White House War On Fox News

Marksmu

Isnt this exactly what the mainstream media does every day? If she is not racist, then neither is Rush Limbaugh. Rush Limbaugh explained ALL of his statements that he actually made (cant explain the ones the left made up to smear him). Yet there was perceived racial overtones/bias even though it was not there. There was a virtual lynch mob against him, even though he never uttered a single derogatory statement.

Let's see if you can spot the difference:

http://newsone.com/obama/top-10-racist-limbaugh-quotes/

Read the citations for those quotes if they begin to sound too much like something "the left made up to smear him."

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be naive here because I am completely unaware of any racial tone at all at the statement call a spade a spade. A google search shows that its origins were not in race either

is NOT an ethnic slur.

It derives from an ancient Greek expression: "ta syka syka, te:n

skaphe:n de skaphe:n onomasein" = "to call a fig a fig, a trough a

trough". This is first recorded in Aristophanes' play "The Clouds"

(423 B.C.), was used by Menander and Plutarch, and is still current

in modern Greek. There has been a slight shift in meaning: in

ancient times the phrase was often used pejoratively, to denote a

rude person who spoke his mind tactlessly; but it now, like the

English phrase, has an exclusively positive connotation. It is

possible that both the fig and the trough were originally sexual

symbols.

In the Renaissance, Erasmus confused Plutarch's "trough"

("skaphe:") with the Greek word for "digging tool" ("skapheion";

the two words are etymologically connected, a trough being

something that is hollowed out) and rendered it in Latin as "ligo".

Thence it was translated into English in 1542 by Nicholas Udall in

his translation of Erasmus's version as "to call a spade [...] a

spade". ("Bartlett's Familiar Quotations" perpetuates Erasmus'

error by mistranslating "skaphe:" as "spade" three times under

Menander.)

"To call a spade a bloody shovel" is not recorded until 1919.

"Spade" in the sense of "Negro" is not recorded until 1928. (It

comes from the colour of the playing card symbol, via the phrase

"black as the ace of spades".)

Some people find intentional ignorance frustrating or infuriating. I find it highly amusing.

Isnt this exactly what the mainstream media does every day? If she is not racist, then neither is Rush Limbaugh. Rush Limbaugh explained ALL of his statements that he actually made (cant explain the ones the left made up to smear him). Yet there was perceived racial overtones/bias even though it was not there. There was a virtual lynch mob against him, even though he never uttered a single derogatory statement.

I am doing to the left exactly what they are doing to the right - the difference is the left is ALLOWED to yell racism when they dont like what is being said, the right is not. Its a double standard, and I am going to call it out every time I see it because the only other place calling it out is FOX news, and you cant trust what they say, they are just a branch of the republican party, nothing but right wing propaganda.

If you mean mainstream media, like Fox, with its huge viewer base. Yes. Every day. Every minute of the day. They do what you do.

I find it particularly funny, and sad, how the wacko right doesn't include Fox as "mainstream" even though it has the largest viewer base - of all other networks combined. But not considered mainstream though, by those who watch it. I guess they cannot see the forest through all the trees.

It is the smaller, non-mainstream/former mainstream media (CNN, MSNBC, etc) that are more balanced in their reporting.

And I wouldn't be so quick to defend a man who take others hostage...

pigboy-jabba-steele.jpg

If you mean mainstream media, like Fox, with its huge viewer base. Yes. Every day. Every minute of the day. They do what you do.

I find it particularly funny, and sad, how the wacko right doesn't include Fox as "mainstream" even though it has the largest viewer base - of all other networks combined. But not considered mainstream though, by those who watch it. I guess they cannot see the forest through all the trees.

It is the smaller, non-mainstream/former mainstream media (CNN, MSNBC, etc) that are more balanced in their reporting.

And I wouldn't be so quick to defend a man who take others hostage...

pigboy-jabba-steele.jpg

Perhaps Marksmu and other Fox defenders are suggesting that the beliefs and opinions of Fox and its viewers are decidedly NOT mainstream. If such is the case, who are we to disagree?

No, not an ethnic slur, you're right. I'd make an attempt to explain to you the difference between ethnicity and race and skin color if I thought it would do any good, but...

I don't get what you're saying with this though. Are you saying that since people didn't start using the term to describe a "Negro" (more than enough ammo with that alone!) until 1938, it's usage is harmless? I believe there might be a few fellas in the Fifth Ward who might tend to disagree with you. However, if you feel the need to use the word in a crowd of black people to describe a black person, be my guest. That's a good way to test your hypothesis.

