North Main

citykid09

While in Houston the other day I accidentally ended up on North Main street. This area look really bad! The area looked very poor with lots of Mexiacn type business. the area kind of looke like a (small) downtown. The street was bad, I don't think it even had curbs. Finally I headed under a tunnel and Started to go in to Downton Houston. Much diffent from that area. Houston really needs to fix that area. It's very bad!

When we got in to Downtown it was nice, exept for everything closes really early (sept. 10, 2004 about 4:30) there were people walking around but there was nothing to go to. Finally we went in to the Foley's. It stinks in there and it looked old and scary. after using the bathroom in Foley's we took the elevator down in to the basment of the store. There were resturants down there, but none where open. there was also a sign that said Berry Hill Tamiles coming soon. There were doors that lead in to the tunnle system from there but we did not go in, we went up the escalator to the ground level and went out. From there we walked around Downtown Houston, it was pretty nice except for nothing really to do and when you looked straight a head of you, you could see the end of downtown, and I like it to look never ending with building going on forever. After all of that we decided to go eat at the Hard Rock Cafe. We went in and were pretty much the only ones in there. Is it always like this? After we left there some tourist asked us to take their picture. so we did and head for the car to go back home. Over all I thought Downtown Houston was pretty cool except for not to many people walking around but there was alot of traffic. the center where the Hard Rock Cafe is, was almost completly empty.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

downtown proper would have been better after 7pm on a friday. also, the n. main area is ripe for development. there have been investors buying up property in this area between i-45 & i-10 for years. the light rail northern extension will pass through this area and there are street and beautification projects in the planning stages.

City kid, you're right, that is a really bad area right now... and it is very poor. Not to worry though, since property values are going up, up, up! and with the light rail coming through there soon, you can rest assured that those poor people will soon be out of there! :)

City kid, you're right, that is a really bad area right now... and it is very poor.  Not to worry though, since property values are going up, up, up! and with the light rail coming through there soon, you can rest assured that those poor people will soon be out of there! :)

how are the poor being taxed out of their neighborhoods a good thing?

There is nothing wrong with being poor, it's nasty that I don't like. Poor people in these areas make there selfs look bad, with couches and lazyboys in there front yard. I know that it's the city job to fix the streets, but the people that live in a neghborhood should take pride in there neghborhood (they should start caring)!

Add some duct tape, several years of sweat, and crumbs, as well as assorted dried skin and dirt, and that's what you have.

I agree that there really isn't much to do downtown during the day on weekends. It's so dead that it's embarassing to take out of towners to lunch on Saturday or Sunday--if you can find an open restaurant to begin with.

Why isn't the city doing more to lure residents downtown (e.g., tax abatements; pushing for more affordable development)? Without many more (i.e., 20,000-30,000) permanent residents living downtown you can forget about the urban renaissance we've been hearing so much about coming to fruition.

I partially blame the city for not doing what it can to jumpstart the influx of residents. (Of course, I'm certain that the city and the prospective developers aren't engaging in any backroom deals that might thwart the advent of affordable housing.) <_<

I couldn't agree more! Right on....

Houston - and Mayor White - need to wake up and smell the coffee if they truly want to create a 24-hour downtown. The examples are out there - take a look at San Diego and Portland. They offer residents and developers great tax incentives to move into the downtown core of both cities - and voila! - they have thriving residential bases and a blooming retail core. I was in Portland over Labor Day after a three year absense - and the Pearl District (like Houston's Midtown) and the downtown area were thriving with thousands of new residential units and a plethora of shopping options. There were people everywhere! Hotels were sold out, restaurants were full, and there was an energy that just filled the area. It was truly impressive.

It is really sad that Houston has almost three times the population base (metro area) of Portland, yet our downtown doesn't hold a candle to theirs. We have impressive buildings and light rail - all the parts are there - but the relatively easy step of aiding residents and developers in the area is totally missing here. I blame it on conservative, if not ignorant (and I mean that in the true definition of the word), leaders and a truly incompetent planning staff (both within the city and within groups like Central Houston, Inc.). There is a real lack in progressive incentives and creative solutions to attracting residents - and retailers - downtown. Witness how dead the areas around the Convention Center, Minute Maid Park, and the Toyota Center are... the city promised that these would bring a surge in adjacent development. They were very, very wrong... they are massive buildings sitting in a sea of parking and overgrown lots. Stadiums themselves don't bring additional development - it takes a real understanding of real estate markets and what can build and sustain true mixed-use, 24-hour environments. I'm sad to report that in this town very, very few - despite an active development community - have a clue as to how to achieve this. :(

I absolutely hate North Main St. It needs a lot of help. Once the light rail goes through it will look like Main Street through the Medical Center, or was that Fannin. I am not sure because the switch in between Main, Fannin, and Greenbriar through that area and Reliant Park.

What's the point of downtown being 24X7? Is this some kind of romantic notion? What real purpoe would it serve?

And considering how many other parts of Houston have things to do and round the clock activity, can we really support two?

This is Texas, not California. We have a lot less handouts in these parts, and that's a good thing.

Hell, Westheimer from Uptown to Westchase is about as 24-hours as you're gonna get. Does the fact that it's suited more for people who don't mind driving make it less of a 24-hour spot? That seems to be the implication.

I agree that expanded retail beyond Houston Center and Foley's would be a great thing for downtown on the weekends, though. I've taken Subdude's approach to it: be patient; it'll come. Maybe/probably not exactly how you'd prefer to see it, but it'll be there.

