Google Satellite Imagery Updates

flipper

http://maps.live.com is awesome

Zoom around and post cool stuff!

Here's one: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...2&encType=1

flipper

Someone find a bigger swimming pool:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

I used to drive by that first house all the time when it was under construction a few years back. It was being built for one of the Enron guys I believe (the one that railroaded his bosses when he and his wife turned states).

That pool is part of a club house/community center I believe.

The first one is definitely the Fertitta house (I guess you can use the term loosely). The second one is also someone's house, there are no community centers in that part of River Oaks. There are still some pretty big chunks of land back in there. For instance the Menil house is on 3 1/2 acres, somewhere in River Oaks is still an estate with about 7 acres. I remember reading that in the days before the River Oaks Country Club Tennis Center was big enough, some of the matches were played at this residence.

That 2nd property with the large pool is owned by Gene Van Dyke - and it is residential property. HCAD labels the large pool a "pond" and there is a smaller pool behind the house, you can see it better if you look at the property from the north.

Edited by cla

Where you guys been? I've been doing birds-eye caps from maps.live.com (formerly Windows Live Local) for about the last 18 months! In recent months they have added lots more birds-eye areas (Pearland, Lake Jackson, etc.) Still not Sugar Land. :-\

The house and grounds shown in this picture is the famous John Staub house for Hugh Roy Cullen. It was extensively remodeled and re-landscaped (including the sunken pool terrace) by the James Flores family in the early 2000s after they bought it from Lynn and Oscar Wyatt. It is spectacular -- I went to a Christmas party there once and there were thousands of tiny light bulbs dangling in the trees.

Edited by marmer

That 2nd property with the large pool is owned by Gene Van Dyke - and it is residential property. HCAD labels the large pool a "pond" and there is a smaller pool behind the house, you can see it better if you look at the property from the north.

My wife attended a wedding reception there last year. I was kicking myself later for not going with her, as she said the house was incredible.

I can confirm this. I keep Firefox on my Mac just for maps.live.com. Firefox works fine, Safari doesn't work at all for maps.live.com

If you can get to a PC there's a cute 3D rendering engine for Windows that works with live.com and shows pretty impressive downtown views.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I went to look at the Google Street View of downtown Houston today and to my surprise, many of the streets were missing. Now it just seems to include some street corners but not much else. Google Street View used to cover all of Downtown very well. Any idea what's going on? Why did they remove so much of it?

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9346/streetview.jpg

Usually when that happens they just block out faces, not remove entire blocks.

There are more people walking around in NYC and San Francisco and the image quality is better in those cities too, and yet they cover the entire cities. Weird that much of Houston was removed.

Usually when that happens they just block out faces, not remove entire blocks.

There are more people walking around in NYC and San Francisco and the image quality is better in those cities too, and yet they cover the entire cities. Weird that much of Houston was removed.

It seems to be just downtown too. The rest of Houston is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...