That was a copy paste direct from the web site I first found using google...I did not capitalize "NOT" it was already capitalized.

It merely was stating that it may have once had racial undertones, but does not any longer. It was originally non-racial, may have gotten racial, and is no longer consider in poor taste.

I would feel completely confident using the statement "call a spade a spade" in the fifth ward. I would not however use the word Negro or republican - both are likely to get you shot.

As to your RUSH quotes, I dont know how many are true - your "source" is a joke....Unless there is an audio clip, or video clip (like on the last one) I am not going to believe it. Rush is hated for his views by the left - they attack him daily - I do not count liberal news organizations as sources unless they have audio or video proof - they have shown they can not be trusted, especially about someone like Rush.

Perhaps Marksmu and other Fox defenders are suggesting that the beliefs and opinions of Fox and its viewers are decidedly NOT mainstream. If such is the case, who are we to disagree?

I take extreme positions on this board to make a point. The left is much louder than the right everywhere except talk radio...now that the right is gaining alot of momentum in print and on TV, the left is scared. The left resorts to marginalization trying to make people believe that fox is not reporting news, but are just reporting propoganda...they are attempting to marginalize FOX because it is reporting on the news that Left does not want reported about.

Step 2, since step 1 failed, is to label the entire Fox network racists. You watch - step 1 failed, step 2 is coming. Its the crutch the Obama administration leans on every single time they start losing.

I am doing to the left exactly what they are doing to the right - the difference is the left is ALLOWED to yell racism when they dont like what is being said, the right is not. Its a double standard, and I am going to call it out every time I see it because the only other place calling it out is FOX news, and you cant trust what they say, they are just a branch of the republican party, nothing but right wing propaganda.

If telling a black listener, whom he had trouble understanding, to "take that bone out of your nose and call me back" isn't a derogatory statement what is in your opinion?

If telling a black listener, whom he had trouble understanding, to "take that bone out of your nose and call me back" isn't a derogatory statement what is in your opinion?

That is an awful statement - its incredibly derogatory - but there was no audio to prove it was said. If he said it on air - there should be proof of it to back it up. I have seen the lies the media makes, if this was an on air statement there is an audio clip of it somewhere...Im not saying it didnt happen, but I am not going to believe till I hear it myself. The media has proven it cant be trusted especially with people they disagree with.

I take extreme positions on this board to make a point. The left is much louder than the right everywhere except talk radio...now that the right is gaining alot of momentum in print and on TV, the left is scared. The left resorts to marginalization trying to make people believe that fox is not reporting news, but are just reporting propoganda...they are attempting to marginalize FOX because it is reporting on the news that Left does not want reported about.

Step 2, since step 1 failed, is to label the entire Fox network racists. You watch - step 1 failed, step 2 is coming. Its the crutch the Obama administration leans on every single time they start losing.

Regardless the point you are trying to make, the only point your 'extreme' positions make is that you hold minority views. It is probably worth noting that these huge viewership numbers that you claim Fox to have represent less than 1% of the population. The 2.6 million average viewers of Fox adds up to less than half of the viewership of CBS News on its worst day (5.3 million)...and CBS News is the worst performing news show of the major networks. Additionally, well over 60 million voters pulled the crank for Obama in November. Fox News' viewership is less than 5% of that total. In fact, it is less than the margin of loss for John McCain.

It is a fool's errand to compare Fox's popularity among Cable news networks to the voting population at large. Indeed, it is the fears of the shrinking white population that Fox, Rush, Hannity and Beck are capitalizing on. As the percentage of whites in the US shrinks, the popularity of extreme views propounded on Fox and in the GOP may rise among a small core group, but it repels all other voters, making a 51% vote total impossible. It is not the left that is marginalizing Fox, it is Fox itself. Democrats outnumber Republicans already, with independents making up roughly 40% of the electorate, Democrats roughly 35% and Republicans roughly 25%. As GOP viewpoints and positions become more conservative and unyielding, moderate Republicans peel off and become independent. Heading for the hard right is not a winning formula. I should know. I left the GOP 16 years ago. Fox has chosen their place to maximize profits. It works well for them. However, it is not a formula for GOP political success. And, by linking Fox and the GOP, the Obama administration is simply helping shrink the GOP by highlighting its narrow hard right appeal. Smart move by Obama.

