brick, some go through siding.

What's the best way to seal these permanently once I pull the co-ax wires out?

Silicone. And then in the inside, joint compound, finish, sand, and paint to match...

Also... during installation of TV service... at my house... they are FORBIDDEN to run coax on the outside of my home. They WILL use what is already installed. If they refuse, they are prompt shown the door.

I have never had any problems. But I have been using cable, comcast, time warner...

Silicone. And then in the inside, joint compound, finish, sand, and paint to match...

Also... during installation of TV service... at my house... they are FORBIDDEN to run coax on the outside of my home. They WILL use what is already installed. If they refuse, they are prompt shown the door.

I have never had any problems. But I have been using cable, comcast, time warner...

I don't get it, especially when the home is pre-wired. We use AT&T. It seems Directv does outside runs on a LOT of homes around where we live. I'm working on cleaning up the eyesore from the previous owner :)

• 3 months later...

I've seen Directv do some goofy crap on even pre-wired homes. Installers are usually independent guys, just depends on who shows up. I live in a group of 6 townhomes and 3 have Directv, including myself. They put the dish in the backyard on posts for the other two houses and ran wires punched holes all over the exterior even though the houses are pre-wired in the attic.

I knew that the dish had to go on the roof (not easy, very tall) to reach all the wiring. The guy who came out to do mine asked if he was the first installer they sent. I said no and he replied that he's usually the third guy sent out to jobs and fixes all the difficult jobs. He put my dish on the roof, no problems. I was very surprised that it didn't sail off like a kite during Ike, LOL. I even go great reception all through the storm until I lost power. biggrin.gif

Using all new coax instead of joining the existing prewiring is a CYA thing. They would rather use their own new wire than risk that there is a problem with the pre-existing coax. Worse case scenario would be for them to have to return to your house multiple times and get into a finger pointing exercise about where the problem is or what's the cause of any substandard reception problem.

Running the new coax on the outside and punching holes in the walls is simply economics, it's the fastest way to get the job done. Part of the blame for that mentality is corporate greed, but we also have to blame the modern Walmart mentality of the consumer who is over concerned with getting the lowest possible price without considering all of the negative effects that this drive to rock bottom prices inevitably causes: poor quality, lack of pride in workmanship, reduced longevity, lack of asthetics, etc. But I digress.

I guess what I mean is they offer free installation so they're going to do it the easiest way possible.

Archived