Need NYC hotel

sarahiki

Upper West Side try The Lucerne Hotel - 201 West 79th midrange and $200-250. It is New York.

Midtown try Park South Hotel - 122 East 28th St. $250-280.

You'll probably find cheaper but as you say you get in diver territory.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitions of seedy vary so much. I stayed in a place that I found perfectly fine, but I have no doubt some would call it seedy.

You could always try a hostel. I stayed at one for a week back in may, The Village Inn, it wasn't seedy. Was like $41 dollars a night or so. It was a great place and great location in the east village. Not exactly a place for privacy cause you share your room with up to 5 other people but there are lockers and they keep the upkeep very well. Most who go there are forigners from europe so it makes for interesting conversations. I plan to use it again the next time i visit NYC. And its right around the block from the green and yellow lines. And a 24hr Rays pizza place sits on the corner :D Another great feature is the new Cooper Union Bldg is right there too, good architecture imo. Only catch is you need a passport to stay there but you cant beat the prices for Manhattan, you'd save more money staying there and have enough to spend on other things.

I stayed at the Edison just off Times Square in the 80's. It was clean and reasonable but not fancy. It is right next door to the then Edison Theatre where Oh Calcutta, the nude musical, was playing back in the 70s and 80s. Looks like they're still there, and in the $250-$260 range. If you want to be right there in the Times Square area that looks like a good choice. Hotel Edison

Archived