That is an awful statement - its incredibly derogatory - but there was no audio to prove it was said. If he said it on air - there should be proof of it to back it up. I have seen the lies the media makes, if this was an on air statement there is an audio clip of it somewhere...Im not saying it didnt happen, but I am not going to believe till I hear it myself. The media has proven it cant be trusted especially with people they disagree with.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/limbaugh.asp

"Rush Limbaugh acknowledged making these statements in a 1990 Newsday article"

Same link I posted earlier. You obviously didn't read because it didn't suit your argument.

Note: No audio clip. I've always found SNOPES to be pretty reliable .

http://www.snopes.co...es/limbaugh.asp

"Rush Limbaugh acknowledged making these statements in a 1990 Newsday article"

Same link I posted earlier. You obviously didn't read because it didn't suit your argument.

I did read it, and then I went to the Snopes source - Many of Snopes own sources were questionable...at the same time, that particular one does appear to have more credibility than the others.

Many of the alleged quotes are circular sources...if you look at the source of one article, it is another article, each just quoting another source - none of which had any evidence, except the prior source.

With that said - Reds post was very good. I can honestly say that the network news organizations are liberal. They dont even try to hide it anymore. When NBC hosted Obamas health care "debate" it wrote off any chance it had at objectivity. The questions were loaded, and even the "tough questions" were softballs. I watched the whole thing, and it I could pick huge gaping holes through almost all of it. There simply is not a place to go to get reliable news that does not have an agenda. The network news organizations LOVE Obama - they work with him to portray a message and Obama is getting to control that message.

That is not journalism - they are not questioning things that need to be questioned if they fit the agenda.

There is a large portion of America as much as 50% or greater, who share many of my concerns. ...as much as I may sound like a Right wing extremist, I am actually quite center. If the government would stay away from my money, and quit making up rules we dont need I would gladly sit down and shut up. But the government is not staying out if...it is getting more intrusive every year. Each year they magically find something that requires more Taxes, more regulation, and more restrictions.

I want lower taxes - I want everyone to pay taxes - I want to eliminate welfare - I want accountability - I want the government to stay out of the way of business.

Government is not the solution if they would stop controlling everything, much of it would get better. Its amazing that we got as far as we did in the past 100 years without all the new laws they keep making up every year, and all the new programs.

The media has proven it cant be trusted especially with people they disagree with.

This is nowhere more apparent than on Fox News.

With that said - Reds post was very good. I can honestly say that the network news organizations are liberal.

Wrong, they're lazy. Big difference.

The network news organizations LOVE Obama - they work with him to portray a message and Obama is getting to control that message.

Who wouldn't love an articulate man that makes you feel good about being an American more than a mushmouth fool with a short temper who embarrasses you abroad? You may never have left this country or ever even travelled outside of Houston, but many of us, especially the national press, have. We like not needing to sew Canadian flags on our luggage to avoid harassment.

as much as I may sound like a Right wing extremist, I am actually quite center. If the government would stay away from my money, and quit making up rules we dont need I would gladly sit down and shut up. But the government is not staying out if...it is getting more intrusive every year. Each year they magically find something that requires more Taxes, more regulation, and more restrictions.

Perhaps you could pull an Alexander Supertramp and disappear into a bus in Alaska. Then, you'd never have to worry about taxes or government intrusion again. Of course, you'd also be required to give up all those positive things the government's also responsible for.

...I want lower taxes - I want everyone to pay taxes - I want to eliminate welfare - I want accountability - I want the government to stay out of the way of business.

Government is not the solution if they would stop controlling everything, much of it would get better. Its amazing that we got as far as we did in the past 100 years without all the new laws they keep making up every year, and all the new programs.

AMEN - Obama is destroying the very thing that made the county great. Initiative

There is no doubt that most media outlets are biased. Certainly the three TV networks, ABC, CBS and NBS are pro Obama. George Stephanopolis pees his pants when he talks about the Obama admin. All media outlets cater to their customers, the folks who pay the bills. They generally preach to the converted. Whether they are Rush, Savage, Franken, NPR, Pacifica or Fox. What chaps my ass is that there does not appear to be an outlet preaching to the middle of the road independents. That is what this county really need is a credible third party for the indepenent. Not a third party who attracts the wackos.

Obama's so called war on Fox news just goes to show you that the Obama admin can't stand a dissenting view. We will see who wins during the midterm elections and then again in 3 years.

I want lower taxes - I want everyone to pay taxes - I want to eliminate welfare - I want accountability - I want the government to stay out of the way of business.