• 3 months later...
What's the point of downtown being 24X7?  Is this some kind of romantic notion?  What real purpoe would it serve?

And considering how many other parts of Houston have things to do and round the clock activity, can we really support two?

This is Texas, not California.  We have a lot less handouts in these parts, and that's a good thing.

Highways are handouts. Never forget that. Pure, unadulterated welfare for real estate developers and rural land owners.

• 5 months later...

CityKid:

It stinks in there and it looked old and scary. after using the bathroom in Foley's we took the elevator down in to the basment of the store

I agree, it does smell weird in there. like some old fashioned dye from the old clothes that settled into the carpet.

I absolutely hate North Main St. It needs a lot of help. Once the light rail goes through it will look like Main Street through the Medical Center, or was that Fannin. I am not sure because the switch in between Main, Fannin, and Greenbriar through that area and Reliant Park.

Amen! We also need to bulldoze the East End, the South Side, and the remaining poor pockets around Washington Ave! Soon everything inside the Loop will look like the Med Center!!! Yesssssss!!! [/sarcasm]

Sorry to be an ___ but what's wrong with North Main? I think it's got character and potential. I love the historical buildings along North Main, and the fact that it doesn't look like the suburbs. The area lends itself to a pedestrian lifestyle (which is great, since many of the residents of the area don't have cars). I not saying it's all wine and roses there, but it's not the end of the world. I'd pick living off North Main over the 'burbs any day! (...nothing wrong with the 'burbs, they're just too far out and not my style.)

There are only a handful of things that need to change on North Main, and those changes need to take place in specific areas along North Main rather than North Main as a whole.

1) Redoing the tunnel (is it the Kinney Tunnel?) under I-10. Dark, dirty and decaying.

2) Repave the stretch between I-10 and I-45. That alone would make the street look healthier.

3) Develop a neighborhood initiative that will put pressure (both monetarily and psychologically) on commercial property owners who don't maintain their properties, such as the meat market at Main and (I think) Quitman.

4) Add some trees along North Main. Palms would seem to go well but cypresses would work, too.

From I-45 to about Crosstimbers, the street has been redone and there are new businesses moving in. Not as visually stimulating as Heights Blvd. or 11th Street but showing promise.

From Crosstimbers to I-610, repaving needs to continue and sidewalks need to be repaired.

From I-610 to North Main's northern termination point (ie, Independence Heights), the street needs widening, sidewalks redone (or added) and general redevelopment of vacant or dying properties into more modern structures is necessary. There is not only a lack of viable retail along this stretch but there is a lack of occupancy in general as well. Unoccupied structures in relatively low income areas only add to its generally unpleasing appearance. I think as the southern stretches of North Main are redeveloped/renovated, it will eventually began to spill over into the Independence Heights area--probably not on the same scale, but at least enough to improve the look of the corridor in this area.

no offense to anybody, but i really think the city neglects the north side as far as funding. i don't see how anything could really appeal to someone up there because the city has left it alone. it is quite sad when the only parts that are nice are a newly sprung up suburban community and some businesses on 1960. Because of this, I rarely found myself on the north side of houston and found little need for it unless I am going to the airport.

Texasboy, Greenspoint is the only area north of the Beltway along I-45 that is part of the city. Areas to the north of that may be in a special annexation, but this means the city will not provide any services ard care for the area. It's just a political setup so the operating districts (MUDs and UDs) can access the sales tax revenue. Remember, just becasue you see city of Houston storm and sanitary sewer manholes does not mean its part of the city.

And great Hizzy, I would not suggest Cypress trees in a neighborhood specifically one that is becoming more urban in the future. Cypress trees are detrimental to foundation and roads more than any other tree.

north main at i-45 should be a "gateway" to downtown and the main street district. when and if the hardy rail yard project gets underway, the funding for infrastructure in this area will increase (this may already be in the works). people coming in to houston from out of town or passing through should have easy, identifiable access to the main street corridor.

Texasboy, Greenspoint is the only area north of the Beltway along I-45 that is part of the city.  Areas to the north of that may be in a special annexation, but this means the city will not provide any services ard care for the area.  It's just a political setup so the operating districts (MUDs and UDs) can access the sales tax revenue.  Remember, just becasue you see city of Houston storm and sanitary sewer manholes does not mean its part of the city.

And great Hizzy, I would not suggest Cypress trees in a neighborhood specifically one that is becoming more urban in the future.  Cypress trees are detrimental to foundation and roads more than any other tree.

I have to be confusing cypresses with some other tree. Magnolia maybe? What are the names of the trees that you see along the streets in the historic district, specifically the sidewalks?

cypress trees have light green short needles with wavy trunks. they are shaped somewhat like a christmas tree. magnolia trees (houston area variety) have large, somewhat oval leaves which are dark green and waxy in appearance. the magnolia's have a sweet smelling large white/ivory bloom. these trees can be several stories high with a very wide canopy.

I have a small version of Magnolia in my yard. It is only expected to reach about 20 feet high and 10 feet of canopy.

that sounds like another type of magnolia tree with early spring purple/white blooms. i don't remember the correct name? my mom called them "tulip trees". now that i think of it, there is a smaller version of the giant magnolias i described earlier.

i digress. what was the subject of this thread? oh yeah, north main. ;)

One positive about the I-10 to I-10 stretch (where the north line rail extension is to go) is that there is a lot of urban-minded infrastructure from which to work. No overbearing parking lots, decent sidewalk widths (that merely neet to be renovated) and lots of historic architecture--nothing too tacky or unsightly.

I could see something like the Almeda redo taking place in this corridor.

Archived