Most middle class folks did get a tax cut under Obama's economic stimulus plan. Granted, he didn't borrow upon Bush's political tactic of sending actual checks in the mail, at great additional expense to taxpayers, so it's easier to forget Obama's tax cuts.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN1248080420090217?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

You keep pressing this idea that the U.S. government wants to control "everything". This is as ridiculous as it is false. And ironically, it's in large part the lack of government regulation that enabled the financial crisis that screwed all of us.

Obama's so called war on Fox news just goes to show you that the Obama admin can't stand a dissenting view. We will see who wins during the midterm elections and then again in 3 years.

There's a difference between dissenting views and flat out lies and distortion. If Fox "rodeo clown" News (and the republicans for that matter) were to offer intelligent arguments against Obama's policies, we might have some rational dialog on the topics. But when a media outlet like Fox continually and purposefully presents lies as news, someone has to call them out on it.

Most middle class folks did get a tax cut under Obama's economic stimulus plan. Granted, he didn't borrow upon Bush's political tactic of sending actual checks in the mail, at great additional expense to taxpayers, so it's easier to forget Obama's tax cuts.

http://uk.reuters.co...lBrandChannel=0

You keep pressing this idea that the U.S. government wants to control "everything". This is as ridiculous as it is false. And ironically, it's in large part the lack of government regulation that enabled the financial crisis that screwed all of us.

The US Government does want to control everything. Whether they control it through regulation, or taxation, or registration it is still control. Its difficult to think of anything they don't have their fingers in.

They dont have to directly control each item, if they control everything it takes to produce market or deliver it.

AMEN - Obama is destroying the very thing that made the county great. Initiative

And once he's done destroying initiative and free enterprise, he's coming after the all fetuses and straight people! Run! Run for your baby-lovin', opposite-sex-partner-screwin' lives!

Obama:

godzilla001.jpg

"RAWR!!"

Who wouldn't love an articulate man that makes you feel good about being an American more than a mushmouth fool with a short temper who embarrasses you abroad? You may never have left this country or ever even travelled outside of Houston, but many of us, especially the national press, have. We like not needing to sew Canadian flags on our luggage to avoid harassment.

Interesting. So you pretend you're a Canadian when traveling? I've never felt harassed nor know anyone who's told me they were harassed for being an American when traveling abroad. Maybe I've just got thicker skin or am not insecure about who I am and where I come from. Wouldn't it have been better to explain to those who harassed you that you disagreed with Bush's policies and let them see that America isn't just its president?

They dont have to directly control each item, if they control everything it takes to produce market or deliver it.

A government that governs? That is shocking! Something must be done about this at once!

Interesting. So you pretend you're a Canadian when traveling? I've never felt harassed nor know anyone who's told me they were harassed for being an American when traveling abroad. Maybe I've just got thicker skin or am not insecure about who I am and where I come from. Wouldn't it have been better to explain to those who harassed you that you disagreed with Bush's policies and let them see that America isn't just its president?

Or, perhaps it was hyperbole and apparently so.

Edit: And, if you've never been harassed for your Americanness, then perhaps you've never ventured farther out than the borders of your all-inclusive resort in Cancun. There are a lot of America haters out there, and they were especially vocal during Bush II's reign.

See, now you're bordering on something called a "cult of personality" where you are willing to blindly follow a leader's point of view without questioning and THAT is a dangerous thing onto itself.

I don't want a leader that the world loves, I want a leader everyone RESPECTS. From the various news sources around the world, not every leader thinks highly of our president.

I don't like Foxnews delivers its news, but the substance behind it should be considered.

A government that governs? That is shocking! Something must be done about this at once!

Or, perhaps it was hyperbole and apparently so.

Edit: And, if you've never been harassed for your Americanness, then perhaps you've never ventured farther out than the borders of your all-inclusive resort in Cancun. There are a lot of America haters out there, and they were especially vocal during Bush II's reign.

Just because you hate America doesnt mean we have to. This country used to reward people for hard work. Now its just increased taxes. If you dont want to work, fine we understand, work is stressful and its usually not that fun; you dont have to work you just wont get as much stuff. I mean dont get me wrong, we are still going to make sure you have a house, a car, clothes, cell phone, cable tv, furniture, food, and other essentials....Your things just wont be quite as nice as the guy who spends 8-10 hours a day working for them.

Those of us who do work, are sick of supporting those who do not. At some point it stops being welfare and its just a handout. I think we crossed that point. Welfare was supposed to be a hand up for those in times of need, and now its a hand out to anyone who wants it.

And I have traveled my fair share - not extensively, but my fair share - Canada, Mexico, UK, Antigua, Norway, Scotland, and France....and I have never been embarrassed to be American. The only place I was even smirked at was in France when ordering off a french menu in English, and I simply looked at the guy with his smug look on his face and said I dont speak French, do you speak English, he said yes - and I said well then lets do this in English. He looked pissy and muttered something to another waiter, and I said I can take my money somewhere else, at which point, a more senior looking person in the restaurant overheard the conversation and apologized in English, gave us a free appetizer and then took our order in English.

The only times I am embarrassed to be an American is when we have Obama going and embarassing the office of the president, bowing to Saudi Kings and apologizing to other countries for being better than them.

I've never been to Cancun. Is it nice there? I have, however, been to Europe and South America several times in the last 2 decades, including two trips during the Bush years. I've never felt harassed about being an American. I've had some exasperation due to my poor French, Italian, and Spanish, but that happens to everyone. Maybe you should get out more often.

See, now you're bordering on something called a "cult of personality" where you are willing to blindly follow a leader's point of view without questioning and THAT is a dangerous thing onto itself.

I don't want a leader that the world loves, I want a leader everyone RESPECTS. From the various news sources around the world, not every leader thinks highly of our president.

I don't like Foxnews delivers its news, but the substance behind it should be considered.

Probably true, but then again, respect is typically earned rather than given outright. Bush earned the worlds respect after 9/11, but he managed to lose that respect through the preemptive war against Iraq and his many failures in diplomacy. Obama is on a path towards earning the respect of his peers, and his diplomatic style makes it more likely he'll retain that respect over time. The fact that Obama is charismatic and charming has obviously helped him.

Actually, I'd just settle for a leader who leads. I get the feeling that the US is being led more by Nancy Pelosi than anyone else.

1) See, now you're bordering on something called a "cult of personality" where you are willing to blindly follow a leader's point of view without questioning and THAT is a dangerous thing onto itself.

2) I don't want a leader that the world loves, I want a leader everyone RESPECTS. From the various news sources around the world, not every leader thinks highly of our president.

3) I don't like Foxnews delivers its news, but the substance behind it should be considered.

See how I numbered your paragraphs for ease of discussion? I don't want to confuse anyone present...

1) That's an awfully bold leap to say that since I'm prouder to call Obama my president than that last asshat that I'll blindly follow the charge of his Light Brigade. Mine is to reason why. Mine is not to do or die. That's your lot.

2) Yeah, there are some newspapers in Pyongyang and Myanmar that don't reference Obama highly, but I can't recall a time when they ever referenced any American highly. So effing what? Simply because not everyone is fawning over him he's not respected? Your logic is warped.

3) There is no substance behind their delivery!!!! Have you been reading along with the rest of the class?!!

Just because you hate America doesnt mean we have to.

Who said I hated America? Who said I was embarassed to be an American? You're making some fairly inaccurate estimates of my character and my patriotism, but I suppose now's the time for me to recognize my complete and total annihilation of your arguments. When a right-winger resorts to calling a fellow citizen an America hater for disagreeing with him, that means every other talking point of theirs has been exhaustively refuted. I win. You lose. Next time don't start such a dumb thread.

I've never been to Cancun. Is it nice there? I have, however, been to Europe and South America several times in the last 2 decades, including two trips during the Bush years. I've never felt harassed about being an American. I've had some exasperation due to my poor French, Italian, and Spanish, but that happens to everyone. Maybe you should get out more often.

Two trips during the Bush regime? All eight years of it? Well, I suppose I must really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about and should defer to you with your wealth of experience, shouldn't I?

Actually, I'd just settle for a leader who leads. I get the feeling that the US is being led more by Nancy Pelosi than anyone else.

Because that's what Fox News tells you to think.

And nothing scares a white christian male more than a strong, liberal female in power?

You're making some assumptions that might not bear out in the real world. Regardless of that, shouldn't it be the President who was elected by vote of the entire polity who leads rather than a Congresswoman elected by the voters of San Francisco?

Well, I suppose I must really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about and should defer to you with your wealth of experience, shouldn't I?

I'm glad we agree on something.

Because that's what Fox News tells you to think.

Your assumptions are interesting, too.

You're making some assumptions that might not bear out in the real world. Regardless of that, shouldn't it be the President who was elected by vote of the entire polity who leads rather than a Congresswoman elected by the voters of San Francisco?

Are you aware of the way our government, specifically our congress, works and has worked for over the past 250 years? It's not going to change simply because you don't like those currently vested with the burden of responsibility.

I'm glad we agree on something.

We don't. It was sarcasm. Good job picking up on the context clues (hint: also sarcasm).

